All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Truffles, not chocolate but black or white tuber truffles
      #239727 - 01/19/06 07:03 AM
Johanne

Reged: 12/20/04
Loc: Leysin, Vaud Switzerland

In Europe where I live, truffles are often found on restaurant menus, grated or sliced raw as garnish or cooked with other foods. It is also possible to buy them in specialty shops or at a market for home use. I would like to know if they are safe for IBS people to eat. Can they be treated like mushrooms which are a similar fungus? Thanks for any help, Johanne.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I believe so... new
      #239763 - 01/19/06 08:19 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I think they would qualify as safe, if they're similar to mushrooms... I would consider them so, anyway. If I'm wrong, someone else will correct me, though - LOL!

Re: I believe so... new
      #239773 - 01/19/06 09:06 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sorry, the only truffles I know of are chocolate! And as yummy as they are, they definitely aren't safe!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Truffles, not chocolate but black or white tuber truffles new
      #239777 - 01/19/06 09:25 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Here is a whole section about them web page ... see page #4 of 6 for the truffle itself. I would think they would be safe as Casey said.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Truffles, not chocolate but black or white tuber truffles new
      #239871 - 01/19/06 12:49 PM
Johanne

Thanks for the rapid input re truffles. I am going to a special restaurant tomorrow with lots of truffles on the menu.It will already be pushing a bit to go there with lots of unknowns in the food but I will prepare as well as I can. I will definitely have truffles in some fashion. Will let you know the results if I can tell what does what to my tum. Thanks, Johanne

truffles are wonderful, but... new
      #240133 - 01/20/06 07:30 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I haven't tried them since I went on this diet and got stable... I imagine they will be safe, but they are so expensive and the only places in town that use them in restaurant cooking are places that I am afraid to eat at for other reasons... or are just too expensive- if I'm going to spend that kidn of $$ I'd rather it be on stuff I love since I can't eat most of the stuff on the Earle's menu anymore- heavy sauces...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Truffles are safe! ast least for me. new
      #242277 - 01/28/06 03:49 AM
Johanne

Truffles are safe to eat, at least for me. I had an all truffle menu with some truffles with every course in some fashion or another, both cooked and raw. They are heaven! and I survived.There were several fish courses and only a small portion of veal as a main. Champagne and wine too. As you can guess this was a VERY special celebration and how wonderful that I was able to partake. Sometimes a very good restaurant has better quality foods and purer sauces of veg reductions instead of butter bases. Gotta take some chances now and then.
In case anyone is interested I prepped myself just before we arrived at the restaurant with a rice cracker, double my usual portion of acacia powder and took 2 imodium. It worked well for me.
Best, Johanne.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2018 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1180

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review