All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Yikes, I'm heading up to my first hyno appointment tomorrow!
      #262315 - 05/08/06 01:34 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

When I first got my appointment it seemed so far in the future (14 weeks), but now it feels like it's come around in just a matter of days! I'm really nervous already, as it involves more car travel than I've done in about 8 months, and I've had a bad tum the past 2 days. I keep trying to relax, but it's so hard! Jamie's come home from work today with a really bad migraine, so I don't feel like I can really dump it on him tonight either. (He's in bed in a darkened room at the moment bless him)

My plan/iteneray so far, which I've carefully planned to both help my stomach and reduce my anxiety:

3pm tomorrow - drive up to my parents house, about a 35/40 minute drive. Jamie will drive up to join me after tea, but I want to get this first leg done first as my car's just out the garage and I'd rather test it in the light.

7/8pm tomorrow - we head over to Cheshire to the hotel. Should take about 1hr 45min I think (used to make the journey weekly but it's been so longed I'm damned if I can remember! Tho just checked routeplanner and it says 1hr 15min door to door, so fingers crossed...)

Wednesday - my appointment is at 10.30am, and they ask you to get there no earlier than 10.15. We are 3miles away, routeplanner says just 9 minutes away, so will leave at 10, as we have to park in a public car park, etc, and I'll definitely need the loo soon as I get there.

So that's my plan! By doing the first bit up to my parents I'm trying to break the journey down a bit for me. If my car is ok we'll be taking mine and I'll be driving, which is always best for my anxiety as I'm in control. Have even planned my food, after eating 99% safe food today - bagel for breakfast tomorrow, small sandwich for dinner, baked potato for tea, bag of Walkers Lites Ready Salted for snack on way to Manchester. Taking small sandwiches as packup for Wednesday, and, depending on my tum, will have either half of one for breakfast, or no breakfast at all. Will be taking at least 6 Immodium both days to try to keep my D under check.

Everyone please keep your fingers crossed for me! I'm guessing this first session won't actually involve hypno, more an introduction thing, but don't really know. I will have to make the same trip once a week for 12 weeks, but the stress is definitely worth it if the hypno helps. Can't believe how long I've been nearly entirely housebound for!!

Yikes, the butterflies are giving me stomach cramps already... Think it's the journeys rather than the actual session, as for the second leg there are no toilets for about 30 mins, which is terrifying for me at the moment. Usually once I'm in an appointment with someone new who I hope can help me my concentration on them and what they're saying gets me through ok. (Touch wood) Though I'll be nearly poooping myself before I go in, can't help it!

Oh flip, need to run to toilet...

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

LOTS OF HUGS AND HAPPY TUMMY THOUGHTS.... new
      #262317 - 05/08/06 01:42 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

are coming your way right now....GOOD LUCK....you dont need it....everything will go fine....POSTIVE THINKING....thats what its all about!!! I know this is gona be great for you and Im proud of you for taking this step to getting yourself better so you can live a better life! Keep smiling....will be thinking of you....let us know how you get on!

P.S Thanks for the email..you are SUCH a great writer....u might have seen my post about having decided to defer....well Im gona speak to the tutors and hopefully they will support me. Thanks for all ur great advice...you are an inspiration in all that you've had to cope with in ur little life....god...and I think I have stress!! U are a fantastic person....you deserve to be happy and pain free....LOTS AND LOTS OF HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: LOTS OF HUGS AND HAPPY TUMMY THOUGHTS.... new
      #262318 - 05/08/06 01:51 PM
Blondie13

Thanks Nat, really appreciate your support. Particularly because you've already been through it and come out the other end much better for it - definitely inspiration! I'll hopefully have time to make a quick post tomorrow before I leave for my parents, but it'll be Wednesday evening UK time before I get chance to post how I've done - so keep those happy tummy thoughts coming! I'll be thinking about your meeting with your tutor too - good luck (though as I said on the other thread, faced with your determined decision I'm really sure they'll be right behind you).

It's funny, in writing that email it only actually dawned on me how much stuff happened in such a short period of time, and like I said it's probably no suprise my body chose IBS as a way to slow it all down! It was also pretty cathartic to write about it .

Never thought of myself as a great writer- maybe I should do that to try to make some money!!

--------------------

Re: LOTS OF HUGS AND HAPPY TUMMY THOUGHTS.... new
      #262320 - 05/08/06 02:34 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Good luck! I think its great that you have it all planned out like that, it should help to take some of the stress off! Let us know how it goes!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Good Luck Blondie! new
      #262328 - 05/08/06 03:49 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

This is a huge positive step for you- and you are very organised. Hope it goes great for you.

--------------------
S.

Re: Good Luck Blondie! new
      #262337 - 05/08/06 04:22 PM
Blondie13

Thanks Sinead! Now if only I can stop these damn cramps and feel a little more able to go to bed at a reasonable hour...!

(Though I see from peeking on 'Who's Online' I'm not alone - it's me, you and Nat - the UK late night posse I guess!

--------------------

Good Luck!! new
      #262346 - 05/08/06 04:54 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I wish you the best of luck tomorrow!! And HUGS!!!! Take care and let us know how you did when you're back!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: Yikes, I'm heading up to my first hyno appointment tomorrow! new
      #262468 - 05/09/06 09:49 AM
Blondie13

Well, I'm off!!

Had a really bad tummy day so wasn't able to leave at 3 is planned, but shall be leaving in about 45 minutes, giving myself the time, now I'm completley ready, to chill out on the toilet!

Keep your fingers crossed for me, and plenty of happy tummy vibes both today and tomorrow... I'll post soon as I get back

--------------------

GOOD LUCK!!! new
      #262470 - 05/09/06 10:02 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Has it happened yet?

Good Luck Blondie! new
      #262471 - 05/09/06 10:06 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Can't wait to hear all about your appointment. Sounds like you have everything planned out. I know that always helps me keep my tummy calm. Especially if I can map out all the bathrooms along the way. Just knowing where they are keeps me calm and most of the time I can travel without a problem.

Think how great you are going to feel when you get back from your trip.

--------------------
Janey

It'll be great!! Good luck! -nt new
      #262506 - 05/09/06 11:07 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: UPDATE: Everything fell apart new
      #262780 - 05/11/06 04:47 AM
Blondie13

So I really don't feel like writing this, I really don't feel like anything but curling up in bed and staying there, but everyone's been so great they deserve to know what happened, and I've left it long enough already. I'll be as brief as I can, but at least I've explained before I disappear.

We got to Manchester, after a day of stuff going wrong and delays and bad tums, etc. Had about 8 Immodium. Got to hotel about 10.30pm, and was told it was overbooked and we didn't have a room, despite booking a month ago. Turns out there were also no hotels in the city, or even the surrounding towns. The receptionist, J, my parents and his parents spent the next 2 hours on the phone/web trying to find somewhere to sleep. We finally find a room - 40 miles away (original hotel was just 2 miles from the hospital). We drive to new hotel, and of course there's roadworks. We finally get there just before 1am. By this time I've taken a load more Immodium as of course my tum went crackers and the effects of the previous ones wore off. We order room service for J, because he'd intended to eat at the intended hotel's restaurant. Problem after problem, but it finally arrives about 1.45am. We got to bed around 2am.

I've realised by this point I need to take Immodium all night, as my carefully laid plans were completely screwed. So I take 1 and 2 Lomatil before bed, set my alarm for 6am to take 2 more Lomatil, then get up at 7.15 and keep taking them regularly til we leave. It's a fraught journey, with roadworks, and I'm always bad in the morning anyway.

However we get there 15 min early. Next half hour is like a scene out of a comedy sketch show,but I don't have the energy to descirbe it now. Needless to say things carried on going wrong as I scuttled back and forth in and out the toilet.

Anyway, I finally get in to my appointment and all goes well - I'm doing all right diet-wise, he changes my meds, puts my mind at rest at taking as many Immodium as I need (he has patients who take 16 a day just as a maintenance dose, without even having to leave the house), we discuss my history which apparently made me predisposed to IBS and he ends by confirming I am an ideal patient for hypnotherapy.

Then BANG. The world disappears from under my feet, and my hope and optimism is ripped away. He says "Yes, definitely an ideal candidate for hypnotherapy, but of course unfortunatley there is a 9 month waiting list..." NINE MONTH WAITING LIST??!!! Turns out my original 4 month waiting list was just for this initial consultation, it's a further 9 months until my first session.

Not only do I not feel like I can get through another 9 months like this, another summer trapped, housebound, in my house while everyone lives and enjoys life outside, but this will also mean I have to do my sessions in the winter - when the roads between Manchester and Sheffield are frequently closed, and conditions treacherous. And I won't get into a car in snow now, after the accident I had earlier this year.

All my hope and strength has gone. The adrenilin kept me going yesterday, and after a 4 hour trip home (should be 1.5, but traffic) just vegged in front of the tv, with a hot water bottle at my back and stomach for the pain. I cried myself to sleep, but woke up lots during the night and cried some more. Stayed in bed this morning til noon, and even now just curled up on sofa in my dressing gown, all greasy hair shiny skin, but don't care. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do, this is all that has been keeping me going for months, and it was hard enough making it through 4 months, but another 9 is unbearable.

I was depressed before, but now I can't even describe how I feel. Everyone's being great, trying to be positive, but they can't really understand how I feel, this is just one stress too far.

Everyone on here has also been great, and so supportive (particularly Nat, thanks for your texts darlin, they really helped), so I just wanted to explain. I need to, er, I don't even know what I need to do. I'm all cried out, now just feel numb, like I'm walking around in a trance. Jamie's leaving work early to come be at home with me.

It's all unbelievable. I've had so much bad luck over the past couple of years, and I really felt like this was my chance to turn it all around. Why did I even bother thinking something good might happen? I must have been truly evil in a past life.

--------------------

((((HUGS)))))))) new
      #262782 - 05/11/06 05:01 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Oh Blondie!! I feel so aweful for you!! You were so prepared for your trip and nothing went how you planned it, and to top it off that waiting list for the hypo is terrible!! I wish I knew what to tell you that would take away all of your pain and disappointment. I really don't know what to say. I'm sorry you are so sick with your IBS. I have it lucky I guess. I still lead a fairly active life. All I can do is send you ((((((((((((( HUGS )))))))))) and encourage you to continue like you were before this aweful couple of days. Remember, little steps - you made it to the store with no preparation! You can build on that! Take care sweetie!!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Right.... new
      #262791 - 05/11/06 05:55 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

...first things first....LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of hugs......and I am SO SO SO sorry it didnt end up being the fruitful journey that you had so hoped for. I can't believe your bad luck on that day....I really don't even know what to say about that one. Im going to text you and email you a proper response....and I know right now you're probably feeling like your life has ended, but I PROMISE you....YOU WILL GET BETTER...I know people are going to constantly keep saying these things to you...I had it over and over again back when I was so sick and I used to think....how the hell would they know what if Im just one of those people who is destined to be sick for the rest of my life....but please trust me....YOU WILL!! Theres some stuff Im gona email you cos it might be a bit controversial here so check your mail asap.....

((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

--------------------
Natalie

I'm so sorry new
      #262798 - 05/11/06 07:05 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi blondie I really am so sorry to hear that...I was crying along with you when I read your post. you may not want to hear it, I don't know what you believe but I'll be praying for you and if you don't mind will ask my house prayer group to pray too. Sometimes we have to hit rockbottom before we can come back up ( don't know why I said that cos I hate that saying but it seemed to fit) and I'm sure that's how you feel at the mo. So all I can say is I really hope and pray that things look up, I'll be praying for a miracle breakthrough for you and all other Christians on this site please do to ( I don't think I need have asked that-I'm sure you would do already )
lots of love and hugs
Vicky
xxx

Re: UPDATE: Everything fell apart new
      #262800 - 05/11/06 07:23 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

That is HORRIBLE, I can't even sugar coat any of it. I'm so sorry.

Nine months is ridiculous. Is there any other treatment option out there that you think could help????

Re: Yikes, I'm heading up to my first hyno appointment tomorrow! new
      #262802 - 05/11/06 07:30 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

So sorry to hear about all that. Are the CDs an option for you? A lot of us have had a ton of luck with them.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Blondie new
      #262812 - 05/11/06 08:15 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Sorry to hear the day went so badly for you.

The hotel deserve a stinker of a stinker of a letter, mentioning hospital appointment, undue stress etc..get AT LEAST a free night out of them for another time.

It is good that you are an ideal candidate for the hypno, but I know that you are more than ready to be "cured" and the idea of waiting any more time at all is like all your hope being taken away. That is perfectly understandable given how sick you have been.

Some of the girls have suggested the CDs and it sounds like a good plan IMO- it has worked for others here and you could have them in a matter of days as opposed to months.

hang in there, hugs

--------------------
S.

Re: ((((HUGS)))))))) new
      #262820 - 05/11/06 08:33 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh sweetie, that just plain sucks! I'm so sorry! Its awful that they think the hypno will help but are making you wait so long, talk about cruel! Have you tried the hypno tapes from Heathers site yet? Maybe that might help until your appointments? I wish I had something better to say to cheer you up. I understand the frustration and pain but just keep taking it one day at a time. Love and hugs!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I'm so sorry new
      #262836 - 05/11/06 08:54 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Blondie,

I am so sorry that things did not turn out the way you had planed. It is very disappointing when you have such hope for something to work out and it doesn't.

You should check into Michaels hypno tapes you can get here. A lot of people have gone through his program, including me, and it does help.

Yesterday when I was feeling down my 16 yo daughter asked me what was wrong. I started talking about all the things that are worrying me right now and she wisely said, "Mom, you have to take it one day at a time or you will worry youself sick". She is right. Don't think too far ahead just deal with each day otherwise you will be overwhelmed.

Big hugs,

--------------------
Janey

Re: I'm so sorry new
      #262846 - 05/11/06 09:47 AM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUGS I hope you are o.k. I know what we say probably won`t make a difference but we are all thinking of you. The bloody NHS are all aboyut waiting and waiting...I`m waiting ages just to check my ibs isn`t anything else!

Just try and stay positive, at least it will happen eventually. You could try those hypnosis tapes until the treatment? I think a few others might have said that. I know its hard and its horrible to be down...but we`re all here to support u on here. BIG HUGS.
Keep your chin up hun, get some well deserved rest and lots of sunshine to keep your spirits up.

Jo x

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

Re: Thanks to everyone, you've all been so supportive new
      #262861 - 05/11/06 11:57 AM
Blondie13

Well, I'm back... When something major happens I tend to curl up into a ball and lick my wounds for a good while, not wanting to talk about it, or even speak to anyone full stop. However, I've done that all day today, but (without me even trying) I seem to be coming out of it a tiny bit. And I think having all the support on here from people who know how I feel has played a big part in that!

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel great - I'm exhausted, both physically and mentally, my heart keeps going funny (I have low blood pressure and sometimes have palpitations), I have this weird stiff, aching, swollen thumb joint that's got worse over the past few days and is driving me crazy, I have no energy and I have a thumper of a headache. BUT I don't feel like I want to just disappear, which I did do yesterday/earlier today.

And there is a glimmer of hope - you can also have the hypnotherapy privately. It costs £80 a session, and of course there are 12 sessions, BUT whilst it isn't covered by my private health insurer now (BUPA, through my dad's job), they presented to BUPA last week and showed them a completely cured patient and apparently they were really impressed - so they think they will start to cover it again. The private waiting list is 4/5 months, which is at least better than 9 months. My mum has told me to switch to the private waiting list, in the hope that BUPA will start to cover it in the meantime, and that even if they don't she'll pay it, even though it will be nearly £1000.

It sounds simple that this is the best thing to do - but I have a huge problem accepting help/gifts off people and feeling like I am dependent on them. I've spent a lifetime being the person helping others out, whether emotionally or financially, and this is so difficult!

Anyway, I have to snap out of this, even if it means I have to deal with it at a later date because we have one of Jamie's friends here now (though he's had stomach problems and understands), his mum is coming later so I can help her do a Powerpoint presentation (my speciality!), and I have 2 essays due the 26th and 27th of May that I haven't even started yet - and if I don't do them I fail my degree, which would make this year even more wasted.

God this is so hard! I thought that at this moment I would be starting the journey to being cured, not sitting here staring out the window wondering how the hell I'm going to carry on dealing with this.

BUT, massive thankyous to everyone who's commiserated with me and supported me! I really appreciate it, and it's helping me deal with this. I feel so weak, but it feels like you're all loaning me a little bit of your strength.

--------------------

Re: Right.... new
      #262891 - 05/11/06 03:22 PM
Blondie13

Thanks Nat, and for your texts and email - you are such a great person! Off to reply to your email now.

Hoping you're doing ok too!! ((HUGS))

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1057 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5895

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review