Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need opinions on a dress for my Dad's wedding
      #257274 - 04/09/06 05:36 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Ok, my Dad is getting remarried in two weeks and I'm standing up with him (it's a bit unconventional) and I really need some opinions on the dress if you don't mind. I don't have any local girlfriends and I need some female opinions. Anyways...I've already got the dress and I'm happy with it...but if I get cold I'll need a sweater and that's where I'm running into trouble.

I'm going to link some pics and I would love opinions...sorry for the fact that my face isn't in most of them...oops!

I think the turquoise sweater is best because it adds some color, but it doesn't seem to fit right. If you look at the "side" shot you can see it's really gaping in the back.

Dress without sweater: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Vicam7/blackdress3.jpg

Dress with Turquoise Sweater: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Vicam7/dadsweddingcopy.jpg

Side View of Turquoise Sweater: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Vicam7/dadswedding3copy.jpg

Grey Sweater: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Vicam7/dadswedding1copy.jpg

Side View of Grey Sweater: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Vicam7/dadswedding2copy.jpg

Sorry if some of the pictures are bigger than others, I'm really bad with digital photos.

And thanks in advance for any opinions

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need opinions on a dress for my Dad's wedding new
      #257276 - 04/09/06 05:51 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would definetly go for the turquoise even if the fit isn't exact. Is there any way you can take it in a little? I can't see if there are any seams on it, but you could try sewing it a bit tighter in the back.

Love that color though, wow.. and the black dress is really nice!
Have fun at the wedding
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#257282 - 04/09/06 06:31 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

EASY! Turquoise sweater because it adds colour. Do you have a more colourful dress though since it's a wedding?

I would wear shoes and not boots with that dress. They're nice but I don't think they match as well as dainty shoes would.

Tell us what you decide!

#257283 - 04/09/06 06:43 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Turquise sweater, definitely!

I agree with Tina on the shoes, too.

Love the dress!

I agree with Tina and Snorkie about everything too!! -nt- new
      #257287 - 04/09/06 07:19 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

--------------------

#257306 - 04/10/06 12:51 AM
Vicam

Thanks Tina Actually no, that is the only dress I have. I'm the unofficial best man so I was told black would be fine and actually kind of work. I agree though that I like the turquoise more, I just wish it fit better. I've contacted the girl I borrowed it from to see if she'd let me wash it and put it in the dryer (it's not supposed to go in the dryer) and hopefully I can shrink it a bit or at least give it some of it's shape back.

As for the boots, I know that pretty strappy sandals would look nicer, but I can't wear them. I'm going to sound crazy here but I have a major problem with my calves...I have severe swelling in my ankles and abnormally large calves and I'm just way too self conscious about it. I have to stand up with my Dad and give a speech at the reception so I can't be freaking out about that. I've actually had strangers stop me on the street to ask if I'm ok or to "alert" me that something is wrong because they look so swollen So that's why I'm going with the boots.

#257307 - 04/10/06 12:52 AM
Vicam

Glad you like the dress I'm thinking about the turquoise too...I wish those sweaters were more in season now so that I could potentially look for one that actually fit me properly...oh well.

See my response to Tina's post regarding the shoes...not an option for me unfortunately.

#257308 - 04/10/06 12:53 AM
Vicam

Thanks! No, I don't think it can be taken in...doesn't look like it anyways. It's pretty cheap and simple and doesn't appear to have any seams. Plus, it's not mine so I can't really alter it

Glad that you like the dress though!

#257309 - 04/10/06 01:17 AM
Bananna

Reged: 03/19/05

Hi Vicam,

I totally agree that the colourful turqoise sweater looks great, and actually I don't think it looks bad that it's not fitted! But if you're worried about it, is there any way you can pull it in by simply tightening the bow at the front?? I'm sure you've already tried that, but just thought I'd mention it!

#257310 - 04/10/06 01:31 AM
Vicam

Yep I tried that...makes it look better in the front but does nothing for the back Thanks for mentioning it though!

the tourquoise definitely! new
      #257319 - 04/10/06 05:57 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

looks great and baggy in the back isn't a totally bad thing if it can't be taken in in time..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: no dryer! new
      #257326 - 04/10/06 06:44 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06

Depends I guess on the material it's made of, but chance are if you put it in the dryer it will only get stretched out of shape. It will not shrink the way you want it to, to fit closer to the body. I've spent my lifetime trying to shrink clothes and it never works that way..

I think it would be fine to be loose in the back. Looks ok in the pics you posted. One last thing you could try is to pin it gathered in the back with a nice brooch?

Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: no dryer! new
      #257332 - 04/10/06 07:17 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, definitely the turquoise!! Have you looked to see if you can find a sweater clip for the back of thwe sweater? They are a piece of elastic with two clips on either side and you can gather the back of dresses or sweaters with them!! That would take up the slack if you want it more fitted but I don't think it looks bad like it is!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#257336 - 04/10/06 07:39 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Well, you know what you're doing! Black for a reason and boots for another reason! Ignore my comments!!!

You'll look beautiful -- enjoy!!!

#257356 - 04/10/06 09:33 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03

I think you look just lovely in the dress as it is. If you want a light wrap for after/outside/reception, I would look in the Laura Stores - the Laura Outlet at Wellington and Exeter is a great place - great prices and they should be getting in the tail end of the season's stuff. Also the Bay - I saw them there this winter, any other formal clothing place. Look for a little black sheer wrap, or a sheer bolero jacket, or a sheer blouse to go over top - with a straight hem.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5705 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 989

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review