All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
to all with fibro....
      #231541 - 12/14/05 11:54 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

How were you diagnosed? I think I may have it too. I'm tired all the time...and my body hurst a lot. I get tingley/numb feet and hands. My legs, back, and arms hurt a lot as well. Oh, and my hips hurt like crazy at night, especially when I'm trying to sleep.

Any suggestions for me? What should I do? I have a 5 mo old baby...so I know that the tiredness is partly to do with that. And the hurting arms and back could be from holding her a lot! She's a big girl...17 lbs!

OK, Thanks for any help you can give!

HUGS!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

My fibro saga... new
      #231546 - 12/14/05 12:13 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I went to student health, they couldn't figure it out, so they sent me to a rheumatologist. The rheumatologist didn't even know the proper diagnosis criteria for fibro (it's widespread pain in all 4 quadrants of the body, above and below the waist, left and right sides, for at least 3 months, and at least 11 of 18 tenderpoints), so I stopped seeing them. I ended up going to the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center up in King of Prussia ( web page ), and the doc there did the tenderpoint thing, and found that I had 16 of the 18. I see the doc there now every month. She's also the one who figured out I have hypothyroidism and a problem with my adrenal glands (she ran a ton of blood tests). If you have one of them in your area, they're not cheap (don't take insurance), but worth it for the tests and answers!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: My fibro saga... new
      #231572 - 12/14/05 01:15 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I was finally sent to a rhumatologist (sp??) He did a blood test called an ANA screen and mine was slightly elavated but even if it isn't you can still have fibro. The dr asked me LOTS of questions and pushed on areas of my body. I think there are like 21 "trigger" points for fibro and for most dr's you need to have like 11 or something of the trigger points. I understand fibro is more a diagnosis of exclusion, kinda like ibs! I don't think there is a definite test they can do that comes back positive for fibro!

I can relate to the hip pain, mine is awful. I've been to pt and had shots and everything. And yes, sleeping on either side really makes it worse. Stretching is important. If need be, trying sleeping on your back with a pillow under your knees. I usually will lay in bed and watch tv that way but usually can't fall asleep that way!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#231604 - 12/14/05 02:19 PM
StephS

Thanks girls, I think I'll try and get in with my dr and see what I need to do! I don't know if there is much they can do with fibro....kinda like IBS....just have to figure it out on your own!!! LOL

--------------------

Re: to all with fibro.... new
      #231607 - 12/14/05 02:26 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

17 lbs ! What are you feeding that girl? You must have some good milk. Meike was 17 lbs at 4 months. It was kind of weird since she was only 10 lbs at 2 months. She liked the formula better lol. Zoe didn't start gaining weight until she started drinking whole milk. If Maddie didn't do so well nursing I would think there was something wrong with my milk lol.

I hope you get answers soon. I know my hips hurt like crazy after I had Meike but that was from her horrible birth. I still have trouble almost 6 years later.

#231610 - 12/14/05 02:31 PM
michele

I'm not sure there is a lot they can do either. Not sleeping well is also a symptom so they can treat that with sleeping pills and some of the tricylic anti-depressants are supposed to help. My dr also mention flexeral I believe it was to help with muscle discomfort and sometime I think they use steriods. I'm new to the fibro club and didn't research too much of the treatment because of the pregnancy.

--------------------

There are things to help.... new
      #231716 - 12/15/05 12:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...but just no treatments designed for it. Elavil can help with the sleep problems and pain. Taking something like Ambien may help also. Tylenol all the time is pretty nifty - just don't have more than 4g in 24 hours ever. And codeine can help for stronger pains! A diet for hypoglycaemia can also be very helpful...even just kinda following the diet guidelines helps.

I've just recently made a list of tests that can be helpful in working out if you have Fibro or one of the things that has similar symptoms. I'll email it to anyone if they're interested (it's in a Word table so not easy to paste here). Some of them are unlikely to be done (eg. MRIs and spinal tap to test for MS) but alot are just blood tests.

I'd better note here that although I have Fibro on my doc's records, I found out this week that I haven't actually had enough tests to exclude anything, so lord only knows what I've got. Hence the interest in researching tests!

Fibro treatments new
      #231726 - 12/15/05 06:12 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I just did a paper on fibro for my chronobiology class, and did a lot of general research on fibro with scientific papers, so I can outline some of the current treatments and email them to anyone who wants them. Let me know!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Melissa new
      #231773 - 12/15/05 09:18 AM
michele

I'd be interested in hearing what treatments your research turned up. My email is michelebrake@sbcglobal.net. I think all the stress of late has really got things flarred up for me right now. I'm not sure what treatments I would be willing to do until I make a decision about trying again but I'd like to know my options!

Also, thanks so much for the beautiful card! It met a lot to me and Will.

--------------------

Re: Fibro treatments new
      #231785 - 12/15/05 09:47 AM
StephS

Quote:

I just did a paper on fibro for my chronobiology class, and did a lot of general research on fibro with scientific papers, so I can outline some of the current treatments and email them to anyone who wants them. Let me know!

I would like to see that as well! My e-mail is stephhep@gmail.com

Thanks!

--------------------

Thanks girls new
      #231786 - 12/15/05 09:49 AM
StephS

I'm so sick of having all these aches and pains. I really thought after having Hailey all the pains would go away. But nope....they have not. In fact they are getting worse! I'm planning on making a DR appt to check it out. But I'm guessing there is a link between IBS/Fibro and Fibro/Thyroid

Thanks again for your help!

HUGS!

--------------------

Edited by StephS (12/16/05 10:17 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3270 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 881

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review