All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Mine started as a senior in high school new
      #236649 - 01/08/06 10:01 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

About a month into school. Threw up twice one morning on the bus ride into school, and was so nauseous the next two weeks, could barely eat. Doctor just said it was a virus and to take OTC nausea meds. Never was the same after that.

Didn't go to the doctor about it again until I was a sophomore in college, and I started having problems with dairy products. Then got an IBS diagnosis with no tests other than a few blood tests done. Got the full work up done a year later though when things got bad again, then found this site, and am able to manage it without meds (other than Acacia and peppermint caps).

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Same as a lot of others new
      #236650 - 01/08/06 10:08 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

It wasn't uncommon for me to have sporadic tummy issues. The first real IBS "attack" that I can remember, though, happened when I was fifteen or sixteen. I can also remember lots of urgency starting at about that same age when I was nervous for competitions.

I wasn't diagnosed until about ten years later, when the D episodes became much more frequent and not obviously connected to something anxiety-producing.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: did you have ibs as a kid? new
      #236655 - 01/08/06 10:45 AM
dan the redneck man

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Houghton; MI

now that I look back, I relize I've had it all my life. What kicked it into over drive was one day my junior year in high school the outside temp was up near 104 and we were in school with no air. I'd always been sensitive to heat and that did me in. I still can't stand summer, but oddly enough, saunas seem to help; i stay in there for about 15 minutes and then go jump into the pool and I feel much better. Maybe because I'm glad to get out of the heat!
I to had the colonoscopy without anestisia, I think the barium enema x-ray was worse. I was cramping so bad that I had a death grip on the sides of the x-ray table and started bending the table up. The doctor started flipping out and an x-ray tech gave me a folded up towel to squeeze, I ended up ripping it in half. Thats when they finally got the idea to sedate me.

Good to know new
      #236681 - 01/08/06 01:32 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

i'm not alone in the fear of public pooping!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

barium new
      #236683 - 01/08/06 01:37 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

that was absolute torture for me too, Dan. I had mine two days after a Norwalk Virus had cleaned me out-then the prep cleaned me out again, then the alien probe...it was horrid. The thing looked like a CHEESE grater! On a senstive little intestine and bum? IT was honeslty the worst thing I've been through, and I spent 40 hours in labour with my darlin 3 year old.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

You're def not alone... new
      #236734 - 01/08/06 04:29 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am always afraid of passing gas and someone hearing...or them figuring out if I'm C or D....

It's awful! Sorry tmi...but I figure we all get it here....

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: (for Ruchie) new
      #236735 - 01/08/06 04:33 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Hey another kindy! Yeah my dad, and his mother though neither was diagnosed formally. My father just had his first colonoscopy at age 64 which found no problems. My first cousin on my dad's side has crohns. So there are definitely a lot of gut issues on that side of the family.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Re: barium new
      #236737 - 01/08/06 04:40 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Ugh I had the lower gi with barrium when i was 11 in the hospital. It was absolutely awful. I kept telling them I absolutely couldn't hhold all that barrium in anymore and they kept saying one more minute. Finally I yelled that I couldn't do it anymore, they didn't respond and I let it out all over the exam table!!! I had no choice - and was mortified. To top it off, the x ray technician acted really angry with me as if it were my fault. Wish I'd been confident enough around adults back then to let him know what an a**h*le he was!!!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

They do say it's genetic... new
      #236739 - 01/08/06 04:41 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Or at least that there is a genetic compenent.

Interesting....thanks for sharing!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: They do say it's genetic... new
      #236751 - 01/08/06 05:09 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My sister has IBS. I have IBS. My Dad has had "stomach problems" for many years which I'm betting is undiagnosed IBS. And I believe his mom also had problems. My Mom pretty much has a cast-iron stomach...so at least we know what side of the family it comes from.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1232 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9958

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review