Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I AM ON THE WAITING LIST!!
      #224928 - 11/14/05 04:39 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi guys,

Like, Michele's "Babies Update" this is my "Boobies Update", hee hee!
I went to go see my second consultation with a surgeon for my breast reduction. After feeling sort of lost after my first consultation, I kept this second one with another surgeon and I was totally blown away by how much more comfortable I felt and how much more time he spent with me and my questions.
He went over all my questions, and drew me diagrams of how exactly the surgery is done. He showed me pictures of his part surgeries, and showed me some pictures of complications (which I thought was a really honest thing to do).. but also assured me that because I am young, not a smoker, etc that those complications are very unlikely.
The best part was that he was able to answer my questions about sizes, which the other surgeon refused to even "ballpark" for me. He said that he would remove 450-550 grams, which is almost double what the other surgeon said. He said that should put me at about a large C cup, which is perfect for me.

The other thing that was interesting is that he talked to me about my other consultation, and the surgeon I saw. He said that other people have come to him after seeing the first surgeon because they don't feel comfortable AND because the other surgeon uses liposuction which means that 1) You have to pay an extra $1000 and 2) the breast cannot be reduced by as much and 3) There is no real definitive research on what the effects of using the lipo on breast tissue is. Some people, for example, think it may lead to cancer later in life. Oy!
He said it did make him almost upset that the other surgeon was asking people who were approved to have the surgery covered paying an extra $1000 for something that isn't necessary and doesn't create as nice of a shape.

Anyway, I feel way better about the surgery now than I did before so I am on the waiting list!! Unfortunately, the waiting list is approx. 18 months so I have a long time to wait on that waiting list!

He did say that I should lose weight before the surgery, but that I should lose and then stay at a weight that I can comfortably stay at long-term. I would LIKE to be at a weight that I would have to lose 35 lbs for, but that is a bit unrealistic. Instead, I will try to get down to about 20 lbs less than I am now, and see how I do from there. And in 14 months, I guess that's not TOO bad....

So I am seeing a personal trainer right now (and have been in agony from the workouts, so I know I am doing something right!) and seeing the herbalist and so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, just wanted to share, I am so excited. Wish it wasn't quite so far off, but it might fly by, who knows?

Thanks for all the support, as always!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Very cool! new
      #224936 - 11/14/05 05:00 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I still wish I could be in the room next to you and add to what little I have! So sad that even my 12 year old daughter makes comments about how much bigger her boobies are than mine!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: I AM ON THE WAITING LIST!! new
      #224941 - 11/14/05 05:06 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Steph, I'm glad you felt so much more comfortable with this doctor. I know you are excited. The time will fly by quickly, and before you know it, you will feel like a new person.

Congrats! new
      #224969 - 11/14/05 06:51 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I bet the 18 months WILL go by fast, and at least you have a long time to reach your weight goal, so you don't have to feel pressured to do extreme methods to lose weight. Seeing a personal trainer is great! I wish I could afford to do that!

--------------------

Personal Training new
      #224981 - 11/14/05 08:10 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there!

Thanks! You know, I was thinking that 18 months was SO LONG, but then I realised... in less than a month, I will have been back in Canada for a year, and it doesn't seem like it has been that long at all, so I guess time really does fly!

As for personal training, I can't afford it either! I am going to this place where you can do it in groups, so it is less expensive. There are 5 people in a group, and it is $30. I'd love to be able to do it like 3 times a week, but that would be crazy expensive, especially for me! Right now I am going to go once a week to get myself a good program and make sure I am doing things properly, then I will do that at my own gym or at home, and go back every like.. 4-6 weeks to get "re-assessed" or whatever.

We'll see how it goes, but I am really excited right now.

Thanks again!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Personal Training new
      #224995 - 11/15/05 01:55 AM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Hey - that's great that everything seems to be working out for you. A friend of my sister's had a similar problem - with the related back issues, nothing will fit properly, etc. She had the surgery done a couple years back, and she said that its the best thing she's ever done.

Good luck!

- Vincent

#225026 - 11/15/05 07:07 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Cool, that's great!

#225046 - 11/15/05 07:57 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Wonderful!! I'm thrilled that this dr treated you so much better and explained things. The right dr makes all the difference, no matter what they are "treating" you for!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#225050 - 11/15/05 08:01 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Good girl. Now can my boobs join you too? I'm currently a full DD and I'm sick of it. I need to lose some weight, I know, but I have always had boobs. I have never liked them.

Good luck with the workouts! Keep us up to date!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Cool! new
      #225051 - 11/15/05 08:06 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

That's awesome you can do it with a group, I never thought of that. I think I will look into personal training at my gym. It's just a park district gym, so not that sophisticated, but also a bit cheaper. And since I'm a member, maybe I can get a discount?
Basically that's what I would like to...just someone to guide me to the right machines and weights to use, and what kind of cardio, cause I've just been making it up as I go along!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 677

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review