All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
questions after Doc appointment
      #237316 - 01/10/06 03:33 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Okay, so maybe it would have been better to post for input before the appointment - but that would have just been way too organized for me - so better late than never. So my last blood tests said that I had high levels of MCH which means that my red blood cells are enlarged. This is a side effect of the immunosuppressant meds I take for Crohn's. The doctor also said though, that I have enough red blood cells in my count, so I'm not anemic in that sense. However, high MCH is also often indicative of B12 defficiencies. I have been EXCEEDINGLY fatigued recently. We're talking sleep 7 to 8 hours at night, nap after work and STILL fall asleep in my chair at work 6 to 8 times a day fatigued. I've also been getting headaches more than usual - bad headaches - going through two and three doses of tylenol a day headaches (I can't take other headache meds because they can aggravate the Crohn's). I also get dizzy pretty often, especially with exercise. I told my doctor all this and I really wanted him to give me a B12 shot on the spot. I've heard the energy rush is really helpful, but of course he wanted to run a bunch of tests, so I still feel like I need nothing but to sleeeeeeeep!!! That's no good. He also said he thinks the fatigue could be caused by disease activity and we may have to do another scope - doesn't that sound like jolly good fun. I don't understand that though because I'm not having other signs of inflamation - like running to the bathroom D all the time. Okay, so I have D about once a week and I do get mild to moderate stomach pain after almost every meal, but it goes away, and it's rarely severe - on my scale - that's not bad - I don't know. I also asked him about my heart burn problems, which seem to be getting worse again. I get heart burn pain and the reflux type burps with lots of different acid bearing foods and sometimes just out of the blue. He prescribed perscription strength Zantac - anyone have any experience with that? I've heard nexium can cause D - so I'm skeptical.
So I should hear back on my tests at the end of the week and then I'll know if we need scopes or B12 shots or what on earth will be next.
Meanwhile, I know lots of you don't know much about the Crohn's thing, but any comments are appreciated. There just isn't really any other place I can talk about all this stuff you know, so thanks for letting me vent.
Min

PS - I ate chicken boob with white rice and a peach sauce (home-made, no msg) for lunch about three hours ago. I now have heart burn and a raging tummy ache ( pain more moderate than mild defenetly) would this be a bad sign???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: questions after Doc appointment new
      #237318 - 01/10/06 03:53 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Let your doc know how bad the upper GI issues are....he may well want to scope to see if there's any damage. Although Zantac also inhibits acid production like the PPIs (eg. Nexium) it's actually a different family of meds. So maybe he's thinking the risk of lower GI side effects is less??? Sounds like he's on the ball with that tho.

At least you don't have very long to wait for the results to see if you need B12. Are you taking any supplements?

Re: questions after Doc appointment new
      #237349 - 01/10/06 04:24 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Sounds perplexing, Min. I can't offer any advice, unf. I just wanted to offer support and hugs!

I'm sleeping a LOT because I'm pretty depressed at the moment. Do you have any seasonal depression (which might be mimicking some symptoms)? I get sick exactly 1/2 an hour after I start eating, but with meds it goes away pretty quickly. It's such a subtle pang in my stomach that I can easily overlook it sometimes and forget to take my meds right away, so I get completely otherwise preventable D more often than I should.

I hope you get some answers from your tests. And make sure to vent away!! It's good for the head!!

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1370 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 383

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review