All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Having the worst attack - please hug!
      #233755 - 12/25/05 08:07 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Oh I had the kind of experience we all dread - an ibs-d attack that came on after 1/2 hour in the car, with 3 hours of driving to go to travel home. Also I wasn't driving so I had to have my brother in law pull over at every reststop on the nj turnpike. Oh...I feel so nauseous still, its my worst nightmare. I am growing more emetaphobic by the day.
I should have seen it coming, it was a tense trip to my in-laws, it always is. And theyr'e korean, and I can't eat almost anything my MIL cooks. So I always pick at my food self-consciously while my father i.l. watches my plate and comments in korean words to the effect that "why doesn't dan eat anything.?" Then he begins counseling me on how to cure my stomach. He's sort of an armchair herbalist.
So I ate a plate of rice, beans, and some tofu which I didn't like, and a couple bites of a fried- with little oil by my wife - pancake with scallions. I really ate so little this weekend, maybe being empty is part of the problem.
Ugh! I took bentyl 3 hours ago I think I'm going take another dose a little sooner than 4 hours.
Oh the other thing is that they're devout christians to the exclusion of all other religions, and I'm Jewish, so since it was Chanuka and Christmas today, I brought my menorah to their house, but my wife asked me to light it in the bedroom with her and our daughter, with the door closed. I'm not even religious, but i like the rituals, and this was our daughters 1st chanuka/christmas. So I just felt so frustrated having to hide my traditions while my wife's family certainly doesn't hide theirs - they've even tried to pressure me to convert to christianity.... Oh now I'm really ranting, but getting it out is making me feel a bit better. Its often like this, as if my stomach can't handle the amount of emotions I'm feeling.
I know I don't post much, but I'm feeling so down and it'd be great to hear from those of you on the boards this evening.. Thanks everyone.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Having the worst attack - please hug! new
      #233758 - 12/25/05 08:30 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Sorry to hear about your holiday. Hopefully you are home safe and sound...where you can baby your tummy. At least the day is over.

Holidays are very difficult for us IBSers since so much revolves around food...and most family don't understand why we can't eat their food. They take it as an insult. It's so hard to try and keep explaing why we can't eat dairy, fat, fried, gravies, etc....

Hey, did you ever eat that bagel?

Hugs...and lets hope for a better Monday!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Hugs! new
      #233759 - 12/25/05 08:30 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Holidays often have their tags, their baggage. It's over now.

Hugs.

Kate.

#233761 - 12/25/05 08:34 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

THANK YOU BOTH! Ugh, yes this is clearly my holiday stress meltdown. I usually hold it together until a little bit after all of the visits are done with and often have an attack from the stress. This was unexpected as it began on the way home. I almost always can convince myself to not get sick in those kind of situations but not this time. dan
ps to augie still no bagel, but I did think about it. someday soon....

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#233764 - 12/25/05 08:56 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Dan, I hate that you had such a rotten trip home. It is harder for me if someone else is driving that I have to keep asking to stop at the rest stops. Then the anxiety just brings on more D... Hope you feel better now that you are home.

I have an 18 yr. old grandson who is converting to Judaism. We are all trying to support him in any way we can. We know very little about the Jewish faith but we will be learning as he is. I think it will be a blessing to your daughter to know there are lots of ways out in the world to honor God.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#233765 - 12/25/05 09:35 PM
junevarn

Reged: 12/14/04

Major hugs to you my dear. There is nothing worse than having attacks when away from home.

A year ago August before I knew about my gluten intolerance, the 4 infections I had and of the IBS, I went on a cruise to Alaska with my husband. I got deathly ill three times, probably from some grease in the food they prepared. I threw up and had diarrhea for six hours. The last morning instead of my usual oatmeal I ordered a cheese omelette and I became very ill. We had to leave the ship by 10 am. We were the last people off because I was so ill. My heart was going a mile per minute as well and I had supreme anxiety and leg tremors. I sat in the boat terminal next to the bathroom. I took Ativan and Phenergan for nausea and still felt awful and like I was going to pass out. It was horrible! I never want to go through that again. My husband gained six pounds and I lost six pounds in a week!

This summer I am going on a cruise with a girlfriend and am bringing a lot of snacks. I am going to be very careful about what I eat.

I really feel for you!
Sincerely,
June

P.S.Maybe next time you can bring your own food. I brought my own to Thanksgiving at a friends house. They know me and set a plain potato and veggies aside for me before they add sauce. I also brought my own food to a Christmas potluck and that was the only thing I ate! JUne

Dan as another Jew married to a Christian... new
      #233772 - 12/26/05 05:31 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Bill doesn't practice but hasn't converted either.. at home we practice Judaism, but his family is into Christianity and his grandmother when she was alive never tried to be accomodating at all.. his Aunt who hosts his dads side for holidays still isn't... and his stepdad tries.. but caused a big attack for me a few weeks ago.. I'm dreading Tues night.. he promised me a plain chicken breast and a plain baked potato this time... that should work.. but I may pack food in the car just in case he forgets!

I have been open with them- we are lighting a hanukiah Tues night despite my SIL's disagreement- his stepdad is good with that and thats when they are doing the family gift exchange... I am going to bring one and candles and matches with me. On the other hand, I am not taking dreidles at Steves request this year- my nephews are out of control enough he is afraid they will just throw them around!

I've been with Bill for more then 10 years and even before we had a Jewish wedding 5 years ago next month I stood up for myself. My FIL and his side are NOT understanding, but thankfully he spends the winter down south, and doesn't come north, and we just mail gifts to him and get Christmas cards and gifts from him... we won't see him until April. And I try to avoid meals at his house unless I'm cooking (which because he is single I can sometimes get away with). We often meet him at a restaurant I know is safe. It's actually my family thats harder to deal with because mom has Crohns and tries to assume the diet that works for her will work for me and then gripes when I won't eat something because I know it is a trigger for me!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: I feel your pain...... new
      #233782 - 12/26/05 07:37 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad day....... I can empathize. I am very afraid of throwing up and I was very nauseated all day, yesterday, too. I had a couple of panic attacks, laid down, couldn't sleep, kept getting up to take more Pepto!!!

It was probably just the stress of the whole ordeal......I don't think than ANYONE should have to hide their rituals...why?? What's the point??? This country is no longer the "melting pot". There are soo many different races and religions here now that it's being called the "salad bowl" now, as they taught it to me in my healthcare class. It's important to recognize that not everyone in the US is the same race and religion and it must be respected.

Anyway, sorry about that.....I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in your pain and agony......and you know what?? It's all over!! Now you can just take the next 11 months to chill out, try to relax and get your tummy back in order. I am!

Take Care!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#233830 - 12/26/05 02:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I just want to say that I am SOOOOO sorry you had to go through all of this! I'm soooo sorry you feel rotten and have such a difficult time with your in-laws.

How do you feel now? Did venting here help? I hope so!!!

It's def. difficult when diff. religions mix sometimes. Even diff. cultures can be tough!! So I know how you feel (sounds like we all do!) (My hubby converted to Judaism and some of his fam are religious Christians!! So I can def relate. Most them are very accepting thank G-d but there are def. challenges. If we can help in any way, let us know.)

Take care of that tummy of yours and have Chag Sameach!

P.S. If you'd like a safe recipe for Latkas let me know and I'll post it on the recipe boards.

Take care!!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#233831 - 12/26/05 02:20 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i'm sorry you had to go through that. i have a fear of long car rides, and being away from home, but i do it anyway. i realized that it is an irrational fear for the most part, but it CAN happen, so i always carry immodium everywhere i go, it's my safety net. if i get d, most people are understnading, and sympathetic, but it's still embarassing. we went to my to be sister-in-law's house last night, and it's an hour and half drive to get there...so i get real nervous, even if we go to someones' house 15 min away, most of the tiem i'll take an immodium just in case, to top it off yesterday, i had a bite of a pickle that has hfcs in it, and freaked out id get sick.

i'm sorry it happened to you yesterday, we can all empathize though@!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10669

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review