All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
So... new
      #233277 - 12/22/05 08:48 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

what's wrong with people "knowing" you're there? I mean, this is the place to talk about IBS and IBS-related issues. Unless you just don't feel comfortable talking about it, I guess. I do know that I've been helped by a LOT of posts that were initiated and replied to by other people. I was only reading, not participating, but I did benefit. And that's the kind of thing that I would worry about missing out on with PMs. But, of course, if you don't want your issues to become public, that's totally your call. I think a lot of us here are paranoid about being "found out" by people we know. If I knew that someone I knew was reading my posts (besides people like my husband or family), I would probably die of embarrassment and then go back and delete most of my posts.

Anyway, I missed the last bout of posts where you had ended up leaving (Heather had deleted everything by the time I read the boards) but was told by someone else later on. I did and do miss your posts. And, seeing as how you probably have NO idea who I am, I'm one of those "anonymous" faces that would miss out on people like you choosing to participate in the boards via PMs instead of the public boards. Obviously that would be MY problem, not yours, but I would really hate to have that become widespread for a lot of people.

In short -- I am selfish!!!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

agreed, and ... new
      #233278 - 12/22/05 08:49 AM
jen1013

I think when people have issues with the "feel" of the board, what they really have issues with are certain people -- or maybe not even certain people as much as those certain people's viewpoints. There are a lot of us here, and we aren't required to like each other, so I will freely admit there are some people here I don't care for. I just basically skip over the majority of their posts. Also, if you (a generic "you", not a specific "you") didn't read any of the "inflammatory" threads that come up every now and then, would you feel the same way? I mean, think about it, when you post about how you feel horrible because you've just had a bad attack, everyone who replies is always very supportive. I've never seen anyone reply by saying, "You probably brought it on yourself by eating too many Christmas cookies. Suck it up and go to work."

When you get a bunch of people together like this, there are bound to be personality conflicts. But that's a part of life, and I guess everyone has to decide for himself when it reaches a point where the people on your "ugh" list seem to be overwhelming the place. There's an awful lot of people who "leave" and then end up coming back, though, so we can't be too awful.

(I "left", too, when I decided I should take a break from the boards after my GI basically said my symptoms were psychosomatic. I think I actually stopped reading the boards for maybe two days, and then started doing a quick skim, and then went into mostly-lurking-mode. I don't know exactly why I can't stay away. Because I have no life, I guess.)

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Chinagrl! new
      #233291 - 12/22/05 09:34 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I don't know if you remember me, I used to go by "Maria!Maria!", but I just wanted to say "hi" and let you know that I've missed your presence on the boards. (I haven't been around much lately, mostly reading the posts, and then doing other things. Busy, you know. ) I hope you're doing well.

I don't hang out in the LR too much, so I can't really speak for the dynamics of the community.

Anyway, forgive me, but I'm going to switch subjects for a moment. I remember you said once that you enjoyed reading Bitch Magazine, so I thought you'd like to know that the independent distributor of magazines like Bitch and Punk Planet recently admitted to having $ problems. I don't know how this will affect those magazines. It would be crappy if we were to lose these great, independent resources.

Silly.... new
      #233292 - 12/22/05 09:35 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I have a life, but I can't stay away from the boards either!! And I WISH someone would tell me to STOP eating so many cookies!

But I agree overall with your posts. I think some people who aren't happy with the boards, are really just not happy with certain posters. It would be great if everyone could just kind of avoid those posts and stay on the boards to communicate with everyone. heck, their posts may be helping people they aren't even aware of (lurkers).
I, for one, firmly decided on getting a labradoodle, after reading about them here. Kind of unexpected result from the boards, but so helpful!

--------------------

magazines... new
      #233423 - 12/22/05 03:59 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Oh no that's terrible! I had noticed an increase in letters from them asking for more money, but haven't had it to send there lately (frankly my charity dollars have gone to various schools, medical organizations, and those poor animals caught in Katrina before a magazine. Even though I love it). Huh. Maybe I'll have to divert some of the birthday money I have coming soon to support them.

Thanks for the heads up!

Re: So... new
      #233427 - 12/22/05 04:07 PM
chinagrl

Thank you for saying this, and I will have to mull it over.

Honestly, I understand what you all were saying about avoiding posts by certain people or certain topics or whatever. But... well, after writing this a thousand different ways, I can't figure out how to say how I feel without starting anything stupid up again (not my intention.) All I can say is, I was raised to believe that if you ignore hatred or intolerance of those different than you, then you are condoning it. I refuse to stay silent and condone it, but I know that's the easiest way to peace. So I know the easiest way to peace is no chinagrl! I hope that makes sense.

Re: I agree Ginger! Very well put! -nt- new
      #233444 - 12/22/05 05:04 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#233479 - 12/22/05 09:08 PM
jen1013

Hmmm. I guess I'm at a disadvantage here because I didn't read the last spate of posts that made you leave the boards, so I have no idea what you mean. (I don't want any explanations on this -- it sounds like all of that is better off left deleted the way Heather left it.) I have seen a lot of posts that conflict with my own personal code, but I can't think of anything that has struck me as complete flat-out wrong. And that's why we're supposed to stay away from debates, I guess, so that we don't reveal our evil dark sides and we can all be happy.

Anyway, I respect where you're coming from, but I do wish you would end up deciding to stick around. Weren't you and Ginger and I all going to be the "future financially responsible moms" or whatever when we all started to TTC in 2006??

--------------------
jen

#233482 - 12/22/05 09:36 PM
chinagrl

Ah, future financially responsible moms! Yep... how's that coming for you? We're going to start trying for our baby on January 15th when my last packet of pills is done. We even have names. I'm excited, when I'm not totally and completely freaked out.

#233570 - 12/23/05 12:56 PM
jen1013

Lucky you! So you're trying right away after you finish off the pill? No adjust time or anything? What names are you thinking of?

My story is kind of long and complicated. Basically we won't be starting TTC until March/April. I was recently diagnosed w/ endometriosis. I had a surgery a couple weeks ago and will need another one around February timeframe to repair a hole that is either in or near my uterus (I was still pretty doped up when the gyno told me this so I'm not sure about this one). After I've recovered from that then I should be allowed to start trying! Endo carries a high risk of infertility, but I'm pretty optimistic. I guess if it takes me three years to conceive that's all the more financially secure my family will be, right??

--------------------
jen

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4465 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31052

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review