All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
High School friend has been killed in war.....
      #22081 - 09/30/03 12:08 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

During my Junior year in High School, I met a very kind young man who was my age and we became friends in our classes we had tobether. I was too shy to really pursue a relationship with him outside of school, but did have a "crush".

About nine years ago when I was still single and living in an apartment complex, I recognized that young man (8 years after we graduated) driving through my apartment complex parking lot on a daily basis. He was living there, too. I thought he was living in another state. I got the courage to write him a note expressing my interest in getting together and visiting about old times. A few weeks later, my phone rang. It was him. He wanted to know if I would like to go out that Friday and have a drink and visit. Well, just my luck....I had a horrible cold and couldn't go. That was the last I heard from him as he joined the military. A few days later, however, another man called (I had given a mutual friend permission to give him my phone number) and he and I have been together ever since. He became my husband and has the same first name as my friend from high school.

Last evening, while watching the local news, I found out that my friend ("crush") from high school has been killed in the war. He was only 34. I am shocked. My husband knew the story I just explained to you and he was very comforting.

My friend has been on my mind all day. I can see him as if it were yesterday that we were sitting in school classes together. I wish I had been more assertive and had let him know how I valued our friendship. But I was a stupid young shy girl back then.

As I read the article in the paper this morning about my friends death, I noticed several similarities between he and my husband. Not only do they have the same first name...they both share a love for the outdoors, animals, family, sincere, loving, etc. and their birthdays are only a week apart.

Isn't it strange how we can look back sometimes and realize that fate really does work. I have a wonderful husband who loves me very much and I have a wonderful life. For some reason, God didn't pair me and my friend together years ago. And if he had, I may be a widow today.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: High School friend has been killed in war..... new
      #22082 - 09/30/03 12:14 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

God does work in mysterious ways. It sounds like the Garth Brooks song...Sometimes I thank god for unanswered prayers.

I feel for you in your time of need. Please take care of yourself.

Take care of yourself,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#22086 - 09/30/03 12:26 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Ohhhh, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Thank you for sharing that story with us. I was really touched!

#22089 - 09/30/03 12:38 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I was thinking just like BL. I am sorry.

Re: ((((Hugs))))) -nt- new
      #22098 - 09/30/03 12:55 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

#22100 - 09/30/03 12:58 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I am so sorry Nugget. Virtual hugs!

Life can be very weird. That old saying runs true: The Lord works in strange and mysterious ways.

Linz

Re: ((((Hugs))))) -nt- new
      #22108 - 09/30/03 01:34 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm so sorry Nugget to hear about your friend dying. Hugs and prayers are being sent your way.

#22144 - 09/30/03 06:53 PM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. It must be rough.

When I was in high school, my first "crush" was with a guy who later joined the military. We were the best of friends until one stupid night we decided to take our friendship to the next level. Things were never the same and we, unfortunately, went our separate ways when he left for the army.

Even though I am happily married now, I still think about him. Not because I wish we were together, but because I miss the friendship bond we used to have. He really was, in high school, my best friend.

I wonder about him in the army and where he is. Is it fighting this war? Is he in another state? I wonder what his life is like and also what my life would be like now if we'd made different choices.

Keeping the memories of your friend in your heart will keep him alive.

Kristine

Thank you all for your kind thoughts....(more) new
      #22193 - 10/01/03 08:55 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

My one regret is that recently I saw him with his wife out shopping and I didn't go up to him and say "Hi". It had been so long since we had seen each other and I am still shy....I just acted like I didn't see him. I don't think he saw me. But I wish I had gone up to him and said "Hi". I didn't want to interrupt him....he and his wife were visiting with another couple. Now I won't ever have the chance again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 785 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1556

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review