All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Another case of "Why Me"?
      #21365 - 09/21/03 05:18 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

This will be a long and frustrating post. Please feel free to tune out if you want. I really need to write it down to get it out more than anything.

I always thought of myself as such a positive person, determined to achieve the things I wanted and not let obstacles stand in my way.

Well this IVF obstacle is just too big to not get me down. Some of you will remember the incredible trouble I had producing ANY eggs at all in my first IVF cycle. Oh how frustrating that was. We ended up with 4 embryos; 2 we transferred in and two we froze. The first transfer was unsuccessful, the second was successful but followed by a miscarriage.

Up to the point of the miscarriage I was coping pretty well and had felt real disapointment but not shed too many tears over it. Well since the m/c I have done nothing but cry and it just won't stop. It doesn't matter where I am or who's around the tears come anyway.

The next obstacle I faced was that My Doctor (who I have known and trusted for four years) was going on holidays and would not be around to do my next egg pick up and subsequent transfer. I decided I couldn't wait for him to return and would proceed with our plans with a different doctor. I thought this would be my last hurdle for a while - WRONG!

My ovaries who were previously so uncooperative have decided to overstimulate and produce too many eggs. I can't believe it! I am sitting here now with tears rolling down my face (again!) in total disbelief. This means that they will collect the eggs and fertilise them all but all the embryos will be frozen and they won't transfer any back in this cycle. If they were to transfer two back my risk of developing Ocvarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome would be very high and it is extremely serious requiring long hospitalisation - in rare cases it can even be fatal. I might even develop it anyway without embryos being transferred back so that's something else for me to worry about. (Thank goodness cos' hey I didn't have enough on my mind!)

So the Doctor tells me that it's still really good because we will be able to freeze a good number of embryos for future use and I will only have to wait another month before doing so blah, blah, blah.

Now I have nothing against this man who came across as being vey kind and caring and obviously unwilling to put my life at risk. But I have to say I wanted to pick up anything and everything that wasn't bolted down and smash it into a million pieces. I wanted to scream that 4 weeks is like an eternity to someone who has already been waiting so long for something so precious. I wanted to scream that I'm sick and tired of being in the "rare" statistics at every twist and turn of this saga. 1% don't respond to the drugs - that was me. 15-20% miscarry - me again, In very rare cases (no percentage given) hyperstimulation occurs - you guessed it - me.

For once I just wish things would proceed normally and I could be in the large majority of women that none of these things happen to.

I feel like punching wildly at the very next person that trys to tell me any of the following statements that cause me so much pain:
look on the bright side
4 weeks isn't very long
you're still young - plenty of time
these things happen for a reason
in time you'll look back and laugh about this (my personal favourite)
it will be worth it in the end (have I ever queried this)

and there's so many more - people want to help I know but the emotional pain of all this is just so hard.

I really don't know what to do with myself today - I have another scan on Wednesday to determine the size of my follicles and then the pick up will probably happen on Friday. At this stage I am already extremely uncomfortable with tummy pain and nausea. He couldn't count the eggs there were so many. His guess was around 25, maybe 30. As you can probably imagine 25 follicles at about 18mm each warrants an extra 45cm of space in my stomach. Not pleasant at all. I'm also extremely scared that I will develop the syndrome before egg pick up and be forced to cancel the whole thing. This is apparently rare but I have done rare many times before so don't see why this time will be any different.

I'm sorry about the unhappy post but at least I have typed it all out now. I just can't believe it.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another case of "Why Me"? new
      #21372 - 09/21/03 06:02 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Oh, Kerrie, I am so sorry. I know you are extremely frustrated and so sad. I understand why you want to scream "Why me?" You have had an incredible amount of misfortune, too much for any person to have to bear. I am so sorry. I wish I could give you a big hug. If you need to cry, just go ahead and cry. And you can vent with us anytime. We are hear to listen to you and feel your pain. I know how much you want another baby and I wish there was something I could do to ease your pain. Just know that you are in our thoughts and prayers, and that we all love you and wish the best for you.
Beaglelover

#21376 - 09/21/03 08:13 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Kerrie I am so sorry you have to go through all of this. Just know you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Barb

#21391 - 09/22/03 06:20 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Oh (((((((Kerri)))))))) I am so sorry. Can I just say waiting four weeks sucks. Waiting in general for a pregnancy sucks. It feels like an eternity and you have already waited too long. Just trying to get through the weeks has got to be hard. Let us know how this week goes for you. Punch or throw a pillow or two and go ahead and cry. You will be in our prayers.

#21409 - 09/22/03 10:08 AM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Kerrie, I am so sorry.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. My heart goes out to you.

Kristine

#21424 - 09/22/03 11:26 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Kerrie,

I am so sorry to hear this...my gosh, I understand how you could be so frustrated. Like Torbetta said - 4 weeks is forever.

Your depression is probably caused from your bodies hormones changing to prepare for the baby and then it miscarry so don't feel as though it is all something you have to "snap out of." Couple that with the stress you are feeling to have a baby - and understandably you are having a heck of a time.

Please know my thoughts are with you. I truly understand what you are going through. If you want to talk - feel free to email me - my address is in my profile.

Take care,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: You're in my thoughts, Kerrie! -nt- new
      #21427 - 09/22/03 11:32 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

#21455 - 09/22/03 03:09 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kerrie,

I'm going to send you an e-mail. We love you!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#21504 - 09/23/03 05:42 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

Kerrie,

I'm so sorry that you are feeling low. I completely understand. So many people will tell you things that you don't want to hear. I know that they mean well, but they just don't understand. I can't imagine going through the miscarriages on top of the treatments. If you need to talk please email me at lovejoy_22@hotmail.com. I have been there many times feeling like no one else could possibly relate, but I know now that I was wrong.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Re: Thanks and an update new
      #21609 - 09/23/03 07:00 PM
KinOz

You're all very precious - thank you xxx

I am going in for egg pick up on Friday morning at 8am.

At the moment I am hoping and praying for three things:

good quality eggs collected on Friday

a good number of healthy embryos to be frozen on Monday

strength and patience over the next four weeks while we wait to transfer our embryos.

Love you all,
Kerrie
xx

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#21631 - 09/24/03 08:44 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I will keep everything crossed for you Kerri!

Please keep us posted!

You are in my thoughts,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#21794 - 09/26/03 07:12 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

Hi Kerrie - I hope things went well this morning. I haven't been on this board in over a week, but when I am on, seeing what's new with your IVF is one of the first things I look for. My heart ached to read your post!!! It is truly one of life's greatest and most unfair mysteries why some people who would be fabulous parents have such a hard time getting pregnant and others who should never be parents pop out babies like gumballs. All fingers and toes are crossed that your next cycle is perfect for the IVF and it is successful. I can only imagine how long each of these 28 days has been and will be for you. Prayers for peace in your heart now and a baby in your tummy soon!!
Andie

Re: Andie new
      #21799 - 09/26/03 07:43 PM
KinOz

What a beautiful way of putting it. Thank you so much!

I'm feeling a bit better today. Very sore and tired from the surgery yesterday with a very swollen tummy and nausea still but we just had some good news. Of the 31 eggs collected yeterday 22 fertilised! So on Monday I will find out how many made it to the stage of being frozen. Not all of them will make it we know but it's looking good. I'll update on Monday,

Kerrie

--------------------

Re: Andie new
      #21817 - 09/27/03 04:31 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

I just wanted to let you know that you are such an amazing person. I've read your posts, feel like I've almost followed your journey, and yet, what amazes me the most, is, despite your own personal struggles, you are still so positive and supportive of all others on the board. Though you may feel down, I don't know if you realise just how special you make others feel sometimes (a lot of the time).

I hope you are recovering from your surgery smoothly and I'm really crossing all fingers and toes for you!

Re: Thank you so much! new
      #21834 - 09/27/03 03:19 PM
KinOz

You really made me feel special with what you have said! I have received so much support from everyone here that I feel it's the least I can do to give some back. I'm not the only one with problems and they certainly aren't any more significant than the next persons.

I said to my husband just recently that I would love to be in the same room as everyone here even if just for a short time so that I could thank everyone in person. I feel as if I know everyone here.

Thanks again

Kerrie

P.S Thanks or asking, the healing from the surgery itself is going well though the hyperstimulation won't quit. It seems we may have a return trip to hospital on the cards for treatment for that but that's OK as long as I hear some good news about the number of "frozen babies" we have tomorrow it will be well worth it.

--------------------

Re: Thank you so much! new
      #21873 - 09/28/03 02:05 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

I meant what I said and I can understand entirely where you're coming from. The people on here are like a family and it is so clear how much everyone pulls together to support each other in the 'tough times.'

I prayed for you last night and I hope it's good news for you tomorrow.

That's great news, Kerrie! Praying for more good news on Monday. ---nt- new
      #21884 - 09/28/03 07:22 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3820 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3042

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review