All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Advice anyone?
      #260657 - 04/29/06 05:27 PM
MichelleB

Reged: 07/30/05
Loc: Ottawa, ON

It has been awhile since I last posted....but I am looking for some support. Back in the summer I had a really terrible bout of IBS-D....I was sick for 5 weeks...until I finally got to see a gastroenterologist who prescribed me Buscopan and Amitryptaline. Since Sept. I have been feeling much better. Very cautious of my diet but able to "cheat" once in awhile with no major problems. Since getting pregnant in February, things have been getting worse. I stopped taking the Amitryptaline (which I was taking daily 50mg). Just the other night I had a diarrhea attack that sent me in tears...cramps...like crazy!.....I am only 4 months pregnant...how am I going to deal with this for the next 6 months??? It seems that only meds made things better back in the summer. I called MotherRisk (at Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto ON) and they gave me two studies that were done on Buscopan. Both studies showed no malformations to the baby when used during pregnancy. I haven't seen my OB yet...not until next week....I would greatly appreciate any advice....suggestions...as I am stressing out and I know that is the last thing I need to do.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Advice anyone? new
      #260660 - 04/29/06 05:45 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

First of all congratulations! I am 9 weeks pregnant with my 4th and this is my 2nd pregnancy with IBS. Mine has been horrible too and it's frustating. I have my first prenatal on Thursday and I'm scared because of my problems.

Having said that, my did get better as I started getting into the 2nd trimester. I am hoping for the same. As a matter of fact by 20 weeks I started having more constipations than the D.

What kind of vitamin are you taking? That might effect it. I had trouble last time from mine and when we switched it was better. As a matter of fact it helped greatly. I can't say the same this time though lol. I would also talk to your dr. about it and see if he or she can suggest some medication that you can take. I think immodium is actually safe. I wouldn't be suprise though it in the next couple of weeks you see improvement. I can tell you with my 1st 2 I had morning sickness until I was 15 or 16 weeks. I think it was similar last time with my IBS. It seemed to gradually get better. Here's hoping you will start feeling better soon.

#260683 - 04/29/06 10:44 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Have you tried hypnosis or maybe some sort of prenantal yoga? Both are very helpful for IBS and neither put any potentially dangerous substances into your body.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#260702 - 04/30/06 06:19 AM
MichelleB

Reged: 07/30/05
Loc: Ottawa, ON

Thanks for your input. I am sooo hoping that I feel better into the 2nd trimester. If that is the case...I should start to feel better in a couple of weeks! My doctor did tell me I could take Immodium...however, when the IBS kicks in...I start with a very bad case of diarrhea for a day or two and then it kinds turns into constipation as only little "pellets" come out...(sorry for being so frank!). I cross my fingers for the time being...I have not been taking vitamins....my doctor told me it could be making thing worse....I will probably venture into a different name brand for my second trimester. I do take folic acid daily. I appreciate knowing that I am not alone in this battle. I sure hope someday there is more research/meds out there for expectant mothers as it is surely a crisis to go through.

#260734 - 04/30/06 01:22 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hi, hon. Congrats on your pregnancy. I found that as the baby got bigger, no D. The babe puts pressure on your digestive system and slows down. So, hopefully this will happen for you.
There's a sticky post at the top of the Eating for IBS diet board on pregnancy with some helpful tricks.
Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 865 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 960

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review