All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
for those of you that went off BC..
      #261607 - 05/04/06 02:19 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hey Guys.. I posted awhile back about maybe going of BC and I know a lot of you thought I should probably stay on it. Well I decided to.. until....... I went in today to pick up my next round of pills for the next few months and the grand total came to over 100 bucks!! oh lord. Something I cannot afford right now considering I dont' really need the pill at this moment.

I was on Mircette and usually got 6 packs for 12 bucks bc my school sold it... however, they stopped giving clinical packs of mircette to universities. I called my doc to see what I could do and she said that she would put me on another kind (but that would take an adjustment period as well). I then asked her about going off it altogether for now, and she said she disagrees firmly with the other lady I talked to that said taking a break was bad. She said if i'm only skipping a month its not worth it, but any longer and it might be a good idea. So I think i'm going to do that. If anything i'd prefer to stay on the mircette and not do anything, but I cannot afford it at all right now. I mean I guess its not that much money for a few packs, but if I don't need it I might as well go off it. She's still going to call in the prescription of the new kind incase I need it in the next few months.. but until then I think i'll take a break from it.

Anyways.. for those of you that have gone off.. what should I expect? will my period be all wacky for awhile? I'm just a little nervous bc I've been on it for six whole years! I am interested in seeing if going off it improves my IBS at all though.. so there is one plus.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: for those of you that went off BC.. new
      #261613 - 05/04/06 02:30 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

My body had to readjust when I went off BC but the changes weren't as dramatic as adjusting to being on them. After about 3 months I was completely back to a normal cycle. And my period actually seems to have lightened up since I went of BC. Which is wierd because the BC made it lighter than it used to be. Good luck.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

You'll be fine! new
      #261614 - 05/04/06 02:49 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I stopped twice in college/grad school---once for financial reasons, and once because I didn't "need" it anymore. (I rarely saw my then boyfriend/now husband, and we used alternative methods). Then I went on again when we were engaged and off about 6 months after we married. I never had a problem. The very last time, it took about 3 months to become "normal" again, but normal for me is a little abnormal anyway. I didn't notice any increase in cramps or PMS either.
From everything I've heard (from doctor friends) and read, it seems like if you really don't need it---you shouldn't take it. Stuff like that, while it does have it's total benefits, also has risks, just like anything. Why risk it if you don't need to?

--------------------

Ok and one more thing.....maybe tmi new
      #261615 - 05/04/06 02:50 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

when I went off BC the last time, my husband and I used condoms from then on out. and we had a pretty healthy sex life, if you know what I mean. In 2.5 years, I never got pregnant. Then, we stopped using them, increased the sex a bit, and voila, pregnant in 2 months! Which tells me to stick with the brand I use because apparently they work very well!

--------------------

#261641 - 05/04/06 04:33 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hey Ashley,

I went off my BC last June (recent started back up last month) and it took me a couple months of adjustment. My period was WAY wacky and my mood was crazy. The big surprising thing is that my cramps dissapeared for 8-9 months after I got OFF the BC. It was really weird.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Oh and one more thing... new
      #261642 - 05/04/06 04:34 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I did not lose weight once I got off of it, like so many of my other friends have. I was quite peeved! I think I actually gained pounds afterwards too.

--------------------
- Jennifer

oh no! new
      #261659 - 05/04/06 06:42 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I hope that I don't go all whacky.. especially bc i'll probably go back on it within the next year at some point.

Also.. I don't have the best luck ever.. so i'm quite confident that if anything I'll gain weight from going off the pill.

--------------------

#261731 - 05/05/06 06:01 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

When I stopped using DepoProvera after being on it about a year and a half, it just 2 or 3 months for my period to come back. (It takes longer for some women.) I also stopped being depressed, but I think that was just as much because I made a very positive change in my life at that time.

I did notice my periods are a little different, too. It's heavy for the usual couple of days, almost gone for one or two days, and then very light until the end. It also doesn't last for 9 days anymore, but I think that's more due to age.

So, I guess it wasn't really that wacky after I went off BC. I only used the patch for a couple of weeks, so I can't speak to that.

I've been off for about 2.5 months new
      #261733 - 05/05/06 06:15 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

as you already know, but I figured I'd post anyway in case others are looking here for info. I was incredibly irregular and had very bad cramps prior to going on the pill, which is why I went on it in the first place at 17. I was on it almost continually through college except for a break for a few months my junior year. At that point the cramps were horrible once again, so I went back on. Now I finally went off again about 4 years since the break, and so far so good.

I went off it because I started having breakthrough bleeding, which the doctor said can come from being on the pill continuously for so long. She said your uterine lining just gets so thin that it can't hold itself together. She said it didn't affect the effectiveness of the pill, but since I'm on it to regulate my period and not to prevent pregnancy, irregular bleeding really was a huge pain in the butt for me. I figured I could be irregular all on my own, no need for artificial hormones. Plus I've officially sworn off premarital sex so really I saw no benefit in staying on it.

I don't think that going off it caused me to lose weight, but I do know that this is the first time I've successfully been able to get about 9 pounds off (I won't say how because it totally clashes with the EFI diet). So, I think while the pill probably didn't make me gain weight, it might have been making it hard for me to lose. Since I've been off, my cycles have been okay. I did have a period exactly 4 weeks after the last pill-regulated period, so that was good. The next one was 5 weeks later. I didn't have horrible cramps with either. I mean I didn't feel as good as I had on the pill, but not as bad as I used to feel in high school and college. Now it's been 2 weeks since my last period, and I definitely just ovulated in the past couple days. (TMI but I can always tell -- I get horrible hiccups for 2 days and increased uh...goopiness?). So, hopefully my next one will come in 2 weeks, and I'll be regular again.

PMS has been a bit of an issue. Thankfully the new bf is understanding but last month I definitely had one of those out of body experiences where you can actually see yourself being a B--ch but can't make it stop. Hopefully that will get better!

Anyway I hope that helped. I think you should go off it, but that's just me. I don't love the idea of artificial hormones anyway.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Amanda new
      #261773 - 05/05/06 07:52 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I know when I started the pill and probably to this day, it has made my appetite out of control. So maybe there is something that the pill does to increase our appetites and make us gain weight. Hmmm...

I am surprised that you BF doesn't mind that you don't want premarital sex. If he's cool with that then he's def a keeper.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3282 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2766

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review