All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Dr. Offices bug me.....
      #237281 - 01/10/06 02:22 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Ok so I posted a few days ago that all my tests from my OB came back normal. Well I never actually talked to my OB just the nurse on the phone who made me wait a day until the doctor could read the results. Ok I understand that. Well I get home today and there is a message saying "Hi Angela, it is Dr... office calling. We have your test results in and the Dr. would like to talk to you about them. Please call us tomorrow." What h$ll does that mean?? Does it mean she wants to tell me everything is ok in person? We have a pretty close relationship as far as Dr/patient is concerned. If it that is the case why did they wait until today which I talked to them last Thursday to call me???? I am so frustrated and of course I get the message when they are closed!!

So now I have to wait until tomorrow to call. If the results aren't all ok some nurse is going to get quite a tongue lashing from me. I am hoping I am overreacting here but damn can't I go a few days without having to worry about something with someone's health in my family!!

Sorry guys just needed to vent and need some comfort.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ugh! new
      #237295 - 01/10/06 02:37 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I would be upset too!! I wonder if maybe not ALL the tests came in when you talked to the nurse last week? I'll be waiting for an update tomorrow to see what they say! Hugs!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Dr. Offices bug me..... new
      #237298 - 01/10/06 02:51 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Usually a nurse has to have the Dr read over the results before she reads them to you. She/He can not give you results without the docs consent. I used to work for a Dr and she had to approve and give us the ok to give pts results if everything was normal, but if it was abnormal the Dr would do it herself. I am sure nothing is wrong and maybe she just wants to tell you herself. Keep us posted.

Re: Dr. Offices bug me..... new
      #237300 - 01/10/06 02:54 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Angela,
I've had doctor's offices do this to me too and I agree - it sucks! In the case of my HMO the doctors will call to talk with you if there is anything substantive to tell you from your tests - like any follow-up actions of appointments you need to make or if there are results indicative that there should be follow-up. Weahter that's good or bad news depends on the tests I suppose - and on the recommended follow-up...
I hope everything's okay though, and find something to occupy your mind until you can make the call so you don't end up stewing over it - I know I've done that before and it doesn't help. Last time I had to wait for test results I baked two batches of cookies and a loaf of bread - at least it was productive!

Let us know how things go Angela!

Min

Angela new
      #237315 - 01/10/06 03:19 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

That's terrible! I can't believe they'd leave you a message like that. Now you have no choice but to worry about what she meant.

Do you want me to go over there and hit her over the head? I'm not normally a violent person, but this makes me so mad. Doctors' offices can be so insensitive!

I'm sure it's no big deal, but they shouldn't worry patients like that. Let us know what they say tomorrow.

Update.... new
      #237502 - 01/11/06 07:15 AM
Angela E.

Well I called this morning and talked to the same nurse who told me everything was fine last week. She said that she never said all the tests were in. Bullsh$! I asked her. The doctor wants to see me because I tested positive for MTHFR factor. I don't know much about it but what I read sounds like it is a clotting disorde. I don't know what I will have to do for it but I am going tomorrow at 11:15 to see the doctor. I am so mad at that nurse for making me believe that all the tests have come back. I am just so down right now and worried.

*HUG* it will work out and this sounds like it may explain what happened! new
      #237507 - 01/11/06 07:34 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

Make sure you tell the doctor what happened- I had this issue and a nurse got fired back when I was having the scans of my head for the irregularity in my pituitary gland becuase she told me it was in my brain and freaked me out and made my IBS act up!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Update.... new
      #237508 - 01/11/06 07:38 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Angela, I don't blame you for being angry. That is not right! I'm sorry they have scared you to death. I'm not familiar with that condition, but I hope it's nothing really serious. I know you are anxious to talk to the doctor. At least they didn't make you wait weeks to get in to see him!

You have had a lot on your plate this past year. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Big hug!

Re: Update.... new
      #237511 - 01/11/06 07:50 AM
michele

Sweetie, the nurse should be shot! I understand how upset you are, I would be too. However, the MTHFR IS treatable!!!! Its been a while since I researched that one because its been ruled out in me but I remember it wasn't one of the more serious things. So, as upset and frustrating and scary as this all is, its actually not bad news at all! They found a reason for your losses, I know that doesn't make them any easier but it does mean that they can "fix" it and you should be able to have another baby!!!

--------------------

How awful!! new
      #237515 - 01/11/06 07:53 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Clearly you know what you said to the nurse, it's not the kind of thing you make a mistake about, we're talking about your healthy here!! If I were you, when I saw the doctor I'd mention that for sure. He needs to know how his nurses are treating people.

--------------------

How unprofessional new
      #237566 - 01/11/06 09:16 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

When is the medical society going to remember that they are dealing with real people with real emotions and fears.

How totally careless and unprofessional. Please let us know how the appointment goes. I hope this is nothing serious, Angela.

(((((((HUGS))))))

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: How unprofessional new
      #237581 - 01/11/06 09:37 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Well, after reading ALL of this...it sounds like you told the nurse what she did and she was unwilling to apologize/say she made a mistake? That's not cool!

In any event...i'm sorry you had to suffer this way Angela *Hugs*

Let us know how the appointment goes. Do a google search for the conditiona dn research it would be what I would do. And remember we are here for you to cry to and lean on! I've had my share of diagnoses...so I can def. be a listening ear.

We all love you and are hoping all is ok for you

*more hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: How unprofessional new
      #237593 - 01/11/06 10:11 AM
Angela E.

Thanks everyone I appreciate the support! I don't have time today to respond to everyone but your support and love means alot. I am going to talk to my doctor tomorrow and tell her about what that nurse did. It sounds like she is not the favorite one in a lot of people's opinion that see my doctor. I will update you guys tomorrow but it won't be until late afternoon. My appointment is at 11:15 and I have some other errands to do before picking up Noah. I did some research on this and it doesn't sound super bad so I am feeling a bit better. Thanks again!!

Update #2 new
      #238178 - 01/13/06 05:42 AM
Angela E.

I went to my appointment yesterday. I gave a piece of my mind to the doctor and let her know I was not happy with the nurse. She understood and told me she would talk to her. Then she told me my news. I do have the MTHFR gene mutation that can cause clots. Which would explain the why I lost the babies so early in my pregnancy. Basically the blood thickens and cuts off supply to the baby and the baby has a stroke. Wonderful huh? But the good news is that it is treatable with B6, B12, and extra folic acid plus a baby aspirin a day. So I have started on that.

Well that wasn't the only thing that came back positive. My Lupus screening came back positive. So I have to have further testing done to figure that out. I go to see my hematologist in a few weeks. It doesn't mean I have Lupus because #1 I don't display any syptoms of someone with this condition. Also I have read that some tests come back with false positives or that some people just have the antibodies in there body but will never have Lupus. Either way it is not what I wanted to hear. It also means that I will be at a higher risk for pregnancy if I do have Lupus.

So please say a few prayers , think some good thoughts or whatever for me in the next few weeks. I will be gone for the weekend for some R&R with hubby. I sure need it.

*HUGS* and happy thoughts! new
      #238180 - 01/13/06 06:08 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

You're in my thoughts, Angela, and here if you need anything! Let us know what the hematologist says!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Prayers for Angela.... new
      #238184 - 01/13/06 06:28 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I hope this weekend is relaxing for you. I'm not sure what kind of lupus you got tested for, but my mom has it and basically displays no symptoms. She gets treated for it and is fine. As for the clotting, while it's not the greatest news, it's probably good to find out WHY you're having problems, especially if it's treatable. I have lots of hope for you, I think you'll be ok!

--------------------

Re: Update #2 new
      #238190 - 01/13/06 06:49 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

{{{hugs}}}

I've put Michelle in touch with a few people that have connective tissue diseases (CTDs) - of which Lupus is one. I could do the same for you if you want...?

I guess you had a positive ANA test huh? Do you know what pattern the spread was in? There's only one kind that points ONLY to Lupus, so it could well "just" be the first sign of UCTD (undifferentiated CTD) which is often the percursor to a specific CTD. And yup, false positives are possible and don't neccesarily mean anything. DO you know what the titre was (eg: 1:640)? Apparently doctors and labs vary as to what they call a positive result! Typical, huh?

To be honest, if you going to have CTD problems with TTC, getting the clotting problem is GOOD, b/c it's so easy to treat. So once you're being treated, TTC should cause no problems. They'll monitor you more closely with a CTD, but having a baby with a CTD is NO problem.

Let me know if you want more info. I've learnt alot about CTDs and TTC from the forums on www.butyoudontlooksick.com

*HUG* new
      #238191 - 01/13/06 06:50 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

prayers heading your way

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Hugs for Angela new
      #238200 - 01/13/06 07:06 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Well, I'm sorry that something is physically wrong...but, I too am hopeful for you. It sounds like it is treatable and that will solve the problem of why you were were having miscarrages so early.

I know it's doesn't seem like good news to hear this stuff...and it's not good...but try and look at it like an answer with a solution.

Keep us updated, Angela.

Hugs, love and prayers. Try and enjoy your weekend with your hubby.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Answering for Angela new
      #238210 - 01/13/06 07:43 AM
michele

Linz, I spoke with her on the phone yesterday and she said her ANA came back speckled?? I've never heard that term used with ana before, do you know what it means. Neither Angela or I knew. I know she is going away with hubby this weekend and I'm not sure if she already left.

--------------------

Oh good! new
      #238217 - 01/13/06 08:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Here's medicinenet on ANA patterns...

Quote:

ANAs present different "patterns" depending on the staining of the cell nucleus in the laboratory: homogeneous or diffuse; speckled; nucleolar; and peripheral or rim. While these patterns are not specific for any one illness, certain illnesses can more frequently be associated with one pattern or another. The patterns then can sometimes give the doctor further clues as to types of illnesses to look for in evaluating a patient... The speckled pattern is seen in many conditions and in persons who do not have any autoimmune disease .

So that's good. Doesn't neccesarily mean a thing. Medicinenet also says...

Quote:

ANAs can be found in approximately 5% of the normal population, usually in low titers (low levels). These persons usually have no disease. Titers of lower than 1:80 are less likely to be significant. (ANA titers of less than or equal to 1:40 are considered negative). Ultimately, the ANA result must be interpreted in the specific context of an individual patient's symptoms and other test results. It may or may not be significant in a given individual.

ANAs can also be produced by things as simple as infections. So hopefully Angela's fine.

Re: Oh good! new
      #238218 - 01/13/06 08:16 AM
Angela E.

You guys are the best! Thanks for your support! I am just fifnishing a few things at work and getting ready to leave. Linz thank you for that info! It makes me feel a bit better! I will be gone until Sunday night so I'll talk to you all then. Thanks again for you hugs and prayers!!!

Re: Have a great time!!! -nt- new
      #238248 - 01/13/06 10:26 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

just anecdotal evidence new
      #238422 - 01/13/06 10:01 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

My sister has a friend who had several miscarriages until they figured out she had a clotting disorder. She started taking a baby aspirin a day and is about a month away from her due date!

My mom has had a couple of positive tests for lupus over the years, but displays absolutely no symptoms.

I hope you have a fantastic trip with hubby!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: Update #2 new
      #238466 - 01/14/06 09:50 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Sorry to hear about all this ... but at least you know what's wrong, huh? After what I've been through, I think it's much better to KNOW, even if what you know ends up being worse than what you suspected.

Don't worry too much about the lupus test yet, especially since you don't have any symptoms -- I've also heard about frequent false positives. I know, I know, easier said to done.

Hope your weekend with your husband is fantastic, you definitely deserve it!!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

I have a MTHFR double mutation new
      #238777 - 01/15/06 11:52 PM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

My doctor called me my first week of classes last semester to let me know this wonderful news. It didn't bother me too much until I got engaged. At that point, I realized I am actually well on my way to having kids. I am taking vitamins right now and I have to have my homosystine level checked every once in a while. My hemotologist says that so long as that level is normal, my babies shouldn't have any problems. I hope that everything works out for you!

Teresa

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 264 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3787

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review