All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I took today off for "me time" and I'm feeling guilty.....
      #21450 - 09/22/03 02:46 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I've got so many things that I wanted to accomplish on my days off (today and tomorrow and last Monday and the previous Friday), but the time is going by too fast and I know I won't get some things done that I wanted to get done (like starting to redecorate our bedroom). It's very rarely that I take "me time" and I have found that I don't know what to do with myself and I feel that what I have done doesn't show much. I just keep beating myself up for not being more busy on my day off. (nobody else is making me feel guilty....just myself....my husband told me to enjoy the day. Just thought I'd tell you before anyone thinks he or anyone else is making me feel guilty.) I did some yard work and gave our dogs a bath, I'm cooking dinner, I've baked dessert, I'm almost done with the laundry and am getting ready to vaccum (sp?). Does anyone else feel like this when they take a day off? I want to get back into drawing and crafting but I keep telling myself I have too many other things to do. How can I overcome this and feel good about taking a day off and taking a day to myself? I also feel like I'm being selfish if I have a day off and don't invite my mom to go to lunch or do something. So, tomorrow we are going shopping for a little while. I love my mom but for some reason I feel a little nervous when I am around her sometimes or even think about inviting her to do something. Isn't that terrible? Why? I love her...I shouldn't feel that way. I just feel overwhelmed and don't know how to handle even the simplest thing like a day off. Arrrrgggghhhh!!!!! Does anyone else have this problem?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I took today off for "me time" and I'm feeling guilty..... new
      #21459 - 09/22/03 03:27 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Nugget - I've never felt like that. Well, sometimes if it's really beautiful outside and I'm not out doing something I feel guilty like I should be doing something to enjoy the weather, but that's about the closest I've gotten.

Maybe if you try to set a timer for an hour and do one of the things you think you should be doing, then stop and the rest of the day is me time - then maybe you can relax some, because you are closer to having one of the other things done & you can tell yourself you accomplished something. Does that make sense? It's just an idea.....

#21460 - 09/22/03 03:28 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I understand how you feel Nugget. My husband never makes me feel guilty either, but it was the way we grew up. If you weren't working at something you were lazy.

What I have done to make myself feel better. I allow myself during the week to do my me time things. I work all day then come home and make supper and whatever time is left I get to scrapbook.

Then Saturdays I clean the house and Sundays I do laundry. Of course, summer is different because we aren't around, then I do my scrapbooking Sunday afternoons because I do my laundry at nights.

I kinda just set aside a day as a goal and don't feel bad about it. Everyone has a hobby.

I betcha your house isn't even messy either. I have a friend like that. She looks around and sighs. I look around her house and laugh. Don't worry - don't what makes you happy. That is what life is all about.

The house will always be there to clean.

Or if you want some elves I have found them at
1-800-NOELVES.
LOL

Take care and enjoy yourself.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#21611 - 09/23/03 07:09 PM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Nugget...I know how you feel. The same thing happens to me when I take time off. I get two weeks of vacation time at my job. One week I spend going away with my husband and the remaining five days I take throughout the year as "me" days. Those days are so precious to me (because I only have five of them) that I try hard (too hard) to make them "perfect" days. I find that it sometimes works to plan the day in advance as best you can and try to stick to it. Being spontaneous is definitely not me.

The best thing I can tell you is to make sure you do at least one thing that is strictly for fun and that's important to you, even if it's only for an hour or two. That way, you won't feel as if you're whole day was wasted.

Enjoy!!!
Kristine

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 781

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review