All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What is your occupation??
      #22215 - 10/01/03 11:19 AM
Ang

Reged: 09/22/03

I recently graduated from college with a major in elementary education but have yet to find a job! This is very frustrating. At the same time I don't know if I could handle a classroom all day with my IBS. Any teachers out there?

If you are not a teacher, what do you do and how to you cope/manage your IBS on the job? I would love to explore other occupations, but have no idea where to start!

PS- Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but thought I'd give it a try.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is your occupation?? new
      #22217 - 10/01/03 12:00 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I know that there are quite a few teachers on this board, so you are not alone! Myhusband is in fact a teacher, but trying to find a job in PA...very frustrating. I am an Interior Designer and know that my work environment causes me IBS flare ups, not so much my job. I just try to use alot of the relaxation techniques that people and HEather have posted as well as keep my teas, fibers and meds always on hand! Good luck in the job search; I am sure that something will come up for you!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#22218 - 10/01/03 12:32 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I taught first grade and IBS with that wasn't really ALL that bad because I had a bathroom in my classroom. Granted, it was only about a foot off the ground, but it worked! I'd tell the kids to keep busy and they got used to it. Thankfully my episodes with D aren't all that frequent. My pain episodes were more of a problem, and with that I'd just plug along like I still do with 3 of my own now, sit down if I have to, but just get through. Sort of don't have a choice.

I thought there was a shortage of teachers right now? Here on the East Coast anyway, they're hiring people not even certified! Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#22299 - 10/02/03 09:57 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I know there are a lot of teachers here in our "message board community". I am a graphic designer and am lucky to have a very understanding employer and co-workers who don't pay any attention to my frequent trips to the rest room. I sympathize with those who have it much worse.

Good luck on your job searching. I believe we can always use good teachers.

#22300 - 10/02/03 10:07 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I am an Administrative Assistant. I am very fortunate though because when ever I have to "go" I just call one of the boys from the back shop to cover for me.

Or the manager - he's wonderful too. I have been peeing like crazy lately too because of this baby of mine. But they are great about it.

There have been times when I have had an attack and he has been very understand when I have wasted about an hour just walking around outside or running to the washroom. Totally fine with it.

I was in sales for two years before that and it was wonderful because I could do whatever I need to do whenever. Rarely did it cause me any trouble because when I had an attack I just went home and rode it out and headed back to the office.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#22303 - 10/02/03 11:08 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I do Accounts Receivable, HR, & Payroll - so luckily my job is flexible to where I can dissapear for 30 mins or so. And nobody can say anything since I'm the supervisor to the rest of the people in the office.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#22316 - 10/02/03 03:00 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Mother to two teenagers who don't want to be seen with me, wife of a bank vice president who is usually too tired at the end of the day to talk to me, employee of no one because at age 44 I can't figure out who I want to be! But I'm the online friend to lots of IBS'ers and that makes me happy!!! Thanks, guys, for keeping me sane!

#22457 - 10/04/03 07:28 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi ANG; I guess I am lucky in that respect, I have been doing tupperware for the last few years and so, my time was my own. I chose it because of the ibs. I am now looking for something else to do at home, something computer-related, like typing oe something like that. I am thinking of trying to teach myself more computer stuff, just in case something pops up.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1575

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review