All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Restless Leg Syndrome?
      #214304 - 09/19/05 10:56 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I think I might have this! Anyone have it or know or anyone getting treatment for it?

I think Nelly was the one that brought it up in NYC. (I think). Well I have been thinking about it since my insomnia's gotten worse and my legs always hurt when I lie down for bed. Is that a symptom?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Restless Leg Syndrome? new
      #214308 - 09/19/05 11:02 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

I think I might have this! Anyone have it or know or anyone getting treatment for it? Kandee does..but she is out of town until Tues I think...

I think Nelly was the one that brought it up in NYC. (I think). Well I have been thinking about it since my insomnia's gotten worse and my legs always hurt when I lie down for bed. Is that a symptom?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#214316 - 09/19/05 11:30 AM
Sara-Sage

Ok thanks Shell.

LOL, yes I convinced Tina she has it. :) new
      #214320 - 09/19/05 11:41 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Since IBS and RLS are a bit part of fibro, I'm always asking IBS-ers if they kick in their sleep. Tommy insists she does!

The Nortriptyline I take at bedtime reduces the kicking, but I can't take it every day because I feel stupid the next day (it's the only way I can describe it!).

They were researching other meds for Parkinson's disease last year, and now they're available for RLS. They run daytime commercials for them, I just can't remember what name they're under.

~nelly~

Re: LOL, yes I convinced Tina she has it. :) new
      #214336 - 09/19/05 12:23 PM
Sara-Sage

ha ha,

Yes I do kick in my sleep. he told me the first night we shared a bed I woke him up because I was kicking so much. He woke up and looked at me all concerned (he says) but I was dead asleep. Now he just ignores it and knows it's not me having a seizure or anything. LOL!

If a med would make me a zombie the next day I don't think I would take it.

Thanks for the info Nelly!

#214352 - 09/19/05 01:18 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Well, the main thing is that Tina doesn't kick me at all. That could pose some problems. But... if I ever mess up she has a great excuse to kick me in a "private" area as punishment and just blame it on her condition...

--------------------

#214359 - 09/19/05 01:41 PM
Sara-Sage

ha ha ha I would NEVER do that Tommy!

I've got it! new
      #214378 - 09/19/05 02:15 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Try magnesium and potassium just before bed. And my MIL's now trying brain-work stuff like crosswords before bed cos apparently that can help - not sure how that would affect insomnia tho!

#214394 - 09/19/05 02:48 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

My legs jump just as I seem to be drifting off. I sleep on my side and my feet flop around as my legs jump. It's like my feet are clapping.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Too funny!! I have actually done that... new
      #214414 - 09/19/05 04:00 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I was awaken one night by my husband asking "What in hell did you kick me for!?" A look of shock was on his face and he had his head raised up off his pillow looking at me with both hands covering his privates. I was in that half asleep half awake stage and just said "Sorry" and went back to sleep.

The next morning he told me I kicked him really hard and forceful in his privates. And I know I kick so hard some nights I jar myself awake, so I can imagine it wass very painful. I told him it is not my fault I have RLS from my fibro. It didn't seem to ease his painful memory of the incident. And now he sleeps with his back facing me at all times. LOL!

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#214442 - 09/19/05 05:36 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

My sister in law was diagnosed with this a few weeks ago. She's been suffering with it for a long, long time, but nobody realized she had RLS. She had insomnia so bad that she was not able to sleep except for a few hours in the mornings. That was it. For months and months!

She would kick at night in bed, and keep my brother awake. When she lays down, her legs are painful, too. Her doctor prescribed a sleeping medication for her and she is finally able to get some sleep. This has made a BIG difference in her life! Her doc said that she wants to start treatment for her, but she needs to do some research on it. There are several medications that can help, but they're not without side effects; so she wants to make sure she prescribes the best one for her.

It sure does sound like this is what you have. All I can say is that there is hope for your insomnia, Tina. I know that my poor sil thought she was going crazy.

You poor thing, you've been suffering with this for a very long time. I hope you get some help for it very soon and get some much needed relief. I've watched my dear sil and I know how hard this syndrome is to live with.
Big, big hugs to you,
Terri

Hi, Terri new
      #214490 - 09/19/05 07:44 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

We haven't heard from you in awhile. How have you been? How is your husband doing? I've missed you!

#214535 - 09/20/05 05:51 AM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

I have restless legs and arm syndrome. It is very annoying to say the least.You don't get sleep at night because your legs want to keep moving thus you suffer sleep problems. Also this can effect you in the day time as well, mine does. Your legs or in my case legs and arms just feel achy, crawly, and just plain uncomfortable. I get up and walk around alot to ease some of the jumpiness. I have a RX for Klonapin. It's actually for seizures but they give it to people for restless legs as well.I am very stubborn and refuse to take it for that reason. I think Linz is correct though take magnesium. Also if you are enemic that also plays a role in restless leg syndrome. Ask your Dr. about it. Good Luck Take Care

Terry

I get the arm thing too! new
      #214567 - 09/20/05 07:29 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I've only started noticing the arm thing in the last 2 years. It's mainly when I am drifting off to sleep that I notice it, tho the leg kicking will go on all night. It's a big part of the reason I don't share a bed with my significant other, tho we've been together for 9 years.

I haven't yet found a drug that helps me with it, except soma, which just knocks me out (but it burns in my tummy). I'm hoping by the time my state sponsored insurance kicks in, I can start being treated for it. (!!!) I'm hoping that day is SOON!

~nelly~

Thanks for the helpful info Terry -nt- new
      #214592 - 09/20/05 08:23 AM
Sara-Sage

#214593 - 09/20/05 08:25 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Terri. I'm happy she's doing better. Do you know what sleep medication she is taking? And, like me, did she just think she had chronic insomnia?

Re: I've got it! new
      #214596 - 09/20/05 08:27 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Linz! Do you take either of those things?

Re: Too funny!! I have actually done that... new
      #214598 - 09/20/05 08:28 AM
Sara-Sage

Oh no Christie!

#214687 - 09/20/05 11:05 AM
Linz

I take Magnesium every night and if I'm particularly bad I eat lots of bananas for the potassium. The magnesium REALLY helps me...I go crazy at night w/out it.

#214712 - 09/20/05 11:59 AM
Sara-Sage

How much do you take?

Question for tc2004-Terry new
      #214796 - 09/20/05 04:25 PM
MissS

Terry,
I just saw in your post where you said that anemia plays a part in restless leg syndrome. My sil just found out this past week that she is anemic and she suffers rls. Do you mean that rls causes anemia or the other way around? If the anemia is taken care of will her rls get better? This is all so new to us and I've been trying to find out information for her.
Thanks,
Terri

Tina new
      #214801 - 09/20/05 04:31 PM
MissS

I don't know the name of the med she is on. I just know it's for sleeping and it's addictive so they're not going to keep her on it much longer. But, she was desperate for sleep, and I don't blame her.

Her main symptom for several years, was pain in her legs when she'd lay down. She kicks them all night, too. She'd complained about her painful legs, but the doc didn't take her seriously. She switched docs about a month ago after the insomnia hit her so severely, and that's when she was diagnosed with rls.

I feel for you, Tina. My heart goes out to you, cause I know you've suffered with insomnia for a long, long time. I hope you're able to get the help you need.
Terri

p.s. She just found out a week ago that she's anemic, too!

#214909 - 09/21/05 04:31 AM
Linz

I take this for my fibro.

#215144 - 09/22/05 08:09 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Hey Tina,

I have this whenever I am really tired. If I am watching tv and am very tired my legs start feeling like they are going to jump out of my skin. I have never been to the dr. about it and fortunately it doesn't effect me while I am sleeping. Just this little bit drives me crazy though.

--------------------
Janey

#215400 - 09/23/05 10:20 AM
Sara-Sage

Cool, thanks Linz.

Re: Tina new
      #215417 - 09/23/05 12:03 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Terri. It very hard to have this chronic insomnia. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. That's for sure.

You're so sweet, thanks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2180 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1400

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review