All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A little update on me!
      #226572 - 11/21/05 08:39 PM

Unregistered

So I know I haven't been around a ton but life is busy! This is my last semester of classes and then spring semester is an internship so there's a lot going on as we get to the end here.

I sent my resume to lots of places looking for an internship and I'm still not sure where I'm headed, but at this point it looks like NYC. I really want to do it but I still wonder if that's the most practical decision - but heck I'm 21, it's about time I was a little daring. I am however doubting my ability to handle those brutal winters and then there's the whole finding somewhere to live still situation since I have to start in January. It's just a little overwhelming and I am seriously getting close to having to make a decision. The company that wants me to intern is exactly what I want - an international hospitality interior design firm (restaurants, bars, etc). So I don't know yet but I'm taking a trip up there in the middle of December to check it all out and see if I can really see myself there (assuming still that I find somewhere to live and 10,000 side jobs to help me pay for it all).

I'm glad it's Thanksgiving break now though as I just finished my last big project presentation tonight at 10. After my french lesson tomorrow (yes, while taking a full load of classes and working 3 part time jobs I have found the time to take french lessons with a few older people once a week) It's so much fun though.

IBS wise I really haven't been doing so hot lately for reasons that evade me, but I can't say I let it keep me down and I haven't had to miss any school despite my preferences to stay in bed.

Hope everyone else is doing well (I've poked in from time to time to see what's going on). And have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Brittany new
      #226599 - 11/22/05 05:13 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

It's good to hear from you! Boy, you have a lot on your plate right now!

The internship sounds exciting. I know you are nervous about going to NYC, but my advice is to go for it, girl! You're only young once! I'm afraid if you don't take this opportunity, you will regret it later.

I speak from experience. When I was in college, I could've taken advantage of an opportunity to intern at People magazine, and for some silly reason, I thought of every reason I couldn't do this. Later, when I had 2 babies 13 months apart, a mortgage payment, a spouse with a job that bound us to a certain location, then I realized I had passed up that one time in my life that I was "free" to think only of myself and what I wanted to do. My advice is to do it now, because you may never get this opportunity again.

Let us know how it goes, and please check in with us every once in awhile. We've missed you!

Re: A little update on me! new
      #226644 - 11/22/05 09:12 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

wow busy girl!

sounds like everything is going really well with school though.

I'm pretty upset about school right now considering I just got back at paper and I got a C+, which in grad school is failing. (anything below a B is failing). So i'm sure you can imagine my dissapointment.

--------------------

#226660 - 11/22/05 09:47 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

My vote is move to New York!!!

Haha.. new
      #226698 - 11/22/05 12:11 PM

Unregistered

Somehow I knew you'd think that! It will be quite a change for me but I think it would be a very good opportunity. I'm coming up Dec 15th to check out the place I might work so I'll stop being a tourist for once and see if I can really see myself living there. And then comes the task of finding somewhere to live. So much to think of!

Re: Brittany new
      #226701 - 11/22/05 12:15 PM

Unregistered

That is a convincing story! It's funny, I busted my butt sending these beautiful resume packets with samples of my work and all to tons of firms in NYC and all I could do was hope I'd get one, and now that I have I keep thinking of reasons I shouldn't do it. Funny how that works - maybe I was just hoping to prove I could.

I wish the internship paid though (since we've been advised in this profession to not take one that isn't because there are so many that do pay) but I think the opportunity to work for this company is so worth it.

We'll see how it goes and I'll definitely keep you all informed! I've missed being around as often! Hope you and your family are doing well!

#226702 - 11/22/05 12:20 PM

Unregistered

A C+ what a bummer! You're a smart girl so I'm sure you'll make up for that quickly. Are you ready for vacation? You are just as busy I am! Any new boys in your life?? I defintely have no time for any of that right now - at this point with so many big life decisions to make, I don't need some boy making it tougher to decide. It's all about me!

Stay warm - it's getting quite nippy down here so I'm sure it's quite chilly up that-a-way.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2031 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2500

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review