All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
did you have ibs as a kid?
      #236572 - 01/07/06 07:09 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I think my childhood experiences with ibs attacks are a big part of my various freak-outs when it comes to getting sick. Have any of you had this life-long? I remember little problems in kindergarten! (I didn't like and refused to use their little toilets and ended up very c !) Also remember getting d everytime we visited my aunt and uncle who I didn't like. Also had bigger issues, the biggest - a stomach virus that left me hospitalized for 2 weeks and out of school for 2 months when I was 11. (Turned out I had an ulcer). High school, ugh! Socializing was kind of miserable - rock concerts were something to survive while my friends had a great time. And a colonoscopy at age 15 with no anesthetic didn't do me any good!
I'm just curious are there any others with similar long term problems?

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: did you have ibs as a kid? new
      #236575 - 01/07/06 07:36 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

To be honest, I don't know if I did or not, but I do remember various instances of not quite making it to the bathroom or just barely making it.

The first half of high school, I rode the bus & don't remember having any problems. But for the second half, we'd moved and I walked to school. It was a short block, but I do remember unlocking the door and then just throwing down everything so I could run to the bathroom. I did indeed HATE that half of high school, so maybe it was stress.

And I never could drink coffee in the morning. It was one of those things where I was fine one second, and the next, I had to bolt for the bathroom. I was fine with it later in the day.

I think I may have had IBS for quite awhile, it just never flared that bad very often.

Hmm, new
      #236592 - 01/07/06 10:05 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

well, I wasn't diagnosed with IBS till last spring, but I've definitely had digestive problems since way back.
I've had lactose intolerance for at least a decade for sure..

My mom just told me it was normal to go three days between poops. I remember being in the nurse's room for severely painful gas as young as age 8, and in Girl Guides, had a stomach ache I was sure would kill me.

I was also terrified of pooping in public toilets. Now that I'm much more often D, I ahve no choice, LOL, but in Disneyland, I was so C and so terrified to poop that I held it for an hour waiting for the room to clear so I could do my "dirty deed" alone. I'll never forget how stressed I was that day, and how nauseated. Hmm, maybe it wasn't the rides after all.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

oh yeah new
      #236594 - 01/07/06 10:20 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I wasn't "officially" diagnosed until last summer, but I've definitely had IBS since I was 12, maybe even a little earlier. I can't blame that on my being-sick freakouts, though, because I can also remember having anxiety problems, and ones specifically related to panic over being sick, as young as 7 or 8. I think in my case, the anxiety came first.

Mine started when I was 19.~nt~ new
      #236605 - 01/08/06 05:20 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#236614 - 01/08/06 07:07 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

yes I did, I was diagnosed when I was around 21 by a Dr who didn't give me much information and I didn't really follow through with anything because I was in University. I saw a great gastro about 2-3 years ago who really helped me and confirmed my diagnoses. I am 26 now. When I was 18 I was diagnosed with a Hital Hernia and GERD when I couldn't eat or keep any food down for 2 weeks. I have always had problems with my digestive system. I would sit on the toilet when I was really little and cry because I had to go but couldn't. I remember my parents giving me suppositories. I also remember family road trips and having to turn around halfway and go back home because I was too sick or in too much pain for us to keep going.
Oh the fun!!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#236618 - 01/08/06 07:30 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I don't think that I had IBS formally, and I wasn't diagnosed, but there were definite signs..

In elementary school I would be scared to go the bathroom in school and other public places and hold it all day long until I got home. Hah... cruel jokes on me now, considering i've hit almost every public bathrooom in town nowadays.

Also, when I was younger I remember sometimes not going for 5 or 6 days at a time, but it never hurt, or made me feel gassy or bloated.

When I turned about 15 though, I would get D occassionally. I remember once having to go on the field hockey bus home from a game, and basically crying the entire way home while I held it. I was formally diagnosed senior year.. or maybe freshman year of college, because by the end of high school I had D a lot more regularly.

--------------------

Four or five! (kindy for me too!) new
      #236619 - 01/08/06 07:32 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Got mine in kindy too Dan! I was skipped a grade cause I was soooo smart (right!) and then when I didn't learn how to read soon enough...I didn't get love/caring. I got told I was lazy and not trying hard enough (turns out I have SEVEN LD's and ADD and bipolar and anxiety...I had a LOT going on!) So yeah...been C with horrid bouts of D(They always cleaned me out) since age 4 or 5!

Then I had a doc in childhood tell me if I didn't take fibercon and eat my fiber I'd end up with tummy cancer one day.

Grrrrrrr!

So yes...been with me as long as I cqan recall (and yep it runs in my fam...mom has it and her biological dad had some stomahc probs too) Does anyone in your fam have this Dan?
!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Yep! As far back as 1st Grade! new
      #236633 - 01/08/06 08:56 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Sister Donna Jean was my first grade teacher and boy was she mean. I had to go to the bathroom real bad and she wouldn't let me go and I ended up going in my pants! I will never forget that day. SHE'S probably the reason for my IBS!

Anyway, I ALWAYS had some kind of stomach issue growing up. Always had stomach pains. I think I missed a lot of school because of it. I wasn't actually diagnosed with IBS though until I was 21 which was 17 years ago. I'm sure I've had it all along though. Both my sister and my mom have/had it. My mom claims hers got better with menopause so there is hope for me someday

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Mine started when I was 17... new
      #236638 - 01/08/06 09:32 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

following a GI infection.

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (01/08/06 10:46 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1515 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9526

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review