All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
This is weird.... (friendship-related)
      #262250 - 05/08/06 07:43 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I posted a while back about losing touch with two friends from back home.

Last week I decided to send one of the girls a letter since I didn't have her email address. When I opened my emails this morning there was an email from her. But she hadn't received anything as she was just asking how I've been and wanted to make sure I was ok.

Ok weird!!!! But it was very nice to hear from her.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: This is weird.... (friendship-related) new
      #262335 - 05/08/06 04:09 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Sometimes letters between the US and Canada can take up to 2 weeks.

#262341 - 05/08/06 04:32 PM
Sara-Sage

Yep, I know!

#262342 - 05/08/06 04:33 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I meant to respond to your old thread and tell you I'm in a similar boat (tho not exactly the same). I had a very best friend Sarah from 9th grade through college. We had our ups and downs but overall we were extremely close. She even lived with my family for 6 months when we were 16/17, we travelled to Europe together twice, etc. We had a huge falling out right before I started law school. I won't get into it but basically she always had this guardian angel complex about me, always thought she had to protect me, even though I have 2 brothers and 8 cousins who already do that enough to drive me nuts. Anyway she said a few things that I know were out of concern but that really crossed the line. I always felt like she didn't see me as a peer or as someone capable of making her own decisions. Well, we had a huge blowup and never reconciled. We both made a couple half-assed efforts to get in touch with the other, but each time the person on the receiving end rebuffed. I'm as guilty of that as she was. So, now 3 years later I'm about to finish law school and have had no contact with her. Last week when I was home at my parents' house my mom showed me her WEDDING ANNOUNCEMENT in the paper. Turns out she was married in October to a guy she'd just started dating when she and I fell apart. At first I was just happy for her, but then it started eating away at me. I was so sad that I'd missed out on the "I'm engaged" phone call, that I didn't get to throw her bachelorette party, that I missed her bridal shower, and that her older sister with whom she did not get along was her maid of honor. I should have been there. I am so sad over all of it. I looked up her husband in the town where the paper said they were living and last week I sent a card. All it said was that I saw the annoucnement, that she looked beautiful, and that I hoped she was happy. I mentioned that seeing that in the paper made me realize how many good things we'd missed out on in each other's lives. I said I hoped she and her husband were very happy and that I wished them the best. I've had a stomach ache since I dropped it in the mailbox on Tuesday. We'll see if she writes back. My return address was on the envelope but I didn't ask her to write back or anything. So, I hope you are glad that you and your friend had simultaneous impulses to get back in touch. Losing a friend hurts a lot!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#262350 - 05/08/06 05:32 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Tina,

I am glad that she sent you an e-mail. She will have a nice surprise when she receives your letter. Did you mention how you feel about her not writing you in your letter?

My 16 year old daughter was talking about some drama with friends the other day and I told her that when she reaches my age she will be able to count her really good friends on one hand. I have found that to be true the older I get. Lots of acquantances but not many good friends.

--------------------
Janey

#262414 - 05/09/06 06:48 AM
Sara-Sage

No, I didn't mention it at all that I was hurt as not hearing from her for months. I will though. I just didn't want it to be the first thing she read.

It's so true what you told your daughter. Good friends are very hard to find!

#262416 - 05/09/06 06:53 AM
Sara-Sage

That's sad about your friend Amanda. I really hope that she responds to your card. How could she not? You went out of your way to wish her well. I think there's a good chance that she's missed you too and will be delighted to hear from you again. Please let me know what happens.

Losing a friend does hurt. I lost 2 of them for good when the ex and I broke up. That's why I didn't want to lose this one, making it three in all. She hasn't written back to my email yet. She better respond with more than two sentences!!

Update new
      #262608 - 05/10/06 05:24 AM
Sara-Sage

Ok, I have to admit it, I'm annoyed. I sent her a big reply email with pics and everything and I STILL haven't heard back from her. What's up with that?????

Don't fret yet... new
      #262642 - 05/10/06 08:08 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Sometimes I am more likely to reply to a short email than a long one, so she might be just putting off replying for that reason (which reminds me a friend emailed me about two weeks ago and I haven't replied yet ) Let us know what happens.

It is very hard to break up with a friend. I did so last year with the girl who fired me as her Bridesmaid. We didn't have a big fight, I just stopped contacting her. I did invite her to my wedding as (1)all the other girls who were her best friends were invited (2) I didn't want to regret not having asked her when I saw everyone else there on the day (3) I wanted to be a bigger person (4) It just felt right, but I haven't phoned her or met her alone in about a year and have only met her when others have organised it.

I haven't acknowledged her birthday and wasn't invited to her hen night or her birthday party. We did not have an argument- when she fired me I got very upset and didn't fight. Then I got engaged about a week later (P had it planned for months) and then we got a cancellation and set our date for the weekend before hers, she was furious but never said a word to me about it, I only know through mutual friends. The last time she phoned me was on my engagement trip to find out what date I had got. We met at friend's weddings, parties etc and have gotten on really well, but the breakdown in our relationship really is the elephant in the room.

I feel sad that we are not close anymore, but given the reasons she gave me for "firing" me, a harsh criticism of my character and an inherent lack of understanding or compassion for some of my personal issues (the reasons she gave me for firing me were my IBS and my Dad's alcoholism) and some of the comments she made that night I realised that our friendship was obviously not what I thought it was.

Panda- your story is sad too. I suppose sometimes we just move on. It's sort of the reason that I invited the girl I had an issue with to my wedding, we had been friends for 10 years and it felt right that she would be there.

(SORRY THIS GOT SO LONG)

--------------------
S.

Re: Update new
      #262656 - 05/10/06 09:22 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Give her time. It's hard to keep up on correspondence, especially when it's something longer. A five-minute reply is easy to do, but if you think you need to sit down and write a letter, it requires more time and psychic energy, and it's very easy to keep putting it off. And maybe she doesn't have a lot of time, either. Two days is definitely not long enough to become annoyed. At least I hope not, since it usually takes me WAY longer to reply to most people.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 330 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2051

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review