All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Anyone know someone with MS?
      #258904 - 04/19/06 09:07 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

If so, is it manageable?

A very good friend of mine (I've know her for 30 years)is being tested for MS. She is going in tomorrow for the results of her MRI and they did tell her that they found something. She is a nurse and knows all about MS and is scared to death. She does have some of the symptoms.

For those who are religious, maybe you can think good thoughts that she'll be ok. She's only 30, just started her nursing career is getting married next month and just had a house built. She doesn't need a MS diagnosis.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Poor baby! new
      #258910 - 04/19/06 09:27 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I was scared that I was getting MS. They've ruled out Lupus, Parkinson's, and Lyme Disease, but I've still to get an MRI to specifically look for brain plaque n stuff. I'm sending good thoughts out for your friend. Please let her know she has people thinking of her.

~nelly~

Re: Anyone know someone with MS? new
      #258912 - 04/19/06 09:30 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Hey Tina - my mom has MS. She has a mild case of it, and is able to manage it very well. She gives herself injections once a week of a drug called Avonex which keeps it from progressing. Avonex Website She also has a muscle relaxer that she takes at night to help her legs relax so she can sleep. Other than that - she's great! I know MS can be a horrible thing - but my mom is lucky to have only a mild case right now. She was diagnosed about 3 or 4 years ago and besides a couple bumps along the way, she has been doing great!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

my grandma had MS new
      #258916 - 04/19/06 09:33 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I am also so scared about getting MS.. it is one of my worst fears.

My grandma who has since passed at the age of 65 had MS, and died from complications of it. She was diagnosed at the age of 30 and had it for more than half of her life. Luckily times have changed and the treatment is improving, so your friend has more options than my grandmother did if she is diagnosed with it. My grandma was able to walk for about ten years, then needed a walker, and for the last twenty she was in a wheelchair more often than not. She could walk with a walker but it took her a lot more time to get anywhere, so she generally rode in the wheelchair because it caused less pain. MS can also cause other symptoms and my grandmother was unlucky and got most of them, such as bladder problems, problems with eyesight (she had to wear very strong glasses most of the time, MS induced diabetes etc.

I hope that your friend does not have this diagnosis, or that if she does, she can manage it better than my grandmother could. I know what i'm sharing is very depressing, but that is the realistic picture of my grandmother's life with MS.

Keep us updated with what happens.

--------------------

#258918 - 04/19/06 09:37 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Michelle, that's VERY encouraging.

Re: Poor baby! new
      #258920 - 04/19/06 09:38 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Nelly. She is so upset and needs all the good thoughts she can get!

How have you been lately with being a full-time working girl?

Re: my grandma had MS new
      #258923 - 04/19/06 09:41 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Ashley. One of my friend's mom's actually has MS and it's destroyed her life. She can't walk on her own anymore and is basically debilitated because of it. But her mom is close to 70 so I am guessing she must have a severe case of it.

I just hate that so many happy and vibrant people get shot down with diseases and illnesses.

I hope you never get it.

Re: my grandma had MS new
      #258925 - 04/19/06 09:45 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

thanks I hope so too.

my grandpa has done a lot of research on it, and supposedly it is not a highly genetic disorder, however, there also isn't a lot of information about what actually causes it (so i'm crossing my fingers that that is true.. its supposedly prominent in people that are scandanavian and seems to be triggered by people moving from a cold environment to a warm or more moderate environment.. something to do with the equator).

It is so sad though how many people have awful diseases and disorders that are so debilitating. youd' think with all the new innovative things in this world there would be a lot more cures!

--------------------

Hi Tina! new
      #258926 - 04/19/06 09:48 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm slackin' at the job right now. It's kind of funny being an outsider (contractor) looking in. Everybody's running around with their tie on fire because some huge client's here. I totally don't even care.

BF and I have contracted some weird thing, and I think this new job's totally to blame.

We've both felt like puking for the last 3 days. When I eat it goes away for a while. So weird. I think I've contracted some new job virus from the subset of new foreign germs I've been subjected to, starting at a new office. Boooooo!

~nelly~

#258927 - 04/19/06 09:51 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I'll keep you and your friend in my thoughts!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2855 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4038

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review