Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questioning BC methods
      #241000 - 01/24/06 07:13 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi everyone,
I remember seeing some threads on birth control methods before, but I never really paid much attention because I'd been on the same pill forever, it worked for me and I wasn't considering any alternatives. Well, about a month and half ago, I had gone too long between my GYN appointments and my BC perscription ran out. By the time I got in to get the papsmear thing done, I'd been off my pills for about 3 weeks. I've now been off for about six weeks. When I was at the GYN doc she gave me a perscription for a new pill. She said I should switch because I'd been on the same one for so long (since 1998) and she switched me from tri-phasal 28 to levlin (a monophasal pill). I was supposed to wait till I started my next period and start the new pills. My husband and I have been using condoms since I went off the pill. Condoms are not the sexies thing in the world, but I have to admit, I'm not excited about starting BC pills again either. I like the way I feel off the pill. I've been less moody and I've also been more interested in certain things - hubby likes that and I do too!!! Certain things are also more enjoyable! (I'm such a little prude with my euphamisms - but you guys get the point)! So what I'm asking is, has anyone else gone off the pill and remained sexually active without worrying about pregnancy. Will and I are not looking to have a baby right now. Actually, my doctor has told me my body is not in the best shape to carry on atm, and he's said I NEED to use some sort of method. What methods are out there that are reliable besides pills? If pills, which ones may be better than others? I know some of you have experience with these sorts of decisions, so please share your insight!
Much Thanks!
Min

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questioning BC methods new
      #241011 - 01/24/06 07:33 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi Mindy! Monophasic pills should help a little with the moodiness since they are giving you one, steady dose of hormones instead of a varying dose. When I went off the pill a couple years ago, I didn't really notice a different in anything other than I now get more cramps with my periods! If you're feeling better without the hormones though, ask your obgyn about a barrier method. I know they have come out with some new kinds of diaphragm things in the last couple of years. I've been all about getting pregnant, not preventing so I'm not up on the latest devices in that area! I'm sure someone else though will be able to give better suggestions!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Just a thought... new
      #241044 - 01/24/06 08:34 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

When DH and I used an alternative method, we used foam. (Delphen I think was the brand) and it worked pretty well. Got the idea from my sister who couldn't take the pill and it worked for her too for years!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

I'm glad you're asking because I'm right there with you new
      #241060 - 01/24/06 08:52 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I'm sick of taking the pill, and not QUITE ready for #2 yet, but sooo not wanting to go on the pill again. I've been off for about a week and a half, and have had the most messed up periods and even PMS lately. Yucky.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

What we did.... new
      #241063 - 01/24/06 08:54 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

was use condoms. I was only on BC pills for a year or two, and went off when I got married. We used condoms most of the time, unless I was "sure" that it was not a time I'd get pregnant. It must have worked pretty well, because once we stopped using condoms, I got pregnant the second month!!

--------------------

Re: What we did.... new
      #241084 - 01/24/06 10:03 AM
mindyj

Hi Ginger.
We've been using condums since I went off the pill. Like I said, I've been fine with them, but they're not the most sexy things to deal with! Also, I know my husband doesn't like how it feels taking them off. He seems to be otherwise satisfied with the process however. I have a few friends who use condums. Maybe I'll ask around.
By the way, congrats on the baby!!!

Re: Just a thought... new
      #241086 - 01/24/06 10:05 AM
mindyj

Worked "pretty well" - what does that mean? Is that really reliable?? How long did your sister use it? Once she got pregnant was it planned? I need to make sure I use something that won't leave too much to chance!

Re: Just a thought... new
      #241096 - 01/24/06 10:23 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I used it for over 2 years with no unexpected surprises. My sister used it for almost 11 years with only one oops! and that was at the end of that period of time. She had three planned pregnancies over a period of about 8 years and #4 sort of slipped up on her two years after the third pregnancy. Pretty reliable overall. Sorry to be vague.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

I can't take the pill.. or use most condoms.. new
      #241378 - 01/25/06 06:58 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

the pill made me very sick and I am allergic to latex- we use a silicone diaghragm... its a bit of a pain to have to go put it in but it works for up to 6 hours with spermicide and I have never had an accident using it... we have talked about more permanent BC, but not done anything yet. Then again I am on BC to avoid another Miscarriage not to avoid adding to our family...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4456 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 793

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review