All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anyone try Melatonin for sleep?
      #244663 - 02/07/06 10:05 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I got a B12 shot from my doc yesterday, I hope this helps with my lack of energy and falling asleep at the wheel. But so far nothing,although it can take up to six days to take effect so we will see. Anyway I am still looking for something to help me get a restful sleep and someone recommended taking Melatonin before bed. Has anyone tried this? Side effects or anything? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone try Melatonin for sleep? new
      #244664 - 02/07/06 10:07 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Yea for you! I hope the B12 works as well as it did for me and Mindy (see what you started, Min?)!

My doctor recommended melatonin for sleep as well, but I haven't tried it yet. As with other things, this has been on my "list" for years to try.

~nelly~

People have mixed experiences but it's safe enough our Dr recommended it for my son new
      #244665 - 02/07/06 10:13 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

His autism made sleep impossible when he was younger. Melatonin helpd reset his body's "clock" and now he goes to sleep at an apprpriate time all by himself (most nights). Melatonin is something your body produces anyway, you're just giving more at the specified time. I take it sometimes in place of pain meds since they all have such ill effects, I'll sometimes reason that if I'm asleep I can't hurt. It helps.

Most important make sure it is PURE without added ingredients, vitamins or anything else that could counter the effect. GL

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Nelly new
      #244669 - 02/07/06 10:26 AM
Tissy

How long did the B12 shot take to work for you?

I think I am going to try the melatonin cause at this point in time I am desperate. I MUST get a refreshed nights worth of sleep!!!

Christie

--------------------
Christie

OH, and other sleep agents (tylenol PM, Benadryl) make me feel groggy next am - this doesn't.. new
      #244671 - 02/07/06 10:35 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Thanks Michelle! -nt new
      #244672 - 02/07/06 10:36 AM
Tissy

--------------------
Christie

Re: Nelly new
      #244679 - 02/07/06 10:56 AM
Nelly

On the 2nd day I noticed I wasn't tired at 3:30pm like I was normally. I actually had the energy to walk the dog at 5 (something I never do!). The next day I got a lot done and didn't have to think about it, and again come 5pm I wasn't sacked out like normally.

The biggest change is that I feel the tiredness coming back now. It's been a week and again I'm tired before the sun goes down, WAH! I can tell that last week I had more energy and I miss it now! I really want to get another shot now.

~nelly~

#244681 - 02/07/06 10:59 AM
Nelly

One more thing-- I've been taking baclofen plus benedryl to go to sleep since last week and I'm getting much more refreshed sleep than before. My IBS is still bad in the morning, though, but at least I'm not kicking or gnashing in my sleep like before.

~nelly~

#244686 - 02/07/06 11:04 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I take GNC's sublingual Melatonin sometimes to help me fall asleep. But, what I've found even more effective is listening to the IBS Hypnosis sessions.

--------------------
~jules

Not sure if this is a silly question, but.... new
      #244692 - 02/07/06 11:17 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I don't know very much about melatonin. Is this something you would take before bed to help make you fall asleep? Just wondering on the timing of when you take it versus when you go to sleep.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Yes, I have new
      #244706 - 02/07/06 11:30 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

It didn't fo much at all for me and the safety of it is still kinda in question. I was under the impression it was pretty hard to get in the US.

I have chronic insomnia and have tried lots of things that haven't worked, but this may work for you.

I just bought this product today new
      #244713 - 02/07/06 11:38 AM
Sara-Sage

http://store.darisimall.com/710780.html

It's a natural sleep aid, one that I've heard good things about and have not yet tried. I'll let you all know if it works.

Re: I just bought this product today new
      #244716 - 02/07/06 11:42 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Please do let us know how it goes....

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

I hope it help you, sweetie!-nt new
      #244740 - 02/07/06 12:02 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Thanks Beth! -nt- new
      #244751 - 02/07/06 12:13 PM
Sara-Sage

Re: Yes, I have new
      #244775 - 02/07/06 12:47 PM
Tissy

I just picked some up on my break at the Rite Aid across the street from my work, so it is not hard to get here but it does say on the bottle not approved by the FDA except as a supplement.

What safety issues are in question do you know?

Christie

--------------------
Christie

Re: Not sure if this is a silly question, but.... new
      #244778 - 02/07/06 12:52 PM
Tissy

Evidently your body normally produces it. It is abundant in children and decreases as you get older. Its purpose is to regulate your seasonal cycles and rhythms such as sleeping. The directions on the bottle I got say to take one before bedtime, doesn't say how long before bedtime.

Christie

--------------------
Christie

I'm not Tina, but... new
      #244782 - 02/07/06 12:55 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

in my biological rhythms class last term, we discussed melatonin, and my professor (who does research in that area) said that long term use can increase risk of autoimmune disorders.

The FDA doesn't regulate supplements at all, and since melatonin is a naturally occuring substance, it's considered a supplement. Therefore, there hasn't been safety and effectiveness studies done like with FDA approved medications.

HTH, Tissy, and that you feel better soon! Luckily two Benadryl when I can't sleep and the Energy Extract stuff my doctor gave me is enough for me to deal with my fibro fatigue for the moment....

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Do you know if it is has any addiction risks? -nt- new
      #244783 - 02/07/06 12:55 PM
Tissy

--------------------
Christie

What is energy extract? -nt- new
      #244784 - 02/07/06 12:58 PM
Tissy

--------------------
Christie

Benadryl...... new
      #244788 - 02/07/06 01:02 PM
Tissy

sometimes works for me but more often then not anything with antihistamines in it bounce me off the wall. Nyquil wires me instead of knocks me out usually, sometimes it works though. My doc said this is not unusual with fibromites. And I know Laura Sue used to have that problem too. I guess every fibro person is different.
Christie

--------------------
Christie

It's a supplement from my fibro doctor... new
      #244793 - 02/07/06 01:22 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Here's a link to where it's sold online: Energy Extract

My doctor was concerned since upping my thyroid meds wasn't making me less tired, and I was losing weight, but am still hypothyroid. So decided to try me on this, which helped so much that I'm supposed to take one 3x a day, and I had to stop taking the after dinner one since it was keeping me awake! I now take 2 after breakfast and 1 after lunch.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Fibro and insomnia new
      #244797 - 02/07/06 01:37 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm on a combination of 10mg Ambien and 4mg of Zanaflex and it has improved my sleep a lot. I was on just Ambien alone for a while but that wasn't getting me into the restorative sleep I needed. I also have RA so its hard to tell how much its helping with the fibro because I'm in a bad Ra flare up right now as well but I do know I'm sleeping better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#244801 - 02/07/06 01:53 PM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

YEP IT REALLY WORKS I TAKE 2 BECAUSE I CAN"T FALL ASLEEP BUT WHEN I WAKE UP THE REST OF THE DAY I'M BACK TO HAVING ENERGY NO SIDE AFECTS AT ALL

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

Please read.... new
      #244844 - 02/07/06 05:07 PM
Sara-Sage

Oh ok, that was easy.

The issues were that is is not safe to give your body an excess of something that the body already produces.

I am not a doctor or a scientist but to me, I would worry that someone with fibro would not want an immune-enhancing drug since fibro is an auto-immune disease/disorder. This would possibly have your immune system have more fibro symptoms? The same goes with RA and Lupus. You should, in my opinion, never take echinacea or any other immune-boosting supplements. I feel pretty strongly about this.

But I would ask your doctor.

---------------------------

Many people are discouraged from taking melatonin. People with the symptoms of severe mental illness, severe allergies, ***auto-immune diseases***, or immune system cancers such as leukemia should not be taking melatonin. It is also not recommended during pregnancy or for women who want to conceive (http://www.teleport.com/~for/#1). There have not been many significant studies done with this drug. While it appears to be safe, melatonin has not yet been approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

Melatonin
The only people who shouldn't take melatonin, or who should only take it very carefully under the care of a physician, are patients with leukemia, lymphomas, or other immune system cancers, or who have auto immune diseases such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. Such patients need to be careful about taking melatonin because it is a strong immune system stimulant, which is beneficial for most people, >>>>>but can cause problems in patients whose immune system has gone awry<<<<<. There is also some evidence suggesting that patients with ovarian cancer should not take melatonin.

Thanks for the info Tina, I will talk to my doc about this! -nt- new
      #244906 - 02/08/06 06:13 AM
Tissy

--------------------
Christie

Re: Thanks for the info Tina, I will talk to my doc about this! -nt- new
      #245046 - 02/08/06 12:34 PM
Sara-Sage

Oh, if you do, let me know what he says. Thanks!

#245383 - 02/09/06 10:38 PM
Emarie

Reged: 06/14/05

Yes, Melatonin is wonderful! I only take 1/2 of the 1mg. If it doesn't work, take a whole one or two. If I take two, I am out like a light and it's hard for me to get out of bed the next morning. Take it about 30-40 minutes before you want to go to bed. I read somewhere that it is good for IBS, but can't remember where I read it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2128 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3271

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review