All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Okay I need some reviews on a few European cities
      #259929 - 04/24/06 05:22 PM

Unregistered

My 18 year old brother who graduates high school in a month and I (college grad a week May 5th! yay) are planning a little European extravaganza for a couple weeks in June. My time when I was there last was mostly in Italy since that's where I was living and I did go to Paris, but beyond that I haven't seen much else. So if anyone has any advice or stories to offer about places I'm going and things to do or not do I'd LOVE to hear it because we've got to finalize our plans in the next week here.

So we are flying to Dusseldorf, Germany (can you believe a rountrip nonstop flight is only $671?)
Then to Frankfurt for a couple days with a cruise on the Rhine.
2 days in Heidelberg. Our plan was to be there on the 3rd of June because apparently they have a big fireworks thing over the church there each year this time)
Then 2 days in Munich to see the BMW factory and such and a day trip to Neuschwanstein castle.
Then we leave Germany and head to Austria to spend a day and night in Salzburg for the Sound of Music tour (my fav movie of all time).
Then a few days in Italy just because I want to take him to Venice and Florence and the Cinque Terre area that I loved so much.
Then we go to Zurich for a day and night.
Overnight train to Brittany area of France to see Mont St. Michel and stay a night.
Then to Paris for a couple days.
Back to Dusselfdorf to fly home.

I tell it is going to be a real whirlwind of a trip. So if anyone has been to any of those places I would love to hear about it. Or anything along the way I'd be missing if we didn't see it??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Okay I need some reviews on a few European cities new
      #259937 - 04/24/06 07:05 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I lived in the Cinque Terre, so if you need any advice, I'd be happy to help! I loved my time in Italy. It was amazing. Wear comfy shoes!! Lots of walking!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#259939 - 04/24/06 07:13 PM

Unregistered

You lived there?? How amazing. That had to be one of the most amazing places I've ever seen. No picture I show anyone can be as great as being there in person. And yes I noted the importance of the comfy shoes for all that walking. How did you end up living there?

#259952 - 04/24/06 10:01 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi, Brittany:

My grandma lives along the Bergstrasse, which runs kind of between Frankfurt and Heidelberg. Frankfurt itself is not a very interesting city, if you ask me, but the Rhein cruise should be great. Heidelburg has that "old Germany" feel, so that should be fun. Munich has that, too. BTW, if you're interesting in some unpleasant history, you can easily visit the concentration camp Dachau from Munich.

Venice is fun. Everyone else loves Florence, but I was there in August, and it was just really crowded, humid, and kind of unpleasant. I don't know if you've been there before, but definitely look into taking the bus to get outside the city and see real Tuscany!

Have fun!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Christine new
      #259956 - 04/25/06 04:09 AM

Unregistered

Thanks for the help!

Yeah I've heard that about Franofurt. It is easier to find cheaper hotels there and then take a couple day tours from that point. I was considering doing Dachau or Nuremburg.

When I was in Italy a couple years ago it was during June too and you're right, very humid and hot. But I think their weather isn't too far off from ours here in Florida in the summer. I did get the chance to see a lot of Tuscany when I was there. It's too bad we are both so young because it would be so much easier to see more if we could rent a car.

Thanks again!

I have been to new
      #259979 - 04/25/06 07:08 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Heidelburg and Munich. I loved both places but I was there in February. Not the best time to be sight seeing.

The day we walked around Heidelburg it was snowy and cold but what a lovely city. I would go back there in a min. I love Germany! Make sure you go to the castle and there is a wonderful shop on one of the walking streets that sells Nutcrackers and smokers. It is so much fun to walk through there and see everything. Even if you don't want to buy something walk through.

I didn't see as much of Munich because we were at the Olympic village for a swim meet. I have always wanted to go back there.

Have a great time!

--------------------
Janey

Edited by Janey (04/25/06 07:08 AM)

#259982 - 04/25/06 07:13 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Hi Brittany

I've been to Frankfurt and Munich - Frankfurt was dull, just like so many other cities of that ilk, but Munich is fantastic! (Definitely one for flat shoes as, with it's 'Old Germany' charm comes miles and miles of cobblestones!! I went over there twice a month with work for a couple of years and lost plenty-a-heel down the side of those flippin' stones... ) )

The BMW factory is pretty cool, but the town centre is stunning in places - some amazing architecture. Some fantastic bars too, some really traditional ones that go underground, with a really cool local vibe. Sorry I can't remember their names, it's been a couple of years since I was there...

The Staatliches Hofbrauhaus in Munich is a traditional beer garden founded hundreds of years ago that's pretty popular with visitors looking to see some traditional Munich culture, we spent many a pleasant hour there. It can get pretty loud, with a band and people singing, but if you get chatting in there you're experiencing 'real Munich'. Very cool! From what I remember it's only a short work from the Marienplatz, which is the main old city square, where you can see the old town hall and the new town hall. Always a good buzz in the square, and plenty of bars, shops, etc.

There was one place that wasn't publicised at all in all the tourist books that was like a big entertainment complex, think it was called the Kunsttpark Ost. Has loads of clubs, bars and restaurants if that's what you're looking for. We used to catch a taxi to it, but I think the train gets you close. It's kind of a 'locals' place - don't think they like telling tourists about it!

You can do a tour of the palace, but I don't remember being massively impressed by that, although the architecture was superb. (Kind of depends what you're interested in I guess) For hanging out in the sun at the weekend we used to head for the English Garden at the centre of the city - all green and quiet and picteresque.

It's a shame you're not going to Copenhagen, a stunningly beautiful city (certainly one of the most beautiful in Europe), the friendliest people and LOADS to do, including Tivoli Park, some awesome bars and restaurants and stunning scenery seen from the famous boat rides. Spent a lot of time there with work, including my 22nd birthday (which, at the 7th August was a very hot, very sunny, lovely day! ) , and would love to go back.

Barcelona is also very interesting and plenty of fun.

Have a great trip!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Janey new
      #259991 - 04/25/06 07:40 AM

Unregistered

That is great! It is so great to hear how much you loved it. And I can assure you that I will do my best to shop might be tough though... I'll buy a nutcracker in your honor.

Thanks for the advice!

Blondie new
      #259995 - 04/25/06 07:50 AM

Unregistered

Yeah I keep hearing that Frankfurt is dull. We're only planning on really staying there as a base to take a couple tours to other places close by (like that day cruise of the Rhine and stuff).

I am very excited about Munich. I think we are planning on staying in some place in the old town area. That beer garden sounds fun. My younger brother just turned 18 so he's all pumped about drinking over in Europe - haha teenage boys...

What was your job that you went over there so often? Oh and I remember walking around in Florence in heels - those stone streets to get ya every time.

I'm being dense, but where is Copenhagen in relation to Germany? Denmark, right? We were considering going to Amsterdam too. And I wish I had enough time to make it to Spain too. I am dying to see Barcelona. I've taken so many art/architecture/interior design history classes that it's all I can do to not try and see everything. I need a good year over there.

Thanks for all the great tips! I will have to write some of those places down and check them out!

Re: Blondie new
      #260007 - 04/25/06 08:34 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Yup, Copenhagen is Denmark, quick plane ride from Germany if you found any extra time - well worth it.

I used to work in Marketing before IBS struck. At that time I worked for a company which was part of the Newell Rubbermaid group (you might know some of their brands - include Rubbermaid, Parker pens, Sharpie pens, Little Tykes, Graco, Pyrex, etc). I was a Product and Channel Manager at that point, looking after several product categories, and also the English Wholesale Retail sector, which was the biggest part of my company's turnover. The company is close to my heart - I worked there from being 17 to 22.

God, it feels so crazy now - go back a couple of years and I was responsible for about $20million sales in my Wholesale Retail channel, and about another $30million spread across my product categories, I was lucky and blessed enough to travel to Munich, Copenhagen and Chicago/Milwaukee regularly (business class ), and visited loads of other awesome places, earning (and unfortunately spending) what should be a fortune to someone my age... and now I'm an IBS recluse, who's only left the house 4 times in 3 months!!! I took it all very much for granted, so I suppose IBS has at least taught me to stop, stand still and count my blessings, and to have OODLES of empathy for everyone not as lucky as I am.

Oops, appear to have rambled off-topic... Anyway, your trip sounds amazing, and I'm so jealous - though ironically I'd be doing it the other way round if I was well enough, and travelling round the US and my beloved Canada

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1754 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4222

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review