All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can IBS change 'who you are'? Has it changed you in any way? (Positive & negative)
      #262076 - 05/07/06 09:49 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Something has just got me thinking about this, and I can think of both negative and positive changes having IBS has made to both my personality and my life.

I'm just about to crash for a nap, as was still awake at 5am last night, so I'll post up my own later, but really curious as to others' thoughts and experiences.

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yep yep yep.... new
      #262086 - 05/07/06 11:44 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

its weird cos u dont actually think about it having changed you but it DEFINATELY has me...I know Im only young(21) and Im still growing up and everything and Ive had ibs since I was 15 and I know some changes were probably related to the whole growing up thing too...but even still....I know its made me much stronger as a person and its made me appreciate days when I feel great so much more. It has opened me up to a WHOLE world of new foods...all of which I had a bit of a 'urgh Id never eat that' attitude to before and now I feel like I am much more in touch with my earthy mother nature side(or hippy side...which was always there) I LOVE eating natural stuff instead of pumping myself with crap....it has also made me more appreciative in general...we take our health way too much for granted....I think Ive also developed more of a sense of humour through having ibs...YOU HAVE TO LAUGH or ud just crack up!!

The BEST BEST thing about having ibs is THIS WEBSITE and all the amazing people I speak to on here...I NEVER would have thought about joining an online community before and I admit I thought the whole online thing was a bit weird...but now I am SO grateful for the internet...you people teach me things everyday! I have also been so lucky to make friends with people on here and meet some...sinead and nelly...who are both fab....and its so nice to have people to talk to over advice over so many different issues that usually i wouldnt...cos I value all of ur advice....god theres so many good things about havin ibs....hehe...ok I am jokin...here comes the downside...

I can get grouchy and down when I am in pain....I did go through a phase of not wanting to go out etc and felt my personality was being surpressed and I wasnt my usual chirpy self...but that has gone now...jst a shame it ruined a lot of my teenage years. Other bad things include...issues with the boyfriends etc...dont even get me started on that one...am still dealing with that issue...it has affected me wanting to have relationships etc and the way Ive dealt with some situations....I think I am getting better on that one though.....I also had problems with friends in school over my tummy troubles....mainly cos i didnt feel like I could confide in them and they thought I just didnt wana come out with them all the time when it was cos I was always ill etc....have found those friends werent really true friends though after meeting my best friends in thw world since uni......hmm...am trying to think of more bt Im sure others will say things which remind me ........

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Yep yep yep.... new
      #262087 - 05/07/06 11:58 AM
discodiva

Reged: 05/07/06

Yes I agree i definitely appreciate days when im feeling well and i can really make the most of things- when i don't feel well i have to be tough to get through the day so that's another positive! I do still get phases of not wanting to go out for fear of getting ill but once i'm out i'm usually glad i didn't miss out- but sometimes like today the tummy ache's so bad i think i ought to have stayed at home!Having IBS has made me look after myself better - and eat more healthily- but as a student it can get me down quite a lot when other people are drinking at a party or whatever and I unfortunately have to avoid alcohol!

Agree... for the better new
      #262092 - 05/07/06 12:23 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I started dealing with IBS in college, and that was tough... since I've graduated, I've now been able to explore the good side of IBS. I've definitely gotten to know my body a whole lot better and treat it much more nicely than I did in college. While I do have my days where I need to stay home (unfortunately), I take advantage of the time when I'm feeling well and active. I started yoga to try to help the IBS and I think thats changed my mindset on life a lot. I'm much calmer and don't get as stressed about things as I used to.

And I totally agree about being will to try new things. I just discovered a health food store near my house, and its AMAZING. I'm eating "cheese" and crackers right now (its a fat free soy cheddar) and its delicious... If you had given me fake cheese even 2 years ago, I would have refused. My kitchen has gotten a lot more use too since now I'm making a lot of foods Its always fun telling people I cook most of my own food because they are so impressed.

I would trade a regular stomach/digestive system for the one I have any day, but I wouldn't trade what its taught me!

-Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4422 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 597

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review