All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Recent Protocol for IBS (D)
      #250433 - 03/07/06 09:04 AM
Carolyn RS

Reged: 02/08/06

[color:green] [/color] [i]I have had IBS for several years and it has advanced to progressively worse. I have been under a Dr's care for soooo long. One treatrment was to go on the Xifaxen drug for ten days. It is a newer protocol of which 92% of people are cured. Not me! I am in the 8% that wasn't cured. The nexst step for me is the diet where you can not have any food for 2 weeks (to starve the bacteria) and you only drink Vivonex Plus (Nutrients) several times a day. I can't bring myself to go on to the program! My Dr. swears that it is excellent. He got it from a Dr. Mark Pimental of Cedars Sinaii in Los Angeles. It is suppose to be the very latest protocol. Has anyone out there tried it????[/i] Carolyn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Recent Protocol for IBS (D) new
      #251043 - 03/09/06 09:44 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

From what you're describing, it sounds like your doctor is diagnosing SIBO rather than IBS. Do a Search on the Diet Board for Sinai with no time limit. You'll find some posts by a user called "BadlyDrawnBoy" which discuss his treatment for SIBO at Cedars Sinai. I have no idea if his doctor is the one you're considering or if his treatment is the one you've had or are considering having.

There have also been some recent posts on the Diet Board about SIBO and its relationship to IBS. You can probably find them by doing a Search for SIBO or for "small bacteria" (no quotes).

Also, I see from your post on the Diet Board that you're using the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and that you find it excellent at controlling your D, so I'm not sure why you want to pursue something more.

If you truly have IBS and not SIBO, then I would suggest you try Heather's diet and see if that helps your D.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

What's SIBO?? new
      #251136 - 03/09/06 12:55 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Never heard of this.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: What's SIBO?? new
      #251169 - 03/09/06 02:27 PM
Sand

Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth. As I understand it, for some reason the small intestine is over-run with crazed bacteria. This produces symptoms similar to those identified as IBS.

I haven't been following this carefully, but apparently there was a recent study - or studies - that indicate some people who have been diagnosed with IBS have SIBO. As I understand it, this idea has been around for a while, but the original study that indicated this was pretty flawed. Supposedly, the recent studies seem to make it more likely that SIBO is an explanation in some cases.

It also looks like a lot of people are jumping on that bandwagon and now claiming ALL IBS is really SIBO. I don't buy it, because I can't figure out how following Heather's diet could have helped my IBS so dramatically if what I really had was bacteria gone wild. There's been some chatter about this on the Diet Board within the last 3 months - ShawnEric has references in his posts, I think. And there's some info about it on the Research Library Board.

After reading "The Second Brain", I go along with the idea that IBS is actually a name for a number of separate conditions that are not yet understood. As researchers identify those illnesses, they'll get peeled away from the IBS bundle, like Crohn's and colitis apparently did (if I remember correctly). SIBO may turn out to be one of those illnesses. Given what BadlyDrawnBoy said about his experience with the treatment, though, I'd approach the whole idea pretty cautiously.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

huh! Interesting. new
      #251170 - 03/09/06 02:33 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I could almost see that being me, because if I take my probiotics, I'm basically guaranteed to be able to eat whatever i want with no symptoms, as long as I stay away from about 4 triggers-milk, coffee, avocadoes, and brown bread(a lot of it) Mind you, stress can be really hard on me. I have been eating cheese for months now though, and never really have any reaction to speak of. And reember, this is the girl who has been in the hospital for HORRID attacks when I'm not on my probiotics. Whaddaya think?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: huh! Interesting. new
      #251173 - 03/09/06 02:43 PM
Sand

Could be. There's some kind of test for SIBO - a breath test if I remember correctly. If you post on the Diet Board, you'll probably get some responses. Ask for ShawnEric specifically, maybe. Like I said, I've just picked up bits and pieces, but he seems to be up on all the most recent research.

On the other hand, if the probiotics are doing the job, I say don't mess with success.

--------------------

Re: huh! Interesting. new
      #259121 - 04/20/06 06:58 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I just ran across this in a book on Amazon.com. It's called The New IBS Solution, by Mark Pimentel.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0977435601/sr=1-1/qid=1145541394/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8398841-5509505?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

I'm seeing a new GI next month and am going to ask him for the breath test. It's worth a shot.

--------------------
~jules

Is it... new
      #259124 - 04/20/06 07:07 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

the lactoluse breath test? I just had that done.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Is it... new
      #259186 - 04/20/06 08:36 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

There's a lactose intolerance breath test, and then the SIBO test, which is different, I believe.

--------------------
~jules

No, I didn't say lactose... new
      #259244 - 04/20/06 12:09 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I said Lactoluse....it's a different type of sugar. Could you let me know if this is the breath test for SIBO? I am almost positive it is.

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 798 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1233

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review