Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
In trouble at work, worried
      #231125 - 12/12/05 10:36 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey guys,

As you all know, I had a really bad stomach virus or something last week and was unable to even leave the house, let alone go to work. I missed 3 days of work.
Before that, I missed a day when I broke my foot and one other day when I had a bad cold/flu with a bad fever, lost my voice, the whole nine.
So all the days I've had off, I think, have been completely necessary. Maybe I could have gone in when I hurt my foot, but I was in agony and at the time it didn't see like such a big deal. And also, I spoke to my Team Leader about it and she said she understood I had a chronic condition and I could bring a note from my doctor and everything would be fine... but then these last 3 days happened.

So I brought in a note from my doctor, and I thought everything was gonna be okay so I sorta had a big sigh. Then my Team Leader came up to me to "warn me" that we are going to have to have a formal discussion about my attendance. Not only that, another Team Leader, our performance manager AND a union representative have to be in the meeting as well so I have to sit there in front of all of them to talk about my "chronic bowel condition".

The meeting is supposed to be tomorrow, and my stomach is all churny just thinking about it. I feel so embarassed. I am really worried I am going to cry or something awful. My boss mentioned they might have to prolong my probation period and make some other changes, which I am not happy about at all. I mean, it would be miles better than losing my job but I have been waiting for my probation period to END, not to have it made longer and longer so I have no security.

Gaaaaaaaaah!!!!! I am so so nervous. I know I talk about this stuff a lot HERE, but I just hate having to tell other people. Especially people I work with. And I am so worried I'll cry, as I have been somewhat of a wreck lately and don't think I can handle being reprimanded right now.

I so don't want to lose this job, I am so worried.

Thanks for listening, guys!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: In trouble at work, worried new
      #231129 - 12/12/05 10:58 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Don't worry sweetheart! Seriously, I had to do loads of those when I was working in London and they were FINE. Just be honest, let your boss know everything that's been going on - ie. that you've had some really bad luck and it hasn't actually all been the IBS (so there's no reason why you should always be off this much) - and DON'T WORRY. See if you can discuss ways to make it easier for you if you can think of anything and don't worry if you cry.

Good luck.

Thanks Linz new
      #231130 - 12/12/05 11:02 PM
Stephie

Hey Linz,

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I know it isn't something to totally freak out about, but the more I think about it, the more stressed I get and I just can't get myself to forget about it.

It has just come at such a bad time, with the problems I am having in other parts of life and with Adrian's parents here from England visitting right now and..blaah, I just would rather not have to deal with this.
I am so jealous of people who can afford not to work, but I could never do that.. even 3 days a week some weeks when I don't get any extra shifts is really hard financially so.. oy!

Thanks again! How are you doing??
**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Happy to help new
      #231132 - 12/12/05 11:08 PM
Linz

I'm up and down alot at the mo. Out of work (and can't really afford it, but thank G*d for Si's new job!). Yesterday was a bad day...got told by my doc that basically the NHS isn't interested in finding out what's actually wrong with me unless I get really sick or have recurrent miscarriages. Oh yay. God this country sucks sometimes.

Good luck with your meeting...it'll be fine. They have to do these thing to keep track, but as they know you haven't been skiving it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, stomach flu, a broken foot and regular flu in such a short space of time is REALLY bad luck.

Btw, I highly recommend taking Echinacea and 1g vitamin C everyday to ward off the viruses.

Re: Happy to help new
      #231134 - 12/12/05 11:15 PM
Stephie

Bah, bad luck is just what happens to me! I seem to always have a string of bad things following me around, I am starting to just get used to it... well, not really... but you know what I mean.

I'm sorry you are going through a rough time. What do you mean unless you get really sick or miscarry? They won't figure out what is going on with your tummy/fibro or is it something else I've missed? Is there any way you can get help privately or is that just too expensive?
I know how much you hate to be out of work, and how hard it is for you and Si and I totally feel for you.
I really hope your ups and downs turn into a lot more ups than downs! I hope so for me too, but for you too!

I had better get off to bed, gotta get up for work tomorrow and with Adrian's Dad here up at 5 am, shouting and carrying out about how he likes coffee and a detailed summary of how exactly he slept, etc. Yay.

Night night!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#231145 - 12/13/05 03:17 AM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

What does your union contract say re: attendance policy?

I am in HR w/ in a union organization. Let me know if I can help.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Hehe! new
      #231149 - 12/13/05 03:49 AM
Linz

Adrian's Dad sounds like a nightmare first thing in the morning...funny from a distance tho!

Fibro is supposed to be diagnosed by a diagnosis of exclusion (like IBS) and I found out yesterday that I basically haven't had anything excluded and the NHS won't do the tests to exclude the really scary possibles like MS. It's a nightmare. It's like someone being diagnosed with IBS after having no tests apart from 1 stool sample or something.

Here's for more good luck for the both of us!

#231160 - 12/13/05 05:42 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Stephie, be strong. Go in there and DON't LET them intimidate you. Be very firm. Explain that one was a horrible stomach virus which anyone could have caught, etc. As for the IBS, don't mince words. Tell them how horrible attacks are, and that you promise to do everything in your power to make sure you can come to work, there are some days that are completely out of your control. You did not ask for this. Remind them that this is a chronic condition - just like diabetes or heart disease.

Gotta go. My daughter is stripping. She's taken to doing this lately. It's extremely annoying. Especially when she loses the diaper when I'm trying to do something.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#231169 - 12/13/05 06:33 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Stephie, everybody goes to the bathroom. Everybody gets the flu. As for the IBS, I don't see any big deal in discussing it. It's like any other disorder. I am epileptic and never hid it even though I haven't had a seizure in 30 years.
I suggest you either discuss it in the most clinical way you can. Use big medical terms that they won't understand. Either that or tell them like some really crude person. "Hey, I can't help it ... I get the rip roarin' s&its and it hurts like H*LL.... Stinks too."
IBS is nothing to be ashamed of. Go in there and tell 'em like it is.
Good luck.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#231177 - 12/13/05 07:33 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

My sister has it worse Steph. She has epilepsy as well and suffere dher first seizure in years about three weeks ago. Her boss makes certain comments about her epilepsy and the fact he didn't like her taking sick days because she was in teh hospital for that! he has said other stuff too.To use a nice word, he is a jerk, and I feel like going down there to have a talk with him. Some people are just a-holes. Just be honest with them, there is nothing to be embarrassed about. Everyone here knows about my IBS!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 330 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1358

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review