All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New here-hope I am posting in the right place
      #217069 - 10/02/05 06:24 PM
sobrien

Reged: 10/02/05
Loc: Ohio

I have recently been diagnosed with IBS after two colonoscopies. I have colon cancer in my family. My doctor put me on Bentyl. I am having memory loss (I am only 31). Should I report this to my doctor? I also have constant skin itching (like hives, but none appear). He had try to put me on Robitol Forte (have no idea if I spelled that right) and I broke out in hives BAD. He was leary of putting me on anything else. A cat scan and blood tests were done as well. My problem was that I didn't have diaherea or constipation. I would go to the restroom 5 to 6 times a day (not normal for me). I would hurt so bad I would cry. It was difficult for me to actually have bowel movement (hurt). When it did finally move, it was not hard, but soft. I am so glad I found this site. I am feeling a lone with all this and need some advice and other familiar experiences.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

First of all, welcome - now, sounds like spasms new
      #217075 - 10/02/05 06:32 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I don't like the fact that you're having such bad side effects to the meds, I'd get off that if I were you (but I'm not doctor, talk to him about it for sure!!! can't just quit cold turkey either but memory loss is scary!) I have bad side effects to meds so I understand about that.

Sounds like your pain may be from bad spasms, I get that kind of pain where the BM is soft enough but it just won't come out because everything is tied up in knots inside you from the spasms. Try the teas - chamomile and peppermint, especially. They won't have the side effects of the meds and may really help you. Your doctor will probably "pooh-pooh" this idea (pun intended) but they dont' always have a clue about how natural things like herbs can really help us.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: First of all, welcome - now, sounds like spasms new
      #217077 - 10/02/05 06:34 PM
sobrien

Thank you for the advice. I will have to get some chamomille. Is pill form or tea better?

I think tea - and make sure it's pure, no other ingredients. GL!! nt new
      #217080 - 10/02/05 06:41 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Welcome! new
      #217115 - 10/03/05 12:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Do you have any other extra symptoms (like fatigue, aches)?

Remember that stress can cause memory issues and IBS is stressful! You might want to talk to your doc about going on an AD as they can help the IBS and the anxiety caused by it - they REALLY helped me cope with having it.

Re: New here-hope I am posting in the right place new
      #217210 - 10/03/05 01:15 PM
pookz

Reged: 09/30/05
Loc: South West UK

hi Im also new so nice to meet you we can be newbies together if you want

Re: Welcome! new
      #217215 - 10/03/05 01:40 PM
sobrien

I already take Zoloft for an anxiety disorder. This is something new, the memory loss. I called my doctor today and spoke with his nurse. He will either call tonight or tomorrow.

Hi there, Welcome new
      #217225 - 10/03/05 02:52 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there!
Welcome to the boards, I hope you get a chance to really look around the boards and find some really helpful information.
The memory loss and skin itching don't sound like IBS related problems, though, and I would definitely bring them to your doctor's attention. Did the memory loss start when you started the medication, or has it been going on longer than that?
Changing your diet and adopting some of the other management things for IBS should help with your bowel movements and pain. Keep in mind, there is no quick fix for IBS and it might take a while before your tummy starts acting the way you want it to and even once it starts, you have to be careful about what you are eating, etc.
We'll be here to support you along the way, glad you found the site and let us know how things are going!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Hi & Welcome! new
      #217244 - 10/03/05 04:22 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I take Bentyl also. Have been on it 1 year now (previously had taken it many years ago and it stopped working). It's been working pretty good now. It just doesn't help me at all around my "ovulation times and Period times". Which for us women is pretty much all stinkin month

I'm not sure if you were thinking that your memory loss was caused by Bentyl. I've never had that side effect. Only dry mouth when I first started taking it. No other symptoms.

Glad you had colonoscopies that came back fine. They really do help ease your mind cause sometimes IBS can make us feel like we are completely losing our minds and think that we have other dreaded illnesses.

Again, welcome and feel free to ask whatever's on your mind! We've probably heard just about everything!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Hi there, Welcome new
      #217289 - 10/04/05 04:12 AM
sobrien

The memory loss started with the medication.

Welcome to the boards, sobrien! -nt- new
      #217328 - 10/04/05 09:29 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4838 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1026

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review