All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Saw the RE this am!
      #256153 - 04/04/06 09:53 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

She was very nice. She listened and looked over all my files I had brought. Basically, she agrees that its my immune system killing my babies. She said the being on the immune-suppressant drugs for the RA and getting the RA under control should help. Once I'm feeling better, she suggests that I taper off the placquenil but stay on the drug he added yesterday, the alzulfidine (sp?). I will also have to taper off several other drugs, like the Ambien and Previcid.

She ordered a cycle day three FSH level (to check ovarian reserve)and another thyroid test. I'll have these done next month, just had my period last week! Since my mom and grandma both have thyroid issues and pregnancy puts a strain on thyroid, she will also check it every month when I'm pregnant! Then, when I'm ready, she will put me on prednisone daily and heparin injections through out the pregnancy. Reproductive Immunology is very new but the leader is a Dr. Behrs and she agrees with his theories. The prednisone will help protect the baby from my immune system and the heparin injections are a type of blood thinner to be sure that I'm not passing any clots and that my body isn't interfering with the blood flow between me and baby. The lab report from my twins showed that the placenta was under developed which leads her to think that there may be some sort of clotting issue even though all the current tests they have can't detect anything. These treatments are relatively experimental for the use of repeated miscarriages but it seems to be the right course of action from everything I've read and other women I have talked to.

So, the plan is to give the RA medications a few months to work and when I'm feeling better, I'll start to reduce the medications I'm on. Then, I'll go see her again and start the prednisone and heparin injections. She doesn't feel that the fertility drugs will make any difference, which is great because I had pretty much already decided I wasn't going that route again. So, now I just need to feel better so we can move forward. I'm hoping to taper off some of the medications this summer and start trying this fall.

Also, my tummy seems to be doing a bit better today! SO, overall, I'm feeling a little better about the future! I'm still having some issues breathing but the new medications he gave me seem to be helping that also! Thanks for everyones continued support!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Saw the RE this am! new
      #256157 - 04/04/06 10:00 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Michele,

This all sounds like positive news and I am happy for you. You seem to be in a much better place emotionally and that is a positive. Sounds like you are very lucky to have found your new dr. and that she has some great ideas and ways to help you have a baby without all the fertility drugs and stress. It also seems that you are on the right road to getting your RA under control and to be able to live pain free.

--------------------
Janey

More good news! new
      #256169 - 04/04/06 10:21 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

This is great, Michelle! It sounds like the right doctor for you all around! I hope you continue to improve on the meds you received yesterday and that you will soon be feeling much, much better! Thanks for keeping us updated .... I love to get good news!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: More good news! new
      #256170 - 04/04/06 10:24 AM
michele

Thanks Bamagirl! I feel much better about things, she was really nice and I liked her approach to things!

--------------------

#256171 - 04/04/06 10:25 AM
michele

Thanks Janey! This approach will be much less stressful then all the fertility drugs however I've heard the heparin injections hurt but at least they won't make me hormonal like the hormone treatments did!

--------------------

Wow, great! new
      #256200 - 04/04/06 12:05 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

What your RE says makes a lot of sense. And who knows, maybe through your trials, other women will benefit from your results. I'm sure you're not the only woman with this problem, maybe other women have just given up. I think it's great that you're taking your doctors advice and going forward.

--------------------

Re: Wow, great! new
      #256202 - 04/04/06 12:14 PM
michele

Thanks Epa Ginger! I know I'm not the only one as I also frequent a repeated miscarriage support board. I think its all about finding the right dr for your specific problem. This is all new stuff and still considered experimental but isn't that how all medical treatments start off?!!

--------------------

#256208 - 04/04/06 12:30 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

sounds like good news michele! congrats! I hope this works for you!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Dr. Spice! nt new
      #256210 - 04/04/06 12:36 PM
michele

--------------------

Some answers new
      #256229 - 04/04/06 01:48 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I hope this doctor can help you and Will, Michele.

And, I'm glad you're feeling better!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#256237 - 04/04/06 01:56 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

The information you received from your RE sounds very encouraging! It was interesting to read that an underdeveloped placenta may be due to some sort of clotting issue. Aren't autoimmune disorders and clotting disorders sometimes related or overlapping?

I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope you continue to feel and get better. It's so good to hear that you're getting answers and help from your doctors.

#256271 - 04/04/06 02:24 PM
michele

Maira, its unknown if clotting and auto-immune disorders are related but I'd have to think they are. The area of reproductive immunology is very knew so they don't have too many answers yet!

--------------------

Re: Some answers new
      #256272 - 04/04/06 02:26 PM
michele

Thanks Augie!

I'm sorry you are still struggling so much. I've been reading your posts in the diet section but I don't have any answers. I don't know much about osteoporosis but hope you find a solution soon!

--------------------

#256273 - 04/04/06 02:27 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Michele,

That's great that this RE had some answers for you, it sounds promising

Jenn

#256277 - 04/04/06 02:30 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I've said this a billion times, but your strength and courage never ceases to amaze me. Were you wonder woman in a different life????? Sending lots of good thoughts and hugs your way. Know that I'm thinking of you lots, and hoping for good things in your future!
XOXO, A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#256278 - 04/04/06 02:33 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi Michele,

I'm glad that it sounds like you're on the right track and should be getting some answers soon That's really great news. I hope the drugs get the RA feeling better really soon so that you can try again.

Wow... I learning a lot new
      #256331 - 04/04/06 05:50 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

since I had no idea about reproductive immunology. I am glad that you a great doctor who is out there researching options for you and putting effort into making you healthy. I wish you the best with getting everything under control. RA is a miserable condition to deal with...I have had it in my back for the last 20 years (I am only 30) but the medications that are coming out are doing much more to help making getting up everyday. Now if they could only make them not have such a nasty after taste. I wish you the best! *hugs*

Michelle

#256338 - 04/04/06 06:14 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Wow! At least you got some positive answers. I read alot about these kinds of things when I was waiting for answers. I looked at alot of what Dr. Beehr had written. It's pretty amazing all the things that are out there. You know I am always thinking of you and hope that when you try again that you will have success! Love and hugs!!

#256468 - 04/05/06 10:51 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Sounds like you're making progress! I hope the meds help SOON so you can get the RA under control and start TTC again. It would be great if you didn't have to do the fertility drugs -- they sounded pretty miserable when you posted before about them.

It seems like life is always a little easier when you've got a plan, even if the stuff that happens along the way isn't so great.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#256471 - 04/05/06 10:55 AM
michele

Yesm Jen, your absolutely right, life is easier when I've got a plan! The new drugs, especially the prescription nsaid medication I just started really seems to be helping the RA! I've felt bad for so long, I still need a little time before jumping into fertility again but maybe late summer/early fall! I definitely don't want to go through the fertility treatments again, it may take a little longer to get pregnant but those meds were just brutal!

--------------------

#256472 - 04/05/06 10:57 AM
michele

Thanks Angela! It really is amazing at all the different things that have to be just right to have a baby, its a wonder the world is so over populated! LOL!!

I think I remember you saying that you would have to do the heparin injections also?

--------------------

Re: Wow... I learning a lot new
      #256473 - 04/05/06 10:59 AM
michele

Thanks Michelle! Yes, RA is nasty. The two new drugs the rheumy doc gave me do seem to be helping more than just the placquenil so hopefully I can get it under control before too long! My meds don't really have an "aftertaste" but they do give me awful cotton mouth and make my eyes even more dry the usual!

--------------------

#256475 - 04/05/06 11:00 AM
michele

Thanks Kelly! I feel good about the new plan! Hopefully we can get the Ra under control and can procede!

--------------------

#256477 - 04/05/06 11:02 AM
michele

Thanks Alicia! I'm thinking my wonder women belt may need a recharge here before too long?!! I have good days and bad, I guess just like everyone else. I do feel better knowing the options and having a plan, it gives me focus I guess!

--------------------

#256478 - 04/05/06 11:03 AM
michele

Thanks Jenn! Its a very new field but lets hope they are on to something!!

--------------------

Hmmm.... new
      #256618 - 04/05/06 07:42 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

I will have to go with the nasty aftertaste than have the cotton mouth and dry eyes. I know that once they found the right combination for my RA that it took about a month til I felt like a new woman! Now I really only feel it when there is severe weather changes (this past week with the storms), which is much better than every day. I will keep you in my thoughts!

Michelle

Well, I must say new
      #256621 - 04/05/06 07:49 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

that sounds excellent! Finally you're coming upon some answers, sweetie! I still very vividly see mommyhood in your future.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

how did I miss this.. thats wonderful news! new
      #256639 - 04/06/06 04:37 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I hope it all works out for you..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: how did I miss this.. thats wonderful news! new
      #256665 - 04/06/06 07:08 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Michele,
I'm only seeing this now too, it's great that you are going to be getting proper treatment and that you have new hope. I'm delighted for you. Best of luck,

--------------------
S.

Re: Thanks Amie! nt new
      #256682 - 04/06/06 08:05 AM
michele

--------------------

Re: how did I miss this.. thats wonderful news! new
      #256683 - 04/06/06 08:06 AM
michele

Thanks Cailin! I'm feeling better about things, lets hope this new stuff will work!!

--------------------

Re: Well, I must say new
      #256684 - 04/06/06 08:06 AM
michele

Thanks Shannon, I sure hope you are right!!

--------------------

Re: Hmmm.... new
      #256685 - 04/06/06 08:09 AM
michele

Thanks Michelle! The dry mouth is really awful but I try to drink lots of water and suck on a lot of mints! I go through a lot of eye drops as well! I'm not sure if those are from the medications or the RA itself??

--------------------

#256927 - 04/07/06 10:59 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hey, Michele:

I've been away for a week or two, but I'm happy to hear you had such a good appointment with the RE. It's great, also, that you're planning but also allowing some time for your body to adjust.

Keep us posted! Hugs!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5279 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2434

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review