All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to IBS
      #23085 - 10/10/03 04:42 PM
op

Reged: 10/10/03

I am a 67 yr old male and have had problems over the years with Diverticulits, never to the point of being willing to have a resection done.
Started on the Atkins diet in June, which means a lot of fat and red meat. Lost 20 lbs and am at my ideal weight.
Looking at the "trigger foods" here it seems that almost everything that I am eating is a trigger. It looks to me as if the ideal diet for IBS would be a low fat-high carb diet.
Been having an upset stomach, cramps, gas, diarea for the past few weeks. When something new happens, I start doing research, which has brought me here.
The main things that I am not to eat because of the diverticulitis would be nuts, pop corn and most foods with seeds.
After reaching my ideal weight on Atkins, I am allowed more cards, but what is needed is a diet on which I can maintain my weight and not irritate the stomach.

Am I heading in the right direction here??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to IBS new
      #23178 - 10/12/03 12:40 PM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Hi op,

My mum has just been diagnosed with diverticulitis,she is 66,shes been through lots of test etc before they decided upon this,although her gp said if she was 20 years younger then she would hve said it was IBS.
Anyway, as an IBS sufferer myself,i have given her lots of advice that i have learnt from heathers book,which if you don't have then you will find information about on this site(sorry don't know how to do the link!).She has found this to be extremley useful,and so i do think that you are heading in the right direction,but that is only from what i have experienced through my mum.Perhaps others may have more information for you.
If you are looking for a diet that maintains your weight and gives you a pain free stomach....then you have found it!!

--------------------
Morven

Re: New to IBS new
      #23257 - 10/13/03 12:52 PM
mlambers

Reged: 09/18/03
Loc: MI

Hi OP,
I also have IBS-D and I have to agree with you. I know doctors say elimination diet is not the best thing to do...but I have never felt better. Click on my name and see my profile. There is a list of just about everything that I do not eat. I eat lots of ham and turkey sandwiches, pasta, chicken, chicken, chicken, pork, chicken, and chicken. I know Heather says it is ok to spice things up, but I have to stay away from spicy foods too. Hope this helps.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1370

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review