All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
send good thoughts my way please
      #226368 - 11/20/05 06:24 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I'm flipping out right now. I got really dizzy, then wondered - what if this means I"m getting and sick and going to throw up? (Yes I'm very phobic) Now I'm queasy my stomach is visibly churning, I probably have created the symptoms from the head down but they feel just as real. I'm having trouble breathing, the whole thing. I have xanax for moments of panic, I've taken it once - this summer and it helped, believe it or not I"m scared to take the xanax - scared it will make me sicker somehow. Oh I REALLY wish I could handle this the way most people seem to. My wife doesn't know what to think of me right now, she feels for me, but she doesn't understand these childish fears. Childhood fears is probably more accurate - I've had ibs since age 9 and had some awful experiences. Also in recent years I havne't gotten many stomach bugs - just a few in the past 10 years, but 3 out of 4 or 5 of them landed me in the ER with dehydration...So I begin thinking of that too. My stomach, while churning is also gurgling with each breath - which is something it only seems to do when the problem is ibs vs. a bug or bad food or something.
Oh this is me at my worst, anyone out there?
Dan....

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: send good thoughts my way please new
      #226374 - 11/20/05 06:58 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Dan sweetheart
I completely understand what you are going through - you know I do....
Please don't be unkind to yourself and call your thoughts childish...it doesn't help the situation to berate yourself. You have had some terrible experiences and no wonder you are scared. Its perfectly understandable. Everybody has their 'thing'...this is yours. What I say to myself when I am overcome with the emetaphobia is that firstly...it will pass...this intense period of fear will pass and you will wake up tomorrow morning and feel more calm and better and secondly, whatever happens, you will be ok...you WILL. You can always always call me if you are panicking, if it will help to speak to someone that really gets it on the phone. Feel very free to call me.
I emailed you my number once, I am not sure if you took it down..let me know.
You will be ok.
Love, Dalia XXX

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Oh, do I ever feel for ya new
      #226375 - 11/20/05 06:59 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm seriously, terribly emetophobic. As in, the last time my boyfriend was stomach-sick, I freaked out and hid in my office, with the door closed, for most of the day. I wasn't even the one who wasn't feeling well, but I was totally out of my mind. So I feel for you, I really do.

If you've taken the xanax once and it really helped, it will really help again, not make you sicker. That's my logic, anyway.

If you have some ginger around - candied ginger, ginger candies, even altoids will work - use that to get you over the queasies. It really works! If you don't have any, sipping on a warm herbal tea might do the trick too. People who are prone to heartburn should be careful of it, but I like peppermint tea when I'm feeling the ick.

Oh yeah, and long, deep, slow breaths, inhale and exhale. Shallow breathing will only make the dizziness worse... deep, controlled breaths will calm you.

Hang in there...

Yep, I've been there too new
      #226376 - 11/20/05 07:20 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Dan,

I have so totally been where you are right now, I am sorry you are feeling like this right now.
I know that when I was having a really bad bout of IBS, I started doing that quite a bit.. I got sick once when I went to a certain place, then every time I started to venture near there I started to "remember" and imagine the way I felt and then VOILA, I was feeling it again! And sometimes I would start to laugh because I knew I had invented them in my head, but they wouldn't go away.
Good news is, through the hypno program and some mild anti-depressants (super low dose) I managed to get over a lot of that.
Anyway, point is, I know where you are but it can get better!!
I think it is hard to get other people to understand. When I got the Hypno CDs, my boyfriend listened with me to the "companion CD" and I really do think it made a difference to hear it from someone else that had never met me before. Just an idea!

I agree with Casey, if the xanax helped before I would try to just take a deep breath and take it again. If -- and likely when -- it helps again, you'll have even more confidence to take it earlier the next time this happens.

As for the stomach bug, I think that it probably isn't a stomach bug but just try to make sure you are taking care of yourself to make sure one doesn't come on if you can prevent it. Drink lots of fluids, also to make sure you are well hydrated, and maybe try to eat something ultra safe like some rice or applesauce or something to calm the gurgling.

Good luck, and I really hope you feel better soon!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: OH, yea, me too!!! new
      #226378 - 11/20/05 07:32 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I was like this, this morning!! I just knew I was going to throw up.....

I can't drink peppermint tea because of my reflux and I had taken sooo much pepto that I had to call it quits. It felt like it was making it worse after the 10th pill. I am sooooo afraid of throwing up, I'm like Casey. The last time my husband was stomach-sick, I ran to the living room on the other side of the house and turned the TV up sooo loud, so I couldn't hear anything.....

It's really a struggle for me to live with this kind of digestive condition. To be so afraid of throwing up, yet get nauseated so much. Before IBS, I never had a nausea spell......I never threw up that I can recall......I had stomach pains, but I could take a pepcid AC and it would be all better in no time. Not anymore. Especially now, with my hiatal hernia. I feel like I'm going to throw up most of the day right now. I just ignore it, until the nausea hits me. That's when I panic.....

Good luck! When I get nauseated, I get a cold rag, take Emetrol (anti-nausea stuff from the drug store), and alot of Pepto. Eventually the feeling will pass. I didn't think it was going to this morning, though. It lasted 4 hours. I wanted to die.....

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#226387 - 11/20/05 08:24 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Thank you everyone. I think I'm through the worst of it for tonight - it seems to have passed, adn I'm going to go collapse in bed. Your replies helped so much....Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#226395 - 11/20/05 10:29 PM
RGS

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia

Dude, you should really have a go at the hypno CD's, they are designed to specifically overcome the tricks your mind plays on you, and are great! isn't that right Stephie !
I have just been to Brazil for two weeks eating drinking what i like, hardly taking any fiber, dealing with 20 hour flights, and all with perfectly behaved digestive system, and i credit it all to the hypno !
Try it, do you have anything to lose?

P.S. hi everyone, i have been quiet a while, trust you are all well.
R

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 524 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 897

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review