All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ughhhhh.....he keeps eating his poop!
      #257167 - 04/08/06 06:04 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

If I hear ONE more time that dogs are not supposed to Pee or Poop in their crate I"m gonna scream! I keep saying well this one does!!! Dakota, two times, now has not woken us up to tell us that he has to go out in the middle of the night and proceeds to just poop right in his crate and then EAT it! I know it's gross and I know puppies do this but for the last three weeks he's cried, whined, whatever and we let him out, he does his business outside, comes back in and goes back to sleep. I can't understand why he's now done this twice in his crate. I've been online and checked out this behavior and some breeders say sometimes the crates are too big and they feel that if they were confined in a smaller crate he wouldn't do it but who the heck has the money to keep buying crates to accomodate this? He would more than likely chew a piece of wood if we divided the crate with it or a box so that won't work either.

Oh and we've even caved and he's now in bed with us so that he'll sleep longer! My hubby says he knows now why parent's bring kids in bed with them! Thank goodness we never had to do it with either of our kids. I think a dog is easier to get out of the bed when we've had enough!

Any advice would be helpful. Oh and he also pees in it for the morning stretch of his time in there. I leave at 7:40 am and come home at 12 to let him out. Almost every day he's peed in the cage. The second stretch from like 12:45 to 3 it's dry!!!! What's up with that? I know the time frame is different but he can go all night without peeing?!?!?!

Ughh sorry to vent. I'm just sleep deprived and so is hubby!
I love Dakota to death though. He's such a love! I know this is just something we have to wait out but I'm at my wits end!

Oh and here he is! He's growing so fast!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/LittleLisa37/2nd3rdweekDakota011.jpg

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ughhhhh.....he keeps eating his poop! new
      #257173 - 04/08/06 08:19 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Lisa,

Sorry you are going through all of this. It is frustrating. First I would talk to your vet. Sometimes when a dog is peeing like that the vet will check for a bladder infection. I had a dog that ate her poop and the vet told me that puppies will do that when they need nutirients. My vet gave me pills for my dog to take that would make her poop smell and taste different so she wouldn't eat it.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Janey

Ew, poor thing! new
      #257196 - 04/09/06 07:55 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You poor thing! If you need to make his crate smaller, usually people just slide a divider in there to cut the size in half. I've never crated a dog before, though I've heard that's what owners do when they want to make potty training "easier" and "quicker." I don't know how easy it is for you at the moment, though!!

Wishing you lots of strength!!!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

~nelly~

It's called Coprophagia ..... new
      #257222 - 04/09/06 09:57 AM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

Nice fancy name, isn't it??? Some feel it may be a deficiency in vitamins or minerals. My brother's puppy was doing it too. They changed food and that seemed to help.
As far as the crate goes, what about rigging up some sort of a metal divider, you know like they use in the back of cars? I bet maybe a pet store would have something like that. Possibly?
Hang in there, just keep remembering how adorable he is. It will be worth it in the end...:)

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Re: Janey, I've heard of those pills new
      #257235 - 04/09/06 11:58 AM
LittleLisa

We are going to the vet on Tuesday for a puppy check up and I'm going to ask her about them. Thanks for the tip though!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: It's called Coprophagia ..... new
      #257238 - 04/09/06 12:02 PM
LittleLisa

I knew it had a techinical name to it I always thought it was for "dogs" though not puppies. How can puppies be missing nutrients already?!?!? I did run to walmart today and bought another type of puppy food by purina. The breeder gave him this when she still had him. Maybe he'll stop pooping so much too when I change it! Sheesh this morning he was up at 2am and pooped, then 5am to pee and then 5:15am to poop. He's a pooping machine and it' seems only at not convenient hrs! He will poop again after dinner then not again till the wee early moring hrs!
I suppose as he gets older he'll hold it? Who knows but I can't wait for that day!!

Thanks for the tips!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: I know! Gross ain't it! new
      #257239 - 04/09/06 12:06 PM
LittleLisa

Nelly, my hubby mentioned about the divider thing when I was posting last night. I'm sure they do have some kind of metal one that we can buy. I think I also need to get some kind of spray to spray down on the floor of the crate to rid the smell of the previous pee or poop! I guess the wipies that I use just aren't cutting it! Oh and then I read not to use household stuff on it to clean it because of something in it AFTER I have been doing it with Mr. Clean antibacterial spray for a couple weeks now!

Thanks for the strength wishes! I know we'll get through it soon. Until then, I'm SLEEP DEPRIVED!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Vinegar water mixture.... new
      #257275 - 04/09/06 05:43 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

that's what I found to neutralize the urine smell. It worked with our little guy.

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Re: Wellness Food new
      #257338 - 04/10/06 07:54 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

The pet store has a spray you can spray to remove the trace odors. When I was taking Harley to puppy classes, the spent a whole hour talking about foods. The majority of foods you buy at the regular pet store really aren't that good, even the more expensive brands like Purina. They are mostly grain based and have a lot of fillers in them, making them produce more poop!! One of the brands they recommended is called Wellness. This is actually the same food that the breeder was feeding Harley. I know Harley is a little dog but he poops like clock work, once when we first get up around 7:30 am and then again about 7:30 pm!! I find that if I've given him more treats than usual, his poop will be bigger!!

I also found this to be true with my cats. We used to feed them Cat Chow but my Persian started having really dry skin problems, where he would itch and scratch himself until he bleed. We switched him to a Neutro brand and not only do they eat WAY less, I also have to change the cat box WAY less!!

The food may be more expensive but it averages out in the end with time saved by cleaning up less poop and its much healthier for them! The Wellness brand isn't carried by the chains, I get it at a premium dog kennel but it can be ordered on line as well. Here is some info on it! http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/wedogandcatf.html

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re:thanks Alyson! I'll try that! -nt- new
      #257672 - 04/11/06 06:43 PM
LittleLisa

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1677 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1307

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review