All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Off work
      #241710 - 01/26/06 07:34 AM
Stonegate

Reged: 06/30/04
Loc: Lawrence, Kansas

Way back on August 15, 2005, I noticed that my forearm hurt. The next day I noticed it felt worse. I kepted putting up with it for two weeks and then went to the hospital ER straight from work when my arm was visibly swollen. After a couple months of therapy (thanks to worker's comp) I'm still out of work. Workers comp has continued to send me checks and my boss (for once) has been very forgiving. Looks like I'll be having surgery to repair torn tendons or is it ligaments? Don't know. Which all brings me to the question why work couldn't have been as kind to me concerning my IBS?

--------------------
Sometimes I walk backwards to see where I have been!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Because people don't take IBS seriously new
      #241729 - 01/26/06 08:43 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

If they could have it for a few days, I'm sure they'd be way more sympathetic.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Off work new
      #241735 - 01/26/06 09:15 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Hey Stonegate,
Hope you're feeling well. Might I ask, what happened that you tore you tendons? I only ask because a friend of mine has been having pain & swelling in her hand & heel. She doesn't remember hurting herself, just woke up one morning & it was in pain. Sounded like you had the same experience.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

I agree new
      #241756 - 01/26/06 10:20 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

It's one of those hidden ailments. If they saw it in front of their faces, I'll bet they'd take it more seriously!!

~nelly~

I hate to say it.. but... new
      #241757 - 01/26/06 10:20 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

if its workmans comp they are going to be more understanding by far because they will try to avoid a lawsuit... then anything else.. I have a friend who had a very high risk pregnancy and they wouldn't hold her job the full 4 months she needed to be off to have the baby safely.. as soon as 12 weeks FMLA was gone she was out of work too... thankfully she was safe as far as insurance via cobra.. but that wasn't cheap either.

As to IBS- most people think its a joke and ignore it. I did not have the diagnosis written on my medical note that is in my file at work (our time is accountable to the minute, so I need it in case I have a bad day and need to use the potty at a non break time). When I mentioned the issues by name once to an HR person they basically laughed in my face, so I have gone out of my way to get it dealt with otherways.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#242282 - 01/28/06 06:13 AM
Stonegate

Reged: 06/30/04
Loc: Lawrence, Kansas

Quote:

Hey Stonegate,
Hope you're feeling well. Might I ask, what happened that you tore you tendons? I only ask because a friend of mine has been having pain & swelling in her hand & heel. She doesn't remember hurting herself, just woke up one morning & it was in pain. Sounded like you had the same experience.

It was nearly mystical! Just kidding. Actually I don't recall doing anything different or abrupt. Just a soreness at the end of the day. I've been kept in a splint and pumped full of pain pills ever since. Probably headed for surgery in about three to five weeks.

--------------------
Sometimes I walk backwards to see where I have been!

#242328 - 01/28/06 11:26 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Um -- because people suck.

I have endometriosis (misdiagnosed for a long time as IBS, which is why I came here), and though my current boss is very understanding, I can't get any kind of medical leave from work because so far no doctor will fill out the paperwork. My gynecologist has said that he doubts my company would approve the leave even if he did do the paperwork.

To be fair about it -- companies are in business to make money. They aren't in business to be kind to humanity. My employer hired me expecting that I could put in X hours a week during approximate business hours performing at X performance level. I can't expect them to keep me on if I'm doing a crummy job, even if I'm doing a crummy job because of health issues. At the same time, they should make at least a reasonable attempt to be accomodating.

The ONLY good thing I've found about having endo instead of IBS is that at least nobody laughs about endometriosis. Instead, they just mispronounce it, and get all embarrassed at having to think about your uterus. (Well, at least when you're like me and practically all of your co-workers are guys.)

Sorry to hear about your arm! Hope you get to feeling better soon.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 776 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 717

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review