All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Traditions?
      #24561 - 10/27/03 01:11 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I am just curious as to what everyone Thanksgiving or Christmas traditions are.

I am getting excited about the "Giving Season" so thought I would ask.

We don't have too many traditions:

We always have opened only one gift on Christmas Eve.

We have stockings - which I just started doing last year and got every family members name embroidered on.

As for Thanksgiving - we don't have any traditions other than we got to my grandmothers. My husband's family doesn't have Thanksgiving together.

Anyways - tell me about some of your traditions.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Traditions? new
      #24582 - 10/27/03 04:37 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

When I was a kid, we had a ton of Christmas traditions. Not so many Thanksgiving traditions (with the exception of shoppers holiday the day after).

1) We always read "The Night Before Christmas" on Christmas Eve - no matter how much we protested!

2) My dad, brother, and I would go to Wal-mart at 2:00am in the morning on the 24th to do all our Christmas Shopping. Sadly, it was still crowded!

3) After going to 9:00pm Christmas Mass on Christmas Eve, we would eat my mom's yummy Beef Stroganoff while listening to Christmas music.

4) And Santa always left us slippers at the end of our bed, and a new pillow, a calendar, and a bottle of our favorite soda (we never got soda as a kid) under the Christmas Tree.

Sadly, all of this changed when I moved out and my parents got divorced. So now I am looking forward to starting new traditions with my mom and brother, as well as my dad and his new family.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#24584 - 10/27/03 04:42 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Hmmm, I wonder where you got the idea from??? We are still working out our family traditions. Every year seems to either add new traditions or say good-bye to others. Ever notice when you get married you have to figure out your own traditions. Every kid also changes things. I will have to post more when I have a chance.

#24600 - 10/27/03 06:39 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

When I was little, it was just my mom and I and we would always open our stockings in bed before we went out to the tree in the morning. Now, my fiance and I do the same thing.

Other than that, the only thing I do every year is spend an entire day (I either take a day off of work, or a Sunday - depends on what day Christmas falls on) and spend the whole day baking lots & lots of cookies, making chocolate covered pretzels and spiced nuts. I've always done this with the company of a bottle of wine, but we'll see what happens this year!

#24603 - 10/27/03 07:07 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Every year I buy my children a new ornament, new Christmas book and we bake and decorate cut out cookies. This year I am starting a new tradition and buying new PJ's and have my boys open the present on Christmas Eve and wear their PJ's to bed. We also make a Gingerbread House and what a mess that can be!

My church also has an Angel Tree and we pick out a child and buy a present on his/her wish list. We keep the child's picture on our refrigerator and we pray for him/her.

Last year I started a new tradition for Thanksgiving. Starting November 1rst as a family we talk about what we are thankful for that day and I write it down. On Thanksgiving Day I read everyone's answer and we pray for the blessings God gave us.

We may have lots of traditions, but my family never had any growing up and I don't want my children to miss out on the fun and important events surrounding the Holidays.

#24614 - 10/28/03 02:56 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

We go as a family to choose a christmas tree.

We decorate the tree together with lots of music.

We used to look for santa up in the sky as kids and leave food and drink out for santa.

My b'friend and I usually still go with the family and pick our trees together.

We decorate our own tree and the family tree - with our own tree, we make a rule: You can't enter the house until you've sung a line off a carol eg oh Christmas tree, your branches are so lovely.

We open one present from a relative on Christmas eve at midnight.

We open our stockings in the morning in bed

We have lunch/afternoon tea with family and have the evening meal together.

#24619 - 10/28/03 06:04 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Everyone has excellent traditions..I especially love the stockings in bed idea that a few of you do...that is awesome...I will have to do that...and take some milk and cookies to bed too to just lounge around.

Oh, I love Christmas...I can't wait until December 1 when I get to start decorating.

This morning I said to my husband..."I want to make Christmas curtains for in the living room" He goes, "For next year?"

LOL - He knows I hardly ever finish a project...he's surprised I have stuck with scrapbooking as long as I have LOL

Anyways - thanks for sharing - there is some wonderful ideas.

PS - Hmmm Torbetta where do you suppose I came up with this idea? LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#24646 - 10/28/03 09:52 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I just remember one - I can't believe I forgot!!

Every year my dad buys me a dated Hallmark daughter ornament. He's been doing it since the early 80's and if he never misses a year - he's not allowed! LOL

I've started the same thing with my godchild. Every year I buy her the Hallmark ornament for godchild. The only problem is I never want to see the daughter one by accident, because I like to be surprised when my dad gives it to me every year, so I have to walk in the Hallmark store with blinders on pretty much, and I ask the salesperson to find it for me.

#24703 - 10/28/03 08:11 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

For Thankgiving we alternate houses mine or my moms.
Homemade pies and salads. Kids deocrate icecream cone turkeys with marshmallows and gum drops and feathers, all eatable. Football big thing on Turkey day, My dad is a Cowboys fan and my husband a Redskin Fan. Next day hang up xmas lights and get the tree out and start decoratin for xmas.
Christmas always at home. Christmas eve we make gingerbread houses of graham grackers and frosting and other fun food decor. anyone who stops by can make one. We listen to xmas carols and sing along, bake xmas cookies and decorate them.
We open one present. Stockings a big deal and We even hang them for all the nephews and nieces. Everyone in the family has something from past years or present on the tree in our house, includes friends and family. Cooking a big thing although it's a bit lighter than Thanksging Day. My husband is hispanic and we have tamales homemade and atole and a drink made of oatmeal all hot. I'll post the oatmeal drink on th recipe exchange. Open present and open house all day.
Thanks for sharing we have been married for 18 yrs and every year gets better and tradition gets stronger.
Have fun with it.
Sherri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3607 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1356

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review