All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
well did I give myself an attack or what???!!!
      #211829 - 09/08/05 02:28 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Lord help me. I gave myself the most horrible attack last night. University started two weeks ago and up till now (these last few years) I have been completing courses to fulfill the endless prerequisites needed to even begin a course to become a registered dietician...and now I have begun the three semesters of intensity to getting my RD qualitification. The course is soooo intense. The lectures are two and a half hours long and sometimes only a break of 20 minutes between the lectures. They take attendance and you really can't miss lectures, they are so important. There is endless homework, presentations, volunteer work. I am also working part time while doing this and finding time to exercise and cook and homework. This is crazy! Anyway...last night I was so overtired and overwhelmed with the endless work that I just started shaking and had D! Was so nauseous and couldn't breathe...it was so yucky. I really hope I manage to deal with this better soon. The change is difficult after a few years of having more leisure time and being my own time boss. Now I have to be in a class at a certain time or else!!
Phew. I love the fact that there is this board to express our feelings on. Thank you for being there XXXX

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: well did I give myself an attack or what???!!! new
      #211841 - 09/08/05 02:57 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Don't worry - it gets a little easier after a while Dalia once you get used to it! Just try not to take on too much and make sure you schedule yourself some relax time. Do you do yoga?

I'm in the same boat you are, except I'm working 1 job full-time (6 full days a week!), another job part-time, and going to school full-time. Plus I've been trying to hit the gym after class at 8:30pm so I get home exausted. I was just telling my BF that I really need his help in planning and preparing meals for me because my IBS is getting really out of whack and been feeling dizzy.

Hope things get less crazy for you, Dalia!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#211843 - 09/08/05 03:10 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

thanks so much! I do yoga nearly every day...its like a sanity MUST for me. You have LOADS on your plate. Wow. I tend to be quite anxious as a person so this kind of lifestyle really enhances it. Thank you for your lovely reply XXX

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Understand! new
      #211853 - 09/08/05 04:25 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I drank my way through university. I swear that's how I got through. how did I manage to work 6 days a week, teach my practicum and do a special ed project while pregnant? How do we survive??
I guess we just really feel it in our guts. hang in there, baby. And do hypnosis or something at night. Find your happy place;)

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#211854 - 09/08/05 04:27 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hang in there, sweetie! I remember my 4th year of university. It was so intense. My 5th year was much easier (Teachers college which was a joke). Take it a step at a time. You'll get through it all. I remember telling myself (cause I was such a perfectionist) that after you graduate, it doesn't matter whether you got an A+ or a C-. It's that you passed the course. In ten years, it's not going to matter. Cut yourself some slack. Take good care of yourself. Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#211873 - 09/08/05 05:35 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Hey Dalia,

I feel for you! It sounds like the sort of thing I do to myself. Take on too much work, and feel the need give it more time and energy than I'm actually capable of because of the ibs. Those types of attacks are moments where I re-evealuate what I'm doing in my life and look for where I have been seeing "absolute musts" when there are always choices. Okay maybe I'm getting too self-helpish, but its true that sometimes attacks are wake up calls that you're too out of balance. I assume you can't change your schedule but you can change your attitude in class, you can notice if you're breathing during those long lectures, etc... Hang in there.
Dan

PS I would have loved to meet you and the newlyweds, I mean newly-engageds tomorrow but I've got my own overwhelming life transition to deal with at the moment (my wife and I are back to work this week for the 1st time since she had the baby). Hopefully you and i will still meet up sometime soon...

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#211875 - 09/08/05 06:00 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Yup, I think you did it to yourself! STRESS is a monster, isn't it? However...I know you can beat it versus be beaten by it. It sounds like most University days that I experienced. Did it go away? Nope. Maybe I should have tried some hypno. or taken some drugs to 'calm' me. I admit, though, the bullying stress did help me overachieve. NOW, if only I can wrestle up some balls at at least take a crappy calligraphy course just for the zen mindful mindless pleasure of it. That and some knitting.

Truly, Daliatree, I admire--no envy--your guts, your courage. I'd love to go back to school and continue the Holistic Health practitioner program I ditched. I dream of completing my degree in Classical Studies/English lit. Alas, though, I consider myself a loser who can't handle real life.

Kate.

#211901 - 09/08/05 08:59 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

ugh honey I feel your pain. Grad school sucks.

I have10 hours of classes
20 hours of a practicum/internship
PLUS I waitress three nights a week

ontop of endless papers, tests, psych evals, psycholgical reports for school and internship etc.

ITS SO MUCH.. it hard not to give yourself D every once in awhile. feel better hun!

--------------------

Sending lots of hugs...... new
      #211910 - 09/09/05 02:53 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

from your home country, Im so sorry you had a horrible D attack dalia, they are so horrible when you get those nauseous shaky ones that seem to last forever and are soooo painful....I hope tummy is feeling a little bit better now....dont push yourself too hard, I can imagine going from being able to be your own boss to going back to the stress of uni will be hard, tummy probably wont like it for a while and I dont know what advice to give but try to accept that this is gona be a hard time for a little while and none of us are robots, theres only so much our little bodies can handle(and less in our cases) Dont push yourself too hard, take it all one step at a time and what about letting some of your lecturers know you have health issues and may find it hard sometimes getting to lectures?? I know I always avoid that one but Im thinking I may have to let them know properly this year, which is my final degree year and Im sooooo stressed just even thinking about it. I kinda didnt work as hard as I could last year, luckily it doesnt count towards my degree but everything this year does so I know I have to put in that extra effort. Im hoping tummy is gona cope with the adjustment when I go back in 2 weeks btu after quite a relaxing summer Im sure its gona feel it big time when I start working again. Think how great it will be when its all over and how hard you've worked over the past years....I think its great that you've coped so well and done so much despite all your tummy problems....make sure you have special rest time for you.....I hope things get better....and aunty natalie says REST!!

--------------------
Natalie

This is Tina using Tommy's username... new
      #211923 - 09/09/05 05:29 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I'm so sorry Dalia. I am like you and can't have too much on my plate or else I get overwhelmed. I'm so sorry. I hope you feel better today.

I can't wait to meet you tonight!!!!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6408 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1330

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review