All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
week-long stomach flu
      #239557 - 01/18/06 03:47 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

there's this vicious stomach flu going around the city - seems to last for several days, up to a week. (there's a reason flus are 24-hour bugs - we can't handle more than a day of violent puking!) i'm so scared of getting it - if normal people are taking so long to recover, i'd hate to see what it'd do to someone with ibs! ugh. i guess the upside would be that we already know how to take care of our stomachs & treat them gently... right? i'm on a massive hand-washing campaign and just keeping my fingers crossed, but i can't think of anything else preventative to do.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: week-long stomach flu new
      #239562 - 01/18/06 03:49 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Up your vitamin C as well as your iron, as one affects the other. Handwashing works really well, but just remember to not touch your face as well. Drink lots of hot liquids to keep your system 'warm', and good luck!

#239566 - 01/18/06 03:57 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

In addition to what Isabel said, I'd recommend not sharing snacks or treats that co-workers or friends might bring. Unfortunately, not everyone washes their hands. EW!

You're on the right track... new
      #239616 - 01/18/06 05:54 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

and remember, the actual influenza virus is a respiratory infection-in your lings-with fever and chills and losing consciousness. no stomach involved, usually. So the flu shot is useless for the stomach flu, known as gastroenteritis or rotavirus or Norovirus.

Can you tell I'm a geek who does her research?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#239684 - 01/19/06 04:59 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Go to a deserted island and don't come back till spring. that's the only way I can think of. I get the stomach flu from just talking about it. EVERY Feb. vacation when I was a kid I got it. Yuck! Hopefully I'm done with it for this year. I got it when I was in the hospital last week. fun when you are hooked up to machines and can't run.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: You're on the right track... new
      #239689 - 01/19/06 05:19 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I have heard of this flu going around. My boss's kids had it and it got passed along through the house, even his wife got it. But he didn't. There is only so much you can do. Everyone has great suggestions. I echo them. Wash your hands and don't touch your face. Also buy one of those little bottles of Purell and use it immediately after being on the subway! I do or try to!

--------------------

More suggestions to avoid getting sick new
      #239699 - 01/19/06 06:04 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I saw a special on tv yesterday on this subject. They said to avoid touching things that a lot of others touch---like elevator buttons and door handles in public restrooms. The woman showed how she hits the elevator button with her elbow! I thought I was the only one that paranoid about germs! HA!

I always use a paper towel to open public restroom doors, and I wouldn't hold on to the side of an escalator if someone paid me a million dollars!

Also, the story said that the handle on the office's microwave is usually 100 times more infectionous than a toilet! How gross!

Lately, I've been wiping down my kitchen counters, doorknobs, tv remote, phones (land and cell) and tv knobs----as well as everything in our bathrooms----with those Lysol antibacterial wipes. I love those things! The kitchen is my new target, since I heard it's more of a germ culprit than the bathroom.

I went shopping yesterday and wiped down the handle on the shopping cart with an antibacterial wipe I had in my purse. An employee gave me a strange look, but I don't care! I don't want to be sick again!

Also, if you do get sick, throw out your toothbrush and replace it with a new one afterwards.

And please stay home from work if you are sick. Everyone in my husband's office got the same thing---and just passed it around, because they all thought they were too valuable to stay home when they were hacking and coughing.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 658

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review