All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Migraine help?
      #229604 - 12/06/05 09:11 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi guys, I was off work yesterday with a terrible migraine caused by jaw pain (TMJ). Any med advice on how to treat a migraine? I was inhaling Tylenol and Exederin to no avail!

Otherwise, I'm pretty good!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Migraine help? new
      #229659 - 12/06/05 12:16 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Tina,

I don't know any specifics, but maybe have a look through some of LauraSue's older posts? I remember she used to post about her migraines a lot, and I think she had a lot of advice for other people who posted about them as well.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I've heard migraines are just the worst! My sister used to get really bad migraines and she said that the only medication that did anything to help at all was Advil Liquigels, but I dunno how nice those would be to your tummy.

I have TMJ as well, so I know how annoying that is!

Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#229666 - 12/06/05 12:24 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi S-S! I'm so sorry you had to go through a migraine; these things are never convienient. I have TMJ too and most of the things I stopped doing to control the TMJ pain worked on the migraine pain too-- a biggie of mine was chewing gum or excessive chewing of food: that always led to a migraine for me! Lack of sleep and too sweet food containing honey or mollasses, and excessive light too caused them for me almost all the time.

BF just started getting them this year. For him they're caused by staying up all night working on the computer (lack of sleep + strobing light). He takes Topamax, and that works pretty well. If he doesn't have it handy (like this weekend when he ran out) he takes benedryl plus either Excedrin migraine or tylenol.

He had a hard time keeping the tylenol down this time around, but the benedryl helped him immensely, letting him sleep off the worst stuff.

HUGS to you!

~nelly~

#229680 - 12/06/05 12:48 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Nelly! Ugh, TMJ is so painful.

I do try to avoid chewing gum, that's definitely a trigger! I bet not getting proper sleep doesn't help me either. I've been very stressed lately so I know that's what caused this one.

I might ask for something stronger than Tylenol and Excedrin next time I'm at my doctor's or dentists.

Thanks.

How are you gal???

#229682 - 12/06/05 12:49 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Steph.

I think those Advil Liquid gels do help. Tommy has those and I know I've used them before and they've worked. I forgot about them.

Yes, Laura Sue used to have a terrible time with migraines.

#229684 - 12/06/05 12:54 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Get to your doc and get rx's for Imitrex and Tylenol with codeine. Those 2 have turned my life around re. migraines.

Email me if you want anymore info...I'll post later. Too upset about the twins atm.

Hey Tina! new
      #229687 - 12/06/05 12:57 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm ok, except for my pants being on fire. I completely lost my Outlook account with all my emails, addresses and contacts last week, so I told BF (my techie) that he was going to wake up one day with a bunch on stamps on his face and writing that said "ABU-DHABI" on him...! Other than that, it's been quiet. I did get a bunch of passive aggressive messages from my mom this morning, the kind where she says, "CALL ME NOW" and just hangs up. She's going back to France in a few days to contest her sister's will and needed my plane ticket stubs to confirm we were at the funeral. I'll just let her handle this. I've done my time already.

Other than that, dog is fine, apartment's fine, car's fine. It snowed here last night, but only 2 inches and it's almost all melted off the roads now. Kodiak is going crazy because he loves the snow, but I can't be bothered to take him for long walks through the woods like BF does. He has a stuffed hedgehog the neighbor gave him, and it's his doll now. He carries it around from room to room and refuses to distroy it. Wonder how long that'll last.

~nelly~

I don't know if this will apply to you.... new
      #229738 - 12/06/05 04:00 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

Over the past year, my sister and I both figured out on our own( I don't talk to her, so this I found out from my mom) that we both had to cut dairy out of our diets, for two different reasons. Mine for IBS, and hers because she found out that she was severly lactose intollerant. We have both suffered from migraines for 20+ years. It wasn't until my mom told me what my sister had figured out about her headaches that I too realized that mine had stopped too. Ironically, our little brother started suffering from severe headaches over the past year. I told him what we had discovered and he tried it, and headaches were gone! I don't know why this happens to us in our family, but cutting out dairy has made a huge difference in our lives. Now, I can tell you, I still occasionally try to have a yogurt( with lactaid I can handle it) but the next day I will have a headache. I don't seem to have a problem with cheese, but ice cream, milk(which I NEVER drink) and yogurt is a recipe for headache or migraine, depending on how much I had the day before, or how many days in a row I ate dairy, for me.

HTH
Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#229753 - 12/06/05 05:01 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Oh Tina! I feel for you. My hubby gets migraines and they are debilitating to him. Honestly, he takes Extra Strength Excedrin. Too many of them! 3 sometimes at a time. He was given a prescription for Cafergot which is a narcotic and he says that the Excedrin works better. You can get Tylenol with Codeine in Canada over the counter can't you? My sister brings back a couple of boxes when she goes to Canada every year. Did you ever try them? Also, she's gotten prescriptions for Darvocet.

Another thing he does sometimes is takes a hot bath in the dark. I know they are just awful to have and I feel for ya! Hoping you get some good advice on how to cope with them.

Take care!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#229776 - 12/06/05 06:50 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Nothing OTC works on mine. I have a prescription for cafergot and that's the only thing that'll touch them. I have to take them with cold medicine or the nausea gets out of control. I tried Imitrex once and it did nothing.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5267

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review