All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Did anyone get depressed/moody when they went ON BC pills?
      #261625 - 05/04/06 03:12 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Sorry if this seems like a strange question but I'm wondering if anyone here had any problems with major mood changes when they went on BC pills?

My doctors and I have made an interesting discovery (potentially) in that they are wondering if my BC pills are largely the cause of my mental issues (would be nice - certainly an easier fix). Everyone who has known me for a long time always said that all my "problems" started after I got sick with mono when I was 17...so doctors always assumed it just wreaked havoc on my system and caused me to worry to much about my health which caused anxiety, which caused all the problems I'm having now. Thing is (this had never occured to me before) I went on BC like 4 days before I was diagnosed with mono.

So now the doctors are wondering if maybe it's the BC pills. My hormones are screwed up (I think I mentioned this in a previous post)...my estrogen, testosterone, LH and FSH are all so far below normal limits the lab didn't even measure them exactly, and my cortisol (the stress hormone) is through the roof. My gyn says that when the body is underproducing all the "sex" hormones sometimes it overproduces cortisol because you're body intuitively knows that you can live without the sex hormones but not without cortisol.

So I just wanted some thoughts or experiences. I'm seeing an endocrinologist July 4th (wish it was sooner) so hopefully they can shed some light on things...but it's looking like I may have to go off the BC pills and see what happens. And now that I think about it, I'm sure I had friends in high school who couldn't take the pill because it made them depressed/anxious or whatever.

Sorry this got so long...thanks for reading if you made it this far

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I have never been BCPs, but... new
      #261629 - 05/04/06 04:00 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I was moody and depressed, among other things with DepoProvera and with the patch.

I think it was worse with the DepoProvera. My mood felt "flat" a lot of the time. I never felt really happy when I was on it. I was either depressed or just "Yeah, okay. I'm here. Whatever."

I've heard that BCP, etc. really really mess with some women, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the issue for you.

Thanks...the patch is like the pill so that's helpful -nt new
      #261636 - 05/04/06 04:22 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Re: Did anyone get depressed/moody when they went ON BC pills? new
      #261638 - 05/04/06 04:28 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hey Kelly - I have definitely noticed a change in my mood since getting back on BC last month. Sometimes, I feel depressed and don't really have a motivation for anything.

I also feel much more clingy with my boyfriend, and get upset over some really stupid things. For example, he was playing video games the other day while I was over and even though I had a ton of homework to do, I was upset that he was playing video games instead of spending time with me. This is not something that I normally get upset about, so it was really weird for me.

I've been debating on whether to get the depo shots (I have needle phobia!), but not sure after reading they cause mood swings too.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#261670 - 05/04/06 07:07 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

The insert tht comes with your monthly packet of pills should list all the possible side effect of using birth control pills. Mood swings and depression are definitely listed or cautioned. It also says it can increase your anxiety.

Edited by Gracie (05/04/06 07:07 PM)

Re: I have never been BCPs, but... new
      #261671 - 05/04/06 07:11 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Just about any kind of birth control - the pills, shot, patch, ring, all have side affects. Some people may respond better to one method than the other though but the risk is still there.

#261729 - 05/05/06 05:56 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

UGH...I can be a raging bee-yotch on the pill. I've tried three different kinds and I reacted the same in all, so I quit taking them.

--------------------
~jules

My SIL, who has a little bit of anxiety, swears the pill exacerbated it --nt-- new
      #261734 - 05/05/06 06:17 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#261808 - 05/05/06 09:00 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Hey, Kelly! I'm glad your doctors seem to be getting somewhere.

I haven't really had any mood problems from birth control pills or the patch. But, when I was on the Depo Provera shot, it was awful. I was depressed and bitchy, plus I gained a bunch of weight and broke out like crazy.

I just started on Aviane (generic for Alesse), which I will be taking continuously, and though I haven't really noticed any mood changes (I've been depressed/moody for quite awhile anyway, so I'm not sure if I'd notice), I've started having major skin breakouts. So I am a bit apprehensive that Aviane will mess me up like Depo Provera did.

sometimes it seems like you're screwed no matter what you do!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

YES!!!! new
      #261813 - 05/05/06 09:19 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It took some tinkering, but they finally found one that I'm ok with - Alesse. No mood funkiness at all. Ortho-Evra (the patch) made me incredibly depressed and suicidal. OrthoCyclen was the worst - it made me angry, violent and psychotic. Like, I used to drug myself to sleep with Nyquil or Benadryl all day, some days, so that I wouldn't have to deal with wanting to murder people. LOL Nice, huh?

You might not have to go off BC entirely if you don't want to, but you will definitely have to go through a lot of experimenting if you want to stay on it. One pill definitely does not fit all, but it's mostly trial and error to figure out which one works for you.

Anyway, it's apparently a pretty common problem - when I went to my new doctor complaining about the depression, the FIRST thing she said was, "let's change your BC". It's definitely worth a shot.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3602 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3809

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review