All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone got any good congestion remedies? Got flu & can't take decongestants w/ my other meds
      #258085 - 04/13/06 03:56 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

So I can't take decongestants, and I've tried steaming but can't breath through my nose at all so it didn't really do anything.

Any ideas anyone?

From a fed up snot monkey...

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone got any good congestion remedies? Got flu & can't take decongestants w/ my other meds new
      #258087 - 04/13/06 04:00 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

The best I know is towel over the head over boiling water with olbas oil or pine oil in it. It's really strong so you can feel the vapours "burning" the congested feeling away.

Also Karvol capsules on your pillow (usually sold as an infant remedy)are very good too.

--------------------
S.

Re: Anyone got any good congestion remedies? Got flu & can't take decongestants w/ my other meds new
      #258093 - 04/13/06 04:12 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Chicken noodle soup! Chicken broth actually has a natural 'decongestant' in it. Makes the mucus thinner so you can get rid of it. Try making a pot of it, and put your face in the steam while it's cooking, the heat from it helps un-stuff the nose too. And a long hot steamy shower helps as well.

Hope you get better soon,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#258104 - 04/13/06 04:43 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Thanks both, great ideas. Boyfriend will be despatched tomorrow morning for everything you've reccommended!

However, I originally thought I couldn't take decongestants as my pharmacist told me I couldn't take Sudafed at the same time as my Amitriptlene. However, I've just been reading up on Sudafed and it's active ingredient, and they say not to not take them, but that taking them with amitripylene might raise blood pressure. As I have low blood pressure, does this mean I should be ok to take them?

Or am I clutching at straws in my foggy-brained state?!!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

#258111 - 04/13/06 05:47 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Indian food is you can tolerate it. I LOVE it and always have a mild curry when I am sick.

#258123 - 04/13/06 08:06 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

One thing I have found works really well is called Aerius...it's an antihistamine that is being considered the "next generation" of Claritin. I'm not 100% sure if it's available in the US (I'm in Canada) but you could ask a pharmacist.

The nice thing about it is that it officially isn't a decongestant (I can't take decongestants either) but it has decongestant-like properties...does a bang-up job of clearing things up!

Hope that helps

if the issue is sudafed specifically... I have 2 suggestions! new
      #258145 - 04/14/06 05:10 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

1- take afrin (but for no more then 3 days in a week!) its actually more effective then sudafed!

2) call your doc and get a perscription for k-tan (I think thats it) it has no sudafed in it...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Advice from a doctor new
      #258161 - 04/14/06 07:09 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

to my parents who also can't take decongestants because of meds and health conditions: 1/4 c warm water mix in 1/2 tsp baking soda and suck it into the nostrils 2-4 times a day. They swear it works better than meds. I haven't tried it personally, but they keep the "recipee" taped up in the kitchen.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Advice from a doctor new
      #258162 - 04/14/06 07:28 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

What about those big tablets you put in the shower with you and they realse vapors to make you breath better?! I've seen them advertised on TV and saw them at Target but I haven't tried them!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

take one that goes up your nose. new
      #258225 - 04/14/06 03:57 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Or try saline sprays. Apparetnyl that works. not for me, as I am an Otrivin addict, ten years strong. Khyri is NOT kidding when she says you can't take it more than 3 days! You get hooked!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2500 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1091

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review