Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS Friendly employment
      #224570 - 11/12/05 09:20 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Hi all,

Just need to vent - its 1215am and I'm up with a stomach ache for the 3rd or 4th time this week. I'm a music teacher at a 1-8th grade school - I teach all the grades! - and am beginning to think its time to recognize that its really hard on my body - the stress and the hours are a lot for me. I would love to work from home some of the time, or at least to have semi-flexible hours so there wasn't the need to get on the subway on the mornings when I've got cramps and d.
What do you all do for work? I'm in the brainstorming stage of things just looking for ideas.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS Friendly employment new
      #224580 - 11/13/05 02:18 AM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I'm currently a student, but I used to have an office job for a number of years. I found it to be a perfect match, given that, with the exceptions of meetings, etc., I had free reign to use the facilities as I needed.

- Vincent

#224588 - 11/13/05 06:07 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I am a museum educator at a small historical museum. I am onsite in an office environment most of the time. I give tours sometimes and also take programs off site a couple of times a month. There's only been one incident where I didn't know if I would make it through a program.

#224593 - 11/13/05 07:22 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm an undergraduate student, but I also work part-time in the freshmen engineering department. All of my internships (I'm in a program that does 6 months school, 6 months full-time work) have been in academia. It's a relaxed atmosphere, and as long as you get your work done, you can usually set your own pace and miss days if necessary. I've found them to be much more understanding of missing days because of illness.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#224643 - 11/13/05 02:54 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

My job is kinda hard to explain. I am sort of like tech engineering support. I have an office job and can go use the bathroom whenever I need to -- but where I work is a pretty intense environment and missing a lot of time is a big no-no. I try to make up the time as I can, but mainly I just use up all of my vacation days one at a time on being sick. Luckily my boss is very understanding.

The main problem is that I am also in an on-call rotation, so there are times when I have to answer my cell phone 24/7. When someone calls, it's invariably an emergency, and there's nothing worse with someone calling you about a system being down when you're in the throes of an attack. Also, I have found that when I am woken up at two a.m., I get super-acidy, which invariably leads to D. Lucky me.

I don't think I would mind attacks at work as much except that all the !@#$ing lights are on motion-detected timers. So if you are huddled in the bathroom stall for longer than 10-15 minutes, the lights go out. This is horrible enough, but extra-humiliating when someone walks in while you're still doubled over in agony and wonders why you're sitting there in the dark!

Overall, it's not perfect, but for someone w/ IBS, it's not too bad. If I switched jobs, I'd make sure it was still in a similar office environment.

It must be so hard to be a teacher and have IBS, especially if you are a D. I hope you figure out something that helps.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#224653 - 11/13/05 04:11 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Thanks for all your responses. You know, I get through my classes fine, usually and if I have to go in between classes there is always at least a minute to run for the bathroom. Problem is the stress of teaching is killing me. I end up staying up late a few nights a week with d, and then the lack of sleep does me in for the next day. I guess I'm just curious how other people cope. -yes I follow the diet, am finishing up my 2nd round of the hypno tapes, etc.... Thanks everyone. Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2062 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 822

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review