All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Somewhat helpful article on working from home
      #261227 - 05/03/06 04:38 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

This was on the welcome page of aol today. I know several of you have talked about how hard it is to deal with IBS at work, and I thought this might be of interest:

web page

Working From Home Great for Working Moms
Many Stay-at-Home Moms Find Career Opportunities Growing

April 17, 2006 — The dream of working from home is one that many of us share. No commute. No fancy business attire. No makeup. No pricey lunches. The flexibility sounds heavenly to some.

And employers have gotten hip to this: Telecommuting, a benefit that allows employees to work from home one day a week or more, has grown in popularity. In 1999, only 18 of Fortune's list of best companies to work for offered telecommuting. Today, 79 do. (Incidentally, all 100 of "Working Mother" magazine's best companies offer some form of telecommuting as well.)

As the business world recognizes that some workers, especially women, would welcome the chance to work from home full time — which isn't usually possible with traditional employment — a new crop of companies has emerged, focusing on home-based customer service agents. Fortunately, these are legitimate avenues of employment, as opposed to envelope-stuffing scams that promise big bucks for minimal effort.

Alpine Access, LiveOps and Working Solutions are three leaders in employing or contracting such agents. They provide telephone support services to catalog retailers, financial service institutions, airlines and even the IRS. When you call an 800 number to place an order at J.Crew or 1-800 Flowers, there's a good chance the voice that answers is sitting in the comfort of home.

Currently, there are more than 100,000 home-based phone representatives across the United States. By 2010, the research group IDC predicts that number could reach more than 300,000 as more companies recognize the financial savings of using home-based agents instead of operating costly call centers to handle customer service inquiries.

Agents set their own hours, averaging about 20 to 25 hours a week — whatever works for them. Compensation ranges from $8 to $20 an hour. To qualify, a prospective agent must have high-speed Internet access, a land line to handle calls and a quiet work space. Barking dogs, ringing doorbells and crying babies in the background are forbidden. Training is provided but paid versus unpaid training varies by company.

Stay-at-home moms who earn money in this capacity are thrilled with the career opportunity. There aren't too many other legitimate ways to earn steady money and maintain the flexibility they require. Mom is home when the kids get on and off the school bus. She can add hours to her schedule during the holidays to help cover increased expenses. Or opt to be on during irregular hours — late nights, midday or any combination.

Additionally, such employment works well for people beyond stay-at-home moms. Becoming a home-based agent appeals to retirees, disabled or physically challenged workers, college students, or those who care for elderly or ill family members.

To connect directly with Tory Johnson or for other information on career advancement, visit www.womenforhire.com

Copyright 2006 ABCNEWS.com

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Somewhat helpful article on working from home new
      #261236 - 05/03/06 05:48 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Thanks for posting this. I'm a new mom who just went back to work full time. I was IBS free on my maternity leave (7.5 blissful months) and now my IBS is back, 2x worse.

I'll definitely be checking into this.........

--------------------
~jules

Some government jobs allow this as well.... new
      #261240 - 05/03/06 06:17 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

at least U.S. Federal....I work for the EPA and work at home 3x each pay period (2 weeks). It's great! After my maternity leave, I am going to come back part time--one day at home and 2 days at the office each week. It has made my life so much better.

--------------------

I work from home... new
      #261246 - 05/03/06 06:39 AM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

what a blessing that is. When I am unstable I am a "C" so my worst issue is being in pain so going to the office is not heinous for me. I do believe that the lack of stress re: commute, politics, gossip and such has helped me greatly.

It is also a blessing when the kids are sick or holidays. My boss is awesome and I can work around my kids schedule. It is definitely something for all moms to shoot for if at all possible.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: I work from home... new
      #261256 - 05/03/06 07:14 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I *know* that my IBS coming back the same time I started work are related. I have a one hour commute each way, and each time I drop my son off at daycare, my heart breaks a bit. Plus, driving stresses me out because people are inconsiderate idiots on the road.

When I was home, I could try and go #2 at my leisure, I hate having a community b-room at work. I hate sitting my my desk when I'm all uncomfortable and bloated.

Nomorepooch, what work do you do from home?

--------------------
~jules

#261279 - 05/03/06 09:21 AM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

i would also like to know how to get a work at home job

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

#261310 - 05/03/06 12:01 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Ditto! I registered with a firm that conducts mystery shopping trips a couple of months ago, as you can do them by phone (pay is about £7 a call), and passed all the entrance tests, but they're inundated with applicants and I haven't got any work out of it yet.

I thought about setting up a Virtual Assistant company, as I used to work as an assistant before I went into Marketing/Product Management, but I don't really know how I'd get started. I also am studying 2 courses at the moment via home study, and will do the same for the next year (Nov to Nov), after which I'll finally get my BA in Business Studies.

So, in the meantime I need something I can do from home, that isn't MAJORLY stressful and that won't interfere with my study (which I'm already not great at as I never have any energy!)... Not much to ask for then!!

Any ideas anyone?

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Jules new
      #261331 - 05/03/06 01:23 PM
nomorepooch

I represent a for profit company, foundation and non-profit company and do a lot of administrative work. Something to the effect of Office Manager/Public Relations. I have meetings occasionally but most of my work is done by phone or computer.

--------------------
Formerly poochibelly...

Chely
      #261334 - 05/03/06 01:26 PM
nomorepooch

Jobs like mine come along once in a lifetime. I am just glad it's my turn!

I started working for my boss as his administrative assistant and my kids were 5 & 6 at the time. I worked in an office building...the whole nine yards. Working from home was a morphing of sorts...I just work for a really great person.

I just sort of fell into this job and my boss is going to have to pass away or fire me (see the humor there), I don't plan to quit!

--------------------
Formerly poochibelly...

What about the men?
      #261375 - 05/03/06 03:26 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

All due respect and I am sure I will take heat for this one, but why doesn't this apply to men also. More and more men are staying home with kids. More and more dads are raising kids are their own and I have NEVER heard of a company letting a working Dad (who was single or divorced) work from home a fews days a week. I an not denigrating all the hard work a women does while raising a child and lets be honest no man can go through what a woman goes through during childbirth but there is a double standard in this area. Just my opinion and I am sticking to it.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2034 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3234

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review