All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need help in determining what ailment I have.
      #24136 - 10/21/03 08:38 PM
SteveD

Reged: 10/21/03
Loc: Mt. Juliet, TN

I wasn't sure if this is an appropriate question for this forum, but here goes. (Sorry if it's not!) I had two feet of my colon removed about a year and half ago and have been suffering ever since. I've always had a weak stomach, but part of that was attributed to food allergies. The colon section was removed because it was too long. (I'd rather not go into the nasty details surrounding that otherwise, unless someone really wants to know to help me determine what's going on.) Ever since then, I have had constant stomach trouble. It took around 9 months for things to get back to even a semi-normal state in that area. Constant stomach cramping, loose bowels, etc., but virtually no gas during that time. I thought I had it made in that area until earlier this year when the gas came back with a vengeance! I am way too regular these days (several bowel movements a day) and almost everything I eat causes me to have severe gas, sometimes bloating, and much less frequently, pain. It's embarrasing and extremely bothersome. I'm a little confused as to what IBS is, or at least whether or not I fall into that category, even after reading lots of info on this web site. Does anyone know what my symptons sound like they might be? I have had lots of turmoil going on in my personal life over the past year or more and thought that the emotional stress might be causing the bowel problems, but they have gotten worse over the last month or so, with weight loss included. I started taking Sam-e for depression a few weeks ago and thought that might be exaserbating the problems, but not sure. Stomach problems are one of the side effects of Sam-e for people with weak stomachs. I saw a Gastroenterologist a year ago for it and he sent me home with a hand-out that explained what foods caused gas and a "good luck" wish. He wanted me to come back in three months, but I was discouraged and never went back. Should I find another doctor to determine if this is something serious or does this sound like something I can treat with Heather's material? Any help would be much appreciated. I found that I am eating lots of the trigger foods on a regular basis. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need help in determining what ailment I have. new
      #24142 - 10/22/03 03:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Make that appointment with the GI doc! This is VERY important. Your symptoms sound like IBS, but IBS is only definitely diagnosed after everything else, like Crohn's Disease/IBD/etc, is ruled out. So you need to go and have tests and talk to the GI doc.

In the meantime, try eating less fat and insoluble fibre, cut out dairy products and avoid anything carbonated. You might want to try to eat more rice and potatoes and less bread and pasta, in case you have Celiac disease (allergic to wheat).

Get checked out!

Linz

#24195 - 10/22/03 07:01 PM
SteveD

Hey Thanks Linz! I will make an appointment. After reading some of the info on this site last night, I went without any fruit or wheat breads today and could not believe the difference! I figured it would take a while to get out of my system (I eat lots of both every day!). Much better day today than I've had in quite a while. Thanks for being the only one to take time to reply to me. Guess my request was too complex for most people?!

PS How does one go about finding a good doctor for this?

#24206 - 10/23/03 04:01 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi Steve

You might have got a better response on the 'Eating for IBS' board, but hey, sometimes it takes a while to get responses.

There've been some posts on docs in the past - a search should find them. Or post on the 'Eating...' board asking for suggestions. I live in the UK so I don't know how you find a doc out there.

I too found I was so much better after cutting out wholewheat bread.

Linz

#24211 - 10/23/03 06:57 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Steve D,
Welcome to the board! Hope you can find some help here. You said you are eating plenty of trigger foods. If you will try following Heather's eating guidelines, I think you will find that you feel much better, like you have already discovered. I can't remember if you said you are taking fiber supplements, but if not, that might help you to stabilize. I take Citrucel 3 times a day, before meals, and it doesn't cause gas at all. If you don't like drinking the orange stuff, you can get it in capsule form too which is great when you are away from home. Just drink lots of water all day! For me, the biggest triggers are dairy (cheese) and fat, but everyone is different. You will just have to experiment to see what you can and cannot tolerate. And yes, I would see a doctor if I were you, just because you have his this previous surgery. Good luck!

#24288 - 10/23/03 09:17 PM
SteveD

Thanks BeagleLover and Linz. I appreciate your advice! I made an appointment with my family doctor today and I'll see where he goes with it first, I guess. Ate at a restaurant tonight and got what I thought was the mildest thing on the menu and it caused me all kinds of problems! This really gets old!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2814 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1119

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review