All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Grrrr.... "IBS not a real illness" on radio - let him try it for a week!!
      #257611 - 04/11/06 02:22 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Just on my local radio station. There's a story on the national news today about drug companies 'manufacturing illnesses to fit the medications they have developed'. Local radio just used IBS as an example, and I quote:

"There are many illnesses that simply would not exist if the medications to 'treat' them hadn't been developed"

"IBS is a perfect example - everyone in the medical profession knows it doesn't exist. However, because pharmaceutical companies discover drugs that can help treat the so-called symptoms the message spreads that it is acceptible to be pitied and treated for conditions that otherwise wouldn't be recognised..." -

After questioning from radio reporter "Oh yes, IBS symptoms exist - people get diarrhoea, constipation or tummy ache every now and then - but IBS as an illness simply doesn't. There isn't a single diagnostic test that can diagnose IBS - this is because it is not an illness, but purely a state of mind", and

"Those believing they are suffering from IBS would be best advised to seek psychiatric help, rather than finding false-solace in the mistaken belief that they suffer from an actual illness. Go back 20 years and barely heard about this 'problem' - we only hear about it more now because the drug companies choose for it to be so by publicising their propaganda".

There was more, but I got so mad my ears started ringing and I don't want to falsely quote. I'm so furious right now I can't even comment.

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Grrrr.... "IBS not a real illness" on radio - let him try it for a week!! new
      #257617 - 04/11/06 02:44 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Oh yeah, I've heard that one, too. Luckily, not from any friends, but it just makes my blood boil.

It's not real. Riiiiight.

Re: Grrrr.... "IBS not a real illness" on radio - let him try it for a week!! new
      #257622 - 04/11/06 02:56 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

"IBS symptoms exist - people get diarrhoea, constipation or tummy ache every now and then "

Yeah 'every now and then', like 6-10 times a day? Of course that's normal right? Can't be IBS, since that doesn't 'exist'

I never thought an educated person would ever say something like that when there is so much medical information about IBS. That really ticks me off!
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#257628 - 04/11/06 03:29 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

"everyone in the medical profession knows it doesn't exist"

Never judge a person until you've walked a mile in his/her shoes. I'd love for these doctors who think it's all in your head to have to deal with IBS for a year or so and then see what they think.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

Re: Link to article for anyone interested... new
      #257630 - 04/11/06 03:31 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4898488.stm

I agree that we should be aware of marketing tactics, but the little box that is titled "Disease Mongering" lists IBS as "promoted as a serious illness needing therapy, when usually a mild problem."

It's so frustrating! I noticed most of the medical problems mentioned are those usually suffered by women. I guess we're all just hysterical and dysfunctional babies.

Edited by Maria! Maria! (04/11/06 03:35 PM)

#257634 - 04/11/06 03:34 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

That is beyond infuriating. I'm speechless!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#257639 - 04/11/06 03:50 PM
Blondie13

Tell me about it! Unfortunatley I missed the start of the program, so I don't know this muppets name or exact profession, but it was clear he was a doctor.

I daren't start to comment on it as I'm not sure if I could stop!!

--------------------

Re: Link to article for anyone interested... new
      #257641 - 04/11/06 03:53 PM
Blondie13

I'm so angry it's untrue! No wonder we IBS sufferers run up against brick wall after brick wall, both in the medical professsion as well as the general public. We keep trying to educate people that its not 'all in the head', and that it can be a truly horrible illness, and some idiots go about saying this kind of thing!!

What, exactly, are we supposed to do?!

You make a great point on the female front - I suppose next they'll be saying childbirth isn't that bad, women just exagerrate...

--------------------

#257647 - 04/11/06 04:11 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

GGGGGuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrr..........

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

OMG that is so infuriating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #257662 - 04/11/06 05:53 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

other than Lexapro for my depression and anxiety, I don't use drugs to live with my IBS. Just diet and exercise, and yet I still have it. GRRRRR!!!!!!! There are many of us that need the drugs and many that are able to get by W/O it. This was obviously someone who has never had to live with it and doesn't know anyone with it. What an A..

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2960 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1346

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review