All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS- Pain-Sodium level extremely low
      #256637 - 04/06/06 01:24 AM
debdot

Reged: 04/05/06
Loc: Palm Desert, CA.

Hi-I'm new to this board, and happy to find you. For a year now, I have been going through all kinds of tests. The GI Doc. finally mumbles something about IBS. I have restricted my diet, then in the emergency room I find out I have a severe low sodium level. The pain I have from the IBS is almost unbearable. What do you guys do? And what about your sodium levels?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS- Pain-Sodium level extremely low new
      #256646 - 04/06/06 06:04 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Welcome!
You may get more replies if you post in the Eating for IBS Diet Board.

I suggest you read this website and become familiar with the diet, and things you can do for pain. Peppermint tea is the most effective I find.

As for sodium, have you tried chicken broth? Try getting some from a health food store with no MSG.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#256651 - 04/06/06 06:36 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Interesting. One of my doctors stressed the importance of healthy sodium leveles to me once. It had nothing to do with ibs though, just about being healthy. He told me that the body did need some sodium but to never overdo it.

#256732 - 04/06/06 10:57 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Oh dear--that's actually really dangerous. I have chronic low sodium/chloride levels. I'm under doctor's orders to consume LOTS of salt and POTASSIUM.

My ultimate restorative--organic soup/broth. Seriously. Keep cans/cartons of organic soup in your cupboard because when my chloride levels are really low, about all I can manage is to open a can or tetra of something safe and just drink it straight up until I feel normal. It makes me normal really fast.

Pickles and other salty crap make me feel ill.

So, soup is my ultimate quick fix and NOT HOMEMADE.

Make a habit of deliberately using the salt shaker, especially on veggies and other SF staples, etc.

Can you use things like soy sauce? That's really high sodium stuff! However, nothing is saltier than salt, I maintain--so make a point of using it. I use iodized sea salts, predominantly. I love carrots, beets, spinach, zucchini, spaghetti squash, mushrooms with all kinds of salt and the potassium balances out the chloride so I don't get bloated. Sodium and potassium work concurrently.

If you eat grains, i.e. rice, use salt.

In a pinch, though, organic soup/broth is a lifesaver, so it's always in my cupboard.

Kate.

#256736 - 04/06/06 11:21 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

I was recently told by my doc. that I have low sodium/chloride levels & my doc said to drink more. I don't understand that, as I drink 100 oz./day. She said maybe I'm drinking too much, & to try to cut back then. Maybe we're flushing our systems too well? How much do you drink?
Try peppermint tea for pain!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Re: Just wanted to add.. new
      #256738 - 04/06/06 11:27 AM
K2

There are drinks out there specifically for this, they're marked as "replenishing electrolytes". They contain sodium and potassium. Gatorade is the most common, and some people on here said it's easily tolerated. Pedialyte is one that I know of used for children when they're sick.

It is possible to have low sodium levels from drinking too much water, combined with D, a low sodium diet, and/or meds that affect it.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: Hey K2... new
      #256743 - 04/06/06 11:46 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Do you know if low sodium would cause muscle pain? I've had alot lately, wonder if they're linked? I need to picj up some gatorade.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Re: Hey K2... new
      #256745 - 04/06/06 12:04 PM
K2

It could be causing muscle pain. Especially if you're active and relying on water to 'rehydrate' after a workout. Try the gatorade, it's more tasty than water and counts towards your daily water intake.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2003 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2194

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review