All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Going to try Enbrel
      #260847 - 05/01/06 01:25 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I just returned from the rheumy's office. I still have so much swelling and joint pain that its restricting my motility and daily activities. We decided to go with Enbrel, its injected twice a week, so here we go with the needles again! I'm having a hard time finding a pharmacy that can even get it, I'm stopping at a speciality pharmacy on my way home tonight and hopefully they can have it in a couple of days. The hospital where I was getting my fertility meds says they can't get it right now because its on back order from there supplier! I guess there is some question as to if my insurance will pay for it. They will check for sure when I stop in after work. I figured if it paid for the fertility drugs, it should pay for this drug. If not, I won't be able to take it because its $15,000 a year!!!!!

They did a TB test and some other tests to be sure I don't have any sort of infections. I guess there have been reported cases of people dying from infections while on Enbrel but I have to do something. As long as I can get the drug by Thursday, I have an appt with the nurse at the rheumy's office to "teach" me how to inject but I can't imagine its too different from the fertility meds.

Hopefully, I'll see improvement in a couple of weeks. However, it can take a few months to fully work and it doesn't work at all for about 20% of people. You can not take it while pregnant but it gets out of your system within 2 weeks. So, if this gets the RA under control, I'll stay on it for 3-6 months until when/if we decide to try to get pregnant again. At which time the fertility doc wants me on steroids to protect the baby from my immune system and the steroids will also help with the RA.

So, thats the plan! Lets just hope I can get the drug, that its covered by my insurance and that it actually works!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Going to try Enbrel new
      #260858 - 05/01/06 01:55 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Michele,

I hope that everything works out so that you can take the Enbrel and that it works for you. Hard to believe some of the meds are so expensive. I know it must be frustrating trying to find the right medication that will work.

Good luck!

Hugs,

--------------------
Janey

#260969 - 05/02/06 07:44 AM
michele

Thanks Janey!

I found a pharmacy last night that had it in stock AND my insurance paid all but a $20 copay!! So, I just need to wait for a couple of test results to come in but assuming they are negative, I'll start the enbrel Thursday morning! I hope the shots don't hurt too much as I have to give them to myself twice a week but if it stops the RA pain, I'll poke myself as many times as I need to!

--------------------

I'll be thinking of you Michelle! new
      #260977 - 05/02/06 08:02 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

The only way our cousin could get the drug was through a special clinic here in our state. You had to qualify financilly, but at that price, it wasn't hard. This is a state rehab facility. So far, he has been able to get everything he needed. I hope you can too!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Bamagirl new
      #260985 - 05/02/06 08:14 AM
michele

How long has your cousin been using it? Has it helped and have they complained of any side effects? I'm definitely getting good use out of my expensive insurance right now! I was just complaining how they raised our monthly insurance premium from $660.00 a month to $766.00 a month but after starting this drug, I guess I really should be thankful I have it, at any price.

--------------------

Michele new
      #261018 - 05/02/06 09:30 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I am so happy that you found the Enbrel and that it isn't going to cost too much. I'm sure if you could handle the fertility shots you can handle this twice a week.

I am still waiting to hear from the Rheumy doc. I was told by my GP's office that it could take 1 to 2 weeks for them to call me and then it may be a couple of months before I can get in. I may go crazy in that amount of time wating for a diagnosis. Very frustrating!

I had a mini crying breakdown yesterday and felt better after it was over.

I really hope this new med works for the pain and swelling. From what I hear about RA there is usually quite a bit of tweeking to get the meds just right for each individual.

Hugs,

--------------------
Janey

#261021 - 05/02/06 09:32 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hey Michele - I just saw this drug on a commercial this morning and thought of you! How funny. It did talk about not being able to treat infections and stuff too. Hopefully this drug will work better for you.

Good luck!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#261043 - 05/02/06 10:21 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

The embrel was tried for 8 months with little success, so they just switched to another injected drug of the same caliber. I forget the name. I haven't had an update on that because it is a recent change. Our cousin has SEVERE ankylosing spodilitis. He is also trying some natural remedies too, so we'll see.

As to insurance, I sure hope it covers you on that point! It is awfully high no matter where you are, but considering the cost of meds these days, I'm like you, it is worth the charge! I pray it works for you and you find relief!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Janey new
      #261064 - 05/02/06 11:03 AM
michele

Thats absolutely INSANE that you have to wait that long!!!! Do you have to wait for that particular rheumy to call you or can you start calling around yourself to see if you can get in sooner. Its really important to catch this as early as you can. And, unfortunately, most of the treatments take several months to really start working as well. Thats a LONG time for you to have to wait while your hurting. My options are also limited when it comes to medications as we still may want to have a child in the relative near future as my "clock" is ticking there!

Feel free to email me anytime you want to vent about your symptoms. Have you gotten the hot wax spa yet? If not, you can roll your hands in a heating pad. I sit in my recliner at night, with my hands over my tummy, the heating pad over my hands and it helps both the RA pain in my hands and the IBS pain in my tummy! If you haven't started taking any yet, try taking the maximum dose of an anti-inflammatory. Alieve seems to be the easiest on my tummy. I know when my wrists are bad, I use support wraps I got at Walgreens Drugstore. I've seen them for knees and elbows also.

--------------------

#261066 - 05/02/06 11:06 AM
michele

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. I'm not real sure what ankylosing spodilitis is. I hope the new drug works better for him. I remember seeing that the Enrel was also used for that but didn't look into it too much.

The cost of healthcare is horrible. However, I have wonderful coverage and for all my medical "issues" I really need good coverage. I've tried to find cheaper insurance but with my health history and Will being self employyed, its not going to happen.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2891 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2274

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review