All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Panic attacks and IBS attacks
      #253459 - 03/21/06 11:04 AM
CindyG.

Reged: 01/26/05
Loc: Mississippi

My IBS attacks are most of the time triggered by my panic attacks about having IBS attacks. DOes anyone else have this same vicious cycle? I sometimes wonder if I will ever be able to just go out again without my IBS entering into my mind. Its soo frustrating. I was agoraphobic for almost two years.. But right now I have gotten up the courage to finally finish my degree and student teach. I dont know what I will do after that. I just want to live a normal life!! And be able to go places without having attacks. Is this too much to ask??
Sorry I just had to vent for a second. I am on my lunch break and its been a long day...

I keep thinking humor in this all must be the key. I am taking things to seriously and worrying what everyone will think about me if I have an attack. Its just a hard habit to break. Anyone have suggestions on how to calm yourself down or talk to yourself in the middle of an attack?

I have the worst cramps also from IBS.. anyone have any suggestions on prescription medications that have worked for them? I cant drink peppermint tea or caps because of acid reflux.

Anything anyone would like to comment or add please feel free to. I would love to hear from you.
Cindy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Panic attacks and IBS attacks new
      #253518 - 03/21/06 01:39 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

before i realized i was lactose intollorant, i thought i was having panic attacks...because your body goes into a fight or flight mode....because of something i'd eaten..(which i didn't know yet) so the doc put me on paxil, but it didn't seem to help, but she also told me i may be lactose intollerant...took me 3 years to realize i was having ibs problems..

do you watch hat you eat too? i know i get anxiety too when i feel it coming on...or the anxiety triggers it...i totally can relate!!

i took immodium like crazy for a while...i try not to too often now...trying to stablize, but when i need it, i take it. if i feel anxiety i tend to take it too, i think it's more a placibo affect, but it does seem to help me. for my cramping i take dycilamine (spelling?) it's a generic kind, but your doc should know what it is....
hope that helps

I was there a year ago.... new
      #253575 - 03/21/06 05:46 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

I'm not sure if you are D or C, but I am D mostly and have greatly benefitted from Lexapro for my panic/anxiety attacks. My anxiety was terrible, which I believe made my D much worse, eventually becoming that viscious cycle of not wanting to leave the house, and if I had to leave only to go somewhere where I knew there was a bathroom readily available. You all know the drill.... Anyway, I felt some relief within the first week. With that and the diet I have been feeling much better and rarely think about the need to have a bathroom everywhere I go. I didn't even realize it had happened, it was gradual. I'm not saying I never feel bad, but the D is very rare, though I do still have the morning urgeny and need to make sure I've "gone" before I leave in the AM, but that's way better than the way it was before......

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#253620 - 03/21/06 09:22 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Have you tried the hypnotherapy for IBS? It's suppose to help out with anxiety.

#353333 - 12/18/09 07:48 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Perhaps this is an appropriate time to 'bump' this post up. It seems so many are actually suffering in similar ways.

I have a neighbor who is in her early 50's, has IBS, won't drive any more, and rarely leaves the house unless her husband takes her to a medical appt. She admits to being constantly anxiety ridden, and has a panic attack every time she goes into a store (so she states).

Therefore, her husband does all of the grocery shopping on his way home from work, and she prepares the meals, though frets about whether or not her efforts in the kitchen will produce a gourmet meal that pleases hubby. He is diabetic and shouldn't even be eating the things he brings home, and she shouldn't be eating them either because of her IBS.

Far be it from me to say a word, as I KNOW such would be met with resistance and excuses as my neighbor thinks this is 'eating well' and 'healthy balanced' meals. Some people are just stuck and not open to learning anything new. I honestly feel sorry for her, yet I really can't help her.

IBS can really rule our lives, if we allow it. As with all things in life, education is the key. We also need a sense of willingness to stretch ourselves to try new things, and welcome new ideas. In doing so, we can find ourselves pleasantly surprised!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#353431 - 12/23/09 08:38 PM
goldiloks72

Reged: 07/28/09

I can so relate because I would get violently ill. I have tried meds which have not worked. I started acupuncture 4 moths ago and I am convinced it is working. I did get sick about two weeks after the second treatment but The next day( in which I would have normally felt run over) I felt great! About two weeks after my third treatment my family went under a very stressful situation in which an intruder tried several times to get into our house and the cops did not come after 3 calls to 911. My husband tried to hold the man at gunpoint but the intruder lunged for my husband so he shot the intruder in the chest. You can only imagine the stress that we felt the days that followed. I was sure I would have an episode of getting sick after all the stress because that is usually when it happens. I felt great GI wise. No pain cramping vomiting NOTHING. You have to be patient with acupuncture but I believe it is helping my IBS as well as the panic that comes along with it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3840 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3675

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review