All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Medical update
      #261477 - 05/04/06 08:02 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, after a bit of a fuss, I had my first Enbrel injection today. They did a skin test for TB on Monday and my arm swelled up and turned red and hurts. I called their office yesterday and told them and they just blew me off and said to come in today to talk to the nurse. So, of course I Google "positive TB skin test" and see a picture of my arm so start to freak out thinking how the hell did I get TB????? I was so worried all afternoon yesterday and last night, my tummy is in a huge tizzy, had to make THREE stops for the potty on my way to the dr's office this morning! Then, when I get there, the nurse looks at it and says "oh, thats definitely a positive!" So, she goes and gets a different nurse to come and talk to me and then they realize that they gave me two injections and one was SUPPOSE to swell up and turn red!!!! So, after stressing and worrying and having a nurse tell me I had TB, luckily, I don't!

Ok, so we pull out the drugs and this other nurse starts mixing stuff up and I'm like, hey, aren't you supposed to show me how to do that??? Shes like, well didn't you watch the video and read the book? I'm like WHAT video and book, apparently the one they failed to give me on Monday! Then she jabs in it my leg and says ok, you can go. If I hadn't gone through giving myself all those fertility injections, I'd be lost.

But, I've got the book and the video and its not that much different than the fertility injections so I should be all ok! I'll be doing them every Monday and Thursday. Please keep your fingers crossed that this stuff works!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Medical update new
      #261480 - 05/04/06 08:10 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Michele,

Sorry you were worried for nothing. I just don't understand people in the medical field sometimes. Glad it all worked out though and you were able to start your new meds. Good thing you have experience giving yourself a shot.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts that this stuff will work for you.

--------------------
Janey

#261482 - 05/04/06 08:12 AM
michele

Thanks Janey! Did you ever hear back from the dr yet??? I still can't believe they are making you wait this long!

I'll be sure to keep you posted on how the drug works! Luckily, the needle for the injection is small but the solution burns when going in but I'll do whatever I need to, to make the pain stop!

--------------------

some medical folks.... new
      #261487 - 05/04/06 08:28 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

This is not to say that all medical personnel are this way. My mother has been a nurse all my life and where she has a nurturing spirit, she has been a nurse so long she has become more clinical...methodical...and less interpersonal.

Sometimes she is more a nurse than she is my mother and that is really sad but it just speaks to the nature of that industry.

This is not to make excuses or imply that all medical personnel can become less than nurturing...just sharing a personal experience.

On a wonderful note...I am thrilled that you don't have TB!

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#261489 - 05/04/06 08:30 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

No I haven't heard anything yet. Everytime the phone rings I run to answer it hoping but nothing yet. My GP told me it could be 1 to 2 weeks before I hear from the Rheumy doc for an appointment.

I talked with my sister down in Va. and she says it is the same way down there. Not enough doctors for the number of patients.

Hopefully I will hear from them in the next few days. If not I'll be calling again.

Do keep my posted on how you are feeling and how the new drug is working.

--------------------
Janey

Crossing my fingers for you! new
      #261490 - 05/04/06 08:31 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I am impressed that you can give yourself injections. I pride myself on being able to handle pretty much any medical procedure (many hospital visits when younger due to asthma, allergic reactions, and adult visit because of collapsed lung) but I'm not sure I could do it myself, and I don't think I'd trust my husband. I REALLY hope this drug works for you.

--------------------

#261491 - 05/04/06 08:34 AM
michele

I'd say if you don't hear from them by Monday, call'em again! The sqeaky wheel gets the oil! I know it took me about 5-6 weeks to get my initial appt with the rheumy doc. Its so frustrating that we have to be sick to begin with and then have to deal with fighting to get the medical care we need.

--------------------

Re: some medical folks.... new
      #261493 - 05/04/06 08:37 AM
michele

Thanks Rachel. I know if someone called my office, crying and upset, that I would at least take two minutes to see if there was anything I could do for them. All they had to do was actually LOOK at my file and say that one of them was SUPPOSED to react. Aw well, its done and over and I don't have TB. I'm very hopefully about this medication!

--------------------

Re: Crossing my fingers for you! new
      #261494 - 05/04/06 08:40 AM
michele

Thanks Ginger. The shots aren't too bad. Its more the anxious feeling you get just before than the actual pain of the injection. When I was trying to get pregnant, I just kept telling myself a baby was worth it. Now, I think of the injection as "killing" the pain, if a couple of shots a week will stop the pain, bring it on! Lets just hope I'm in the 80% group of people that the drug works for!

--------------------

Just saw this.... new
      #261537 - 05/04/06 10:51 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Wow! Sounds like that medical staff needs to slow down a bit! I'm glad you could catch on so easily! I am praying this works for you! My co-worker with RA just had to up her meds yesterday.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#261580 - 05/04/06 01:26 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm glad you don't have TB, but it is stressful to have to wait and wonder what's going!?

Does Enbrel work faster than Plaquenil for the pain? Are you going to continue taking Plaquenil?

I hope you start getting some relief from your RA. Hugs!

#261596 - 05/04/06 01:46 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

That's terrible! I'm so sorry you had to be so worried about TB! I'm glad it turned out to be negative (even if they did screw up). Good luck with your new drugs...I hope they work for you

Ick.. glad it eventually went well! Thanks for the update! :) -nt- new
      #261598 - 05/04/06 01:48 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Maria new
      #261604 - 05/04/06 01:58 PM
michele

Yes, Enbrel is supposed to work faster than placquenil. Some people notice improvement in 2 weeks. The placquenil takes at least 3 months. I will continue on the placquenil as well, even though I'm not sure its helping.

They each work differently. The placquenil is a DMARD (disease modifying antirheumatic) and the Enbrel is a TNF (tumor necrosis factor). People with auto immune disease have too much of this TNF in their system and Enbrel is supposed to block the production of it and reduce the pain, swelling and other symptoms.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 666 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1732

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review