All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ladies I could use help preparing for my SIL wedding
      #24510 - 10/27/03 05:53 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

My sil is getting married Saturday and my husband, the girls and I are in the wedding. I have a few personal dilemmas that I could use some help with. The dress is sleeveless which presents several problems.

1. I hate and feel bad for the girls that have tan lines from their swimsuit that are visibly obvious with their bridesmaid dress. Well, mine is even worse. I have a farmers tan. It isn't real noticeable but enough to ask for suggestions.

2. I have a beautiful, big bruise on my arm that I got a week ago . I bruise so easy and I would hate for people to think my husband did it LOL . Besides, the way I got it is a little embarrassing. I guess it isn't as bad as the time I ran my arm into someone's side mirror on their car. Yes, I am a klutz .

3. Has anyone had their underarms waxed? It sure would be one less thing to worry about. I wasn't sure if it would be worth doing.

Can you tell I have only been in a few weddings? My sister's was in April so I was my regular, pale self and the dress had sleeves. And my wedding was in January, in the middle of a snowstorm. And that snowstorm was what memories are made of.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ladies I could use help preparing for my SIL wedding new
      #24518 - 10/27/03 06:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay...first things first. That bruise. Get some Arnica asap. You should be able to get a cream or gel from your chemists or health food store. This stuff is amazing. It should reduce the bruise.

Next, tan lines! Btw, I so sympathise with this. I get a sailors tan which is similar. A little bronzing gel would probably help - blend it in just above your tan line to make it more gradual. But watch you don't get it on your dress! Also, could you wear a wrap? There're some lovely ones around and draped across your arms, this would cover the tan lines.

I haven't had a wax, so I can't help you there.

Good luck! Linz

#24545 - 10/27/03 10:14 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I don't EVER tan, so can't help you there - never had a tan line in my life! LOL

I do bruise all the time also. Here's some weird info on Bruises. They say use vitamin K, but I'm not sure if that's immediately, or anytime after you get one. Maybe you could check the chart and see what color it will be by then, then work up a plan for a cover up.

I've never had my underarms waxed, but I wouldn't bother. You may get irritation in such a sensitive spot, and that may not be cleared up by Saturday. Just shave and save yourself the experiment for a time it doesn't really matter.

Good luck!

#24548 - 10/27/03 10:50 AM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

I used to work in the beauty industry,so hopefully i can help! To cover up the bruise you need a camoflague make-up,specially designed for this,don't panic they are waterproof and should not come off! There are several brands on the market: dermacolour,dermablend,covermark are the most popular.You tend to find these products either in a beauty salon,a really good chemist,there is a company called kryolan that do the dermacolour,but you would probably have to mail order(they have one in usa)its a much more pigmented cream and therefore covers dermalogical problems such as burns,birth marks veins etc.It also depends how old the bruise is,the older the bruise the easier to cover up!! I can give you some tips though!
As for tan lines,i would definetly agree with linz, a gel bronzer or fake tanning cream of some sort,you tend to find the beauty counters have lots of samples,so you might not even need to buy! Don't be tempted to go for the cheaper option as it might smear,you do get what you pay for!
I hope this has been of some help,if i think of anything else i will let you know!

--------------------
Morven

#24550 - 10/27/03 11:35 AM
Raven

Reged: 10/14/03

I have a few suggestions.
1) There are great sun-less tanning lotions out there...clinique has one. I believe Neutrogena has one out there that doesn't turn color, smell funny or stain.
2) Try going to the tanner and use a good tanning lotion. I like Sweddish Beauty and you can buy then cheaper at a place like Sally's Beauty Supplies rather than a tanning salon.

If you do go tanning, go in the stand-up so that you will get tan all-over. The bed works good too but you have to remember to lay your arms above your head for 1/2 the time to make sure it's even.
I have not tried the underarm wax so I can't help you out there.

~Raven

#24562 - 10/27/03 01:13 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Don't forget that the photographer is able to touch up any little imperfections such as tan lines etc.

As for your bruise, chances are a regular camera won't even pick it up.

I was so worried about my eczema showing my pictures, but it is so barely visable that I was so relieved.

Have fun

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#24587 - 10/27/03 04:47 PM
torbetta

Thanks for the information. I just asked Tory what color he thinks my bruise is and he said blue, which is 2-5 days. It has been 7 days. I will have to remember that information the next time.

I don't tan either, usually. I ended up burning early in June and it actually turned to tan. I was shocked. And I think I will skip the waxing. I don't feel like taking the time to do it anyways.

#24588 - 10/27/03 04:53 PM
torbetta

I have never heard of Arnica before. Sounds interesting. Wonder if we can get it in the states.

We are wearing scarfs for the wedding. The dresses are black and the scarfs are burgundy. My girls are wearing dresses made for them. They are ivory on top and burgundy skirts. The ivory top is the left over material from my sil dress. The church is nice and bright. The brightness is what is worries me about the tan lines.

#24615 - 10/28/03 02:58 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Perhaps you could get rid of the tan lines by using a tanning lotion or going to a solarium.

cover up the bruise with a lot of foundation makeup which won't show up in the wedding photos.

Good luck

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 278 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1996

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review