Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Yep, that's their problem! new
      #257230 - 04/09/06 11:13 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

As far as my kids go,

"Those who matter, don't mind... and those who mind, DON'T MATTER!!!"

Hugs to you and MIL and dh and I hope the whole thing blows over, so scary and upsetting, I can only imagine!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: WARNING to parents...-please reply, I need encouragement badly. new
      #257232 - 04/09/06 11:38 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Shannon,

After reading so many of your posts, I feel like I've "gotten to know you" and I wanted to give you some encouragement. I'm sure you are a great mommy. The 100% issue is an interesting one. I am alone with my two year old 12 or 13 hours each day and as I'm sure you know it can be tricky to take care of one's own needs. It is something that no one ever talks about. How do you take a shower, get ready for an appointment, have an attack, etc...... Taking care of young children is hard and can be emotionally very draining. As mothers we do our best to keep kids as safe as possible while we take care of an occasional personal need. It is difficult and all mothers (who don't have nannies) can sympathize. All those who don't have kids and think they could handle it all with ease are in for a shock if/when they do have kids.

Take care Shannon.

Laura

Re:Oh Shannon.. new
      #257233 - 04/09/06 11:56 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I hope you didn't think I was questioning your parenting I believe you are a wonderful mother and would never jeapordize your child's safety! I was just simply asking why your MIL left her and what the reason was since you simply didn't state it in your original post. I think I and maybe some other's needed to better understand the situation and now we certainly do. You just never know what's gonna happen ya know. Heck even though my kids are older and I now leave them in the car for a few minutes, they too could get snatched up! There is no age limit to "crazy" people out there. And I totally agree with you that when you are "single parenting" because hubby is working or whatever, life is tougher and sometimes we do some things to make our lives a bit easier. Maybe it's not the right thing but it's what works at the time. I've done the bring the groceries in while baby is sleeping thing numerous times. Or I've even left them in there so that they could nap longer on nice days. Nothing wrong with that at all!!

As far as your mother goes, I don't have quite that relationship that you have but with your mom but I can tell you that my very favorite Aunt who is not too much older than me watched both of my children while I worked. One till he was 5 and the other until he was 3 and my mother was VERY jealous of her I think. But my mom worked part time and chose to continue to do that and never offered to take care of my children so that's the way it was. I can also say that my mom is not your typical grandmom either. Never does she offer to take the kids overnight. I always have to ask and I don't ask often. It has to be under her terms. She likes to babysit only on Friday nights because it messes up her Sunday morning schedule with church and all. What kills me most is that when we were little, she and my dad would drop my sister and I off FOR THE WEEKEND at MY grandmother's house. THE WEEKEND! My grandmom was much older than my mom is now too. My mom is actually a younger grandmom. Anyway, my point is, I understand where you are coming from with the mom and issues thing.

Big HUGS to ya Shannon. You and your family will get through this. It's certainly just one more curve balls that life throws us out of many that will happen in our time of parenting!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

:) I'm not mad at you. new
      #257252 - 04/09/06 01:42 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I post on a teaching board and I got ripped to shreds by about 9 people over this, so I was sensitive yesterday.

My mom actually bragged to my sister that she's a better grandparent after that. She only babysits on her terms, and only after I beg. I try to avoid asking her now. She never offers to take kayleigh, only sees her once every couple months even though she's 1/2 hour away, etc. She is a good grandma but seriously? Better than MIL? Not a chance in hell. And she's nowhere as good a mother as MIL is to me. I'm so thankful for her.

I had gotten to a point where I had no more anger at my mother. now, I'm p'd off all over agian. I don't want to see her next weekend. It might get ugly.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Michelle..... new
      #257253 - 04/09/06 01:44 PM
_Willow

Thank you sweetie. I am stealing a hug.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

thank you, laura!. new
      #257256 - 04/09/06 01:46 PM
_Willow

Wow, did that ever make me feel better.

I also think parents who get the luxury of their DH around every night, or get to share bedtime duties, etc...have NO CLUE how tough it can be parenting alone. not that I'm a single mom, I'm happily married, and I hope some day DH and I can BOTH work days!! But this is our reality and we do with it as BEST we can!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

You know.... new
      #257290 - 04/09/06 07:30 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't have any good advice or anything, but holy crap, society is SO freaking out of control! Everyone is so quick to think the worst of EVERY situation, without even stopping to think that they themselves were probably left in a car for 10 minutes or so here and there as kids... and obviously SURVIVED, you know?

It's utterly ridiculous. I'm sorry that you and your family are going through this.

Exactly Casey. But still new
      #257300 - 04/09/06 09:59 PM
_Willow

I ahve received sooooo much flak for this in my family and on other boards. It wasn't even ME but it could have been. Society is so paranoid! There are a million circumstances that could have led to danger, and she had not one of those happen.

But we're alive and well and so on. I am traumatized and now afraid of police for the first time in my life, but I'm sure some day I'll get over this. It sure blew my weekend.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I could not agree more! new
      #257304 - 04/09/06 10:11 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

People need to seriously get a grip! I don't think anyone should have to apologize for leaving a kid sleeping in the car while bringing in the groceries. Also, the only reason I would not want to leave my kid (if I had one) in the car for a couple of minutes is because of the way society perceives it. I personally do not think it is a big deal at all! I'm so sorry you're going through this, Shannon.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: HUGS!!!!! new
      #257316 - 04/10/06 05:24 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Child Social Services should try baking the pillsbury dough boy, and then try stuffing him back in his tube. Then tell them that's what it's like trying to get a kid in a snowsuit back into a carseat. Sometimes, it's a pain getting them in an out all the time!!!!!! As long as they were in plain view!??@?# What harm is that?
I've been tempted many a time to leave my kids in the van for less than a minute, or whatever. Thanks for the warning!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3809 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8278

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review