Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: I got a JOB! new
      #240711 - 01/23/06 06:50 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Thanks, Angela
I'm pretty jazzed, I'm glad you can relate! Such a good feeling for the search to be over AND to already know that I like the place.
The vacay will be 4 weeks in Asia: Thailand, Hong Kong, and Japan. I'm really looking forward to it!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks everyone! new
      #240712 - 01/23/06 06:51 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I'm going to try to respond to specific questions below!

--------------------
Amanda

commercial litigation new
      #240713 - 01/23/06 06:57 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

The firm I'm working for has a transactions group (we write up a contract so one company can buy another company, etc), which I find pretty boring, and I'm thankfully not in that department. The other half of the practice is commercial litigation (companies suing each other, sometimes a private person suing a company, or a company suing a private person, but not usually two private people suing each other). The bulk of the commercial litigation practice is Insurance Defense, meaning when one of our clients, an Insurance company, denies a claim to one of their insureds, and that person sues the insurance company for coverage, we defend the insurance company. I know it sounds dull but I actually really like it. It's fun picking apart the policy language and figuring out what the terms really mean, researching how the courts have interpreted these terms before, etc.
97% of all suits in the country get settled before they reach the courtroom, but I am hoping to get some of the 3% that doesn't, so I can get some courtroom practice. Either way, I'll get to do a ton of writing, which I like almost as much as speaking!

--------------------
Amanda

what to wear ... new
      #240715 - 01/23/06 07:05 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I'll wear a suit just about every day, like I did this summer. I can also get away with a skirt and a sweater, or a dress and a cardigan. There are a couple of factors at play: 1, I'm only 24 and don't need to emphasize that. 2, I'm one of only 3 women attorneys at the firm, and I don't really want to emphasize that either. It's already weird when partners hold doors for me, since I'm so junior to them!
So yeah, I try to avoid the sexy stuff too much. All the administrative staff is female (secretary, receptionist, etc) and they don't always dress very professionally, and I don't want the others at the firm to lump me in together with them since they're all my age and women. So I'll try to wear conservative suits and not lunch with them too much. Ay, office politics ...

--------------------
Amanda

Re: I got a JOB! new
      #240716 - 01/23/06 07:08 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Thanks, Tommy! I'll be in midtown-east, which is a perfect commute for me since I live in the Murray Hill / Kips Bay area. I'll walk on most days, and take the 6 when it's too nasty out or I'm too lazy.

--------------------
Amanda

Re: Congrats! new
      #240717 - 01/23/06 07:11 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

thanks! I'm not really comfortable posting the firm name online. I can email it to you if you like. It's a small firm of about 30 attorneys in midtown-east, if that helps!

--------------------
Amanda

Asia! new
      #240719 - 01/23/06 07:13 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

One of my girlfriends from school and I are going to Thailand (Phuket, Cheng Mei, Bangkok), Hong Kong, and Japan (Kyoto, Tokyo, and hopefully a day or two at an Inn in the country). I'm SO EXCITED, needless to say!

--------------------
Amanda

living situation new
      #240720 - 01/23/06 07:21 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Thanks! I actually think I'll have more free time when I'm working than I've had as a student, so I'm going to try to stay here in the stamp house. If it gets to be too much, I suppose I'll move, but I'd rather stay and pocket all of my salary!

--------------------
Amanda

Re: commercial litigation new
      #240757 - 01/23/06 08:54 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I did insurance defence for a lot of my traineeship- I used to like the ones best where the Insurance company got a private investigator to shadow the claimant and they found him working as a roofer even though he had claimed in the court papers that he could barely walk. We had tons of those kinds of ones. Even when they do settle they still go so far that you have all the prep done to go to trial...I miss private practice Best of luck with it!

--------------------
S.

Re: Asia! new
      #240759 - 01/23/06 08:58 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Wow, sounds fantastic.
I was in Tokyo a few years ago and it was AMAZING- a different world (very, very expensive though) Lots of great dining opportunities. If you get the chance travel to Nikko (it's about an hour and half by train from Central Tokyo) to the most beautiful temples- it's like being in Disneyland.

I am hoping to go to Southeast Asia on holiday this year- Thailand,Cambodia, Vietnam..somewhere in that general vicinity. Have to wait a while to book yet though...

Have a great time.

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 354 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4723

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review